Voluntary layoffs

wilberforce15

Hate to break it to you but PTers today have no interest in driving. Used to talk to a bunch of them my last year or two in package. For every one that said they wanted to drive, 15 laughed and said no way. I’m not taking the abuse you guys deal with, I’m not working that hard everyday. I’m not working 12 hours a day. When do I play call of duty if I’m working 12 hours a day.

That's what they say to make you feel better.

Really, they don't want the broken homes, alimony, child support, and drinking problem.

wilberforce15

Maybe I read that wrong. I thought were discussing pt timers going into driving, not management.

Bitter old men who realized they wasted their life at work, when that work dropped a bomb on their families, who are then too hurt to do much in a retirement they can't even afford...sure,sign me up!

Meeting a ton of drivers helped me make the best decision of my life. Don't drive

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Bitter old men who realized they wasted their life at work, when that work dropped a bomb on their families, who are then too hurt to do much in a retirement they can't even afford...sure,sign me up!

Meeting a ton of drivers helped me make the best decision of my life. Don't drive
Try this:

1.) 9.5 list. Use it.
2.) Keep your eyes moving but not at the girls in panties that answer the door. Dont touch, leave the area, notify your wife and the situation will diffuse in your mind.
3.) STOP RUNNING.
4.) Use every method and what doesn't get done will be off your truck in a few days after it's continously missed.
5.) Work honestly every day.
6.) Get to know your BA.
7.) No matter what happens at home dont make your relationship with anyone on your route more important than the people in your home and as much as it is in your power be faithful to the person you promised to love, cherish, and honor...and to the little ones who live with the pain forever if you don't.

I've been married about 40 years to the same girl. It's been rocky at times but these are the things I had to learn and apply to my life in this messed up world because it the only thing that I know works.

wilberforce15

Try this:

1.) 9.5 list. Use it.
2.) Keep your eyes moving but not at the girls in panties that answer the door. Dont touch, leave the area, notify your wife and the situation will diffuse in your mind.
3.) STOP RUNNING.
4.) Use every method and what doesn't get done will be off your truck in a few days after it's continously missed.
5.) Work honestly every day.
6.) Get to know your BA.
7.) No matter what happens at home dont make your relationship with anyone on your route more important than the people in your home and as much as it is in your power be faithful to the person you promised to love, cherish, and honor...and to the little ones who live with the pain forever if you don't.

I've been married about 40 years to the same girl. It's been rocky at times but these are the things I had to learn and apply to my life in this messed up world because it the only thing that I know works.

Those are great tips for someone already locked into it. The better answer is still not to be one.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I'm a second gen UPSer.

My parents have been happily married 31 ish years. Still in good physical health. With plenty of money.
Driving isn't for everyone.

But if you aren't an idiot, it's absolutely a viable, and good solution.
@Boywondr's list looks to be said about as well as it can be.

UPS is a long, slow grind. And I know a lot of bitter old men who do it. It brings out the worst in some people, and the best in others.
And thanks to free will, you get to pick which. :-)