Voluntary layoffs

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Thats what off the street guys say to make themselves feel better
They should load for a couple of weeks at the $8 rate and then drive their 30 days so they would respect the folks that make the system work since off the street hires have no clue about ups and no respect for what it takes to give drivers good loads.

Ghost in the Darkness

I worked 6 years as a preloader, 14 as a full time driver. Load doesn't have to be perfect, get stuff close to where it needs to be and keep multiple pc stops together. Listen to the driver in regards to what bulk stops to put in back and you will get better with experience.

I like driving better but it grinds you more, longer days, winter and darkness make it more challenging and walking steps all day takes its toll on your knees. I know there is value in loaders. Keep in mind there are days I load half the truck thats stacked on the dock. I get it, you get it shoved down your throats, we do too. You can go home when the drivers start, we deliver packages until the truck is empty or we are out of hours.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I worked 6 years as a preloader, 14 as a full time driver. Load doesn't have to be perfect, get stuff close to where it needs to be and keep multiple pc stops together. Listen to the driver in regards to what bulk stops to put in back and you will get better with experience.

I like driving better but it grinds you more, longer days, winter and darkness make it more challenging and walking steps all day takes its toll on your knees. I know there is value in loaders. Keep in mind there are days I load half the truck thats stacked on the dock. I get it, you get it shoved down your throats, we do too. You can go home when the drivers start, we deliver packages until they are gone or we are out of hours.
At $57/hr.
We will make more in over time pay than the pt timers make all week minus some incentive show up bonus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats what off the street guys say to make themselves feel better

Feel better about what?

I had absolutely no idea how UPS ran before putting my application in. I had no idea that the workers were unionized or about the "unwritten rule" of having to work my way up from the inside before getting a chance to go driving.

Truth be told, if I would have had to start off on the inside, I would have turned the job down and looked elsewhere. I had a young family and it wouldn't have been fair to my (ex) wife for me to have taken a PT job while she was working FT (as an RN).

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Feel better about what?

I had absolutely no idea how UPS ran before putting my application in. I had no idea that the workers were unionized or about the "unwritten rule" of having to work my way up from the inside before getting a chance to go driving.

Truth be told, if I would have had to start off on the inside, I would have turned the job down and looked elsewhere. I had a young family and it wouldn't have been fair to my (ex) wife for me to have taken a PT job while she was working FT (as an RN).
The issue isn't about your attitude then, but it is about your attitude now.
If you had worked inside you would have had a little different perspective about the Union and what actually goes on there from the ground up. Then again, some people come in with no spine and leave the same way.

I'm not saying that is you, I'm just sayin...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well I have a family that i earn a living to support & and i have seniority. I'm not a lazy fukkturd trying to mooch the system like you. Go to work or quit.

Who's trying to mooch the system. We do not have voluntary lay offs here, and if it ever does get up to me, you'll be long out of a job.

Until 2 weeks ago, my unemployment, if I was laid off, would be $647/wk and I would have to pay $490/wk for COBRA, which would net me $147/wk. You call this trying to mooch the system? You're clueless.

Ghost in the Darkness

Perhaps lower seniority person could have started sooner... make it work or move on.

Just shut up Mug and go to work, its not about the part timer... the baby just wants a break. He tired... he see an opportunity to not get up and put him work shoes on....him looking for an angle.
Just man up and do your job. You're not some part time hero, you are just an idiot.... management material actually.. looking for ways to get out of work.
Btw, if there were layoffs here they wouldn't come anywhere even close to me.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

And you degrade part timers who are waiting in line to get a full time job...doing their "time" which you know nothing about.

If fact, oh pompous one, when you were hired in it was 2 for 1.
So, more off the street hires bumped part timers than today. "My union representation" corrected that disgraceful slap in the face for part timers and it changed to 6 for 1.

You need to treat the "disposable" part time Teamsters who loaded your trucks (often 1000 pcs a set per day), got up at 3 am with a promise of 3.5 hrs at $8.00 an hour and no benefits, no vacations, no paid holidays, so you can whine about your load. They wait multiple years in many places for the job that you took for granted and from your perch all knowingly still degrade them for grinding out two jobs with the hope of having a job that you were handed, with "just a high school diploma".

Dude, you to earn some respect for those less fortunate.
Hate to break it to you but PTers today have no interest in driving. Used to talk to a bunch of them my last year or two in package. For every one that said they wanted to drive, 15 laughed and said no way. I’m not taking the abuse you guys deal with, I’m not working that hard everyday. I’m not working 12 hours a day. When do I play call of duty if I’m working 12 hours a day.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Hate to break it to you but PTers today have no interest in driving. Used to talk to a bunch of them my last year or two in package. For every one that said they wanted to drive, 15 laughed and said no way. I’m not taking the abuse you guys deal with, I’m not working that hard everyday. I’m not working 12 hours a day.
Hate to break it to you but we have a sign up intent sheet with 11 part timers wanting to become ft drivers. All from this year.
Even more wanting to be vacation replacement drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The issue isn't about your attitude then, but it is about your attitude now.
If you had worked inside you would have had a little different perspective about the Union and what actually goes on there from the ground up. Then again, some people come in with no spine and leave the same way.

I'm not saying that is you, I'm just sayin...

While you were tossing packages inside a warehouse I was serving our country. Checkmate.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Hate to break it to you but we have a sign up intent sheet with 11 part timers wanting to become ft drivers. All from this year.
Even more wanting to be vacation replacement drivers.
People just sign the list because they can.
45 signed and I suspect only 15-20 are serious. and most have less than 1-2 years seniority.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
While you were tossing packages inside a warehouse I was serving our country. Checkmate.
I was 17 when I was in my freshman year of college.
I quit school and signed up for the service in 76, took the testing and scored 97% and was disqualified for health reasons, extremely flat feet. I would've served but they wouldn't take me. I still remember the ugly green walls of the selective service office.

Served your country? You didnt get free room and board? Free healthcare? You didnt get paid? And so what has that got to do with having an arrogant attitude toward people? Did being in the service teach you about serving someone else besides yourself because it surely doesn't show on here.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
People just sign the list because they can.
45 signed and I suspect only 15-20 are serious. and most have less than 1-2 years seniority.
Not here. We have many that want this job as a career. I know almost everyone of them who signed personally. There are several drivers ready to retire and they see an opportunity to be making $40/hr by the time they're in their mid 20s.