Voter Suppression

moreluck

golden ticket member
Richmond, Va. (AP) — Virginia law will require all voters to have photo IDs beginning next year.
Gov. Bob McDonnell signed a bill Tuesday that his fellow Republicans said was a safeguard against voter fraud. Democrats bitterly denounced the legislation as a Jim Crow-era tactic to suppress the votes of the elderly, minorities and the underprivileged.

The legislation provides for a free valid ID with the bearer’s photo to any registered voter who lacks one.
Along with signing the legislation, McDonnell issued an executive order directing the State Board of Elections to start a public education program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 congressional and U.S. Senate elections.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Richmond, Va. (AP) — Virginia law will require all voters to have photo IDs beginning next year.
Gov. Bob McDonnell signed a bill Tuesday that his fellow Republicans said was a safeguard against voter fraud. Democrats bitterly denounced the legislation as a Jim Crow-era tactic to suppress the votes of the elderly, minorities and the underprivileged.

The legislation provides for a free valid ID with the bearer’s photo to any registered voter who lacks one.
Along with signing the legislation, McDonnell issued an executive order directing the State Board of Elections to start a public education program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 congressional and U.S. Senate elections.

What sort of proof is required to get an ID?

Sounds like this will go to the Supremes, and rather quickly.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The past few days, I've had to show valid ID to eat at The Feast buffet at Boulder Station.....complaining voters, get over it and grow up !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
But… but… but… Jim Crow… but… but… but… racism!
Via Politico Playbook:
Atlanta Journal-Constitution p. A1, “Voter turnout surges amid five-year ID law: ‘Rhetoric on both sides’ overblown, AJC review finds,” by Shannon McCaffrey (who moved to AJC from AP last year): “Few things stir as much political passion as voter ID laws. Since Georgia lawmakers passed one of the nation’s first and strictest laws in 2005, each side has charged the other with trying to undermine the electoral process. When Georgia became one of the first states in the nation to demand a photo ID at the ballot box, both sides served up dire predictions.
Opponents labeled it a Jim Crow-era tactic that would suppress the minority vote. Supporters insisted it was needed to combat fraud that imperiled the integrity of the elections process. But both claims were overblown, according to a review by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of statewide voting patterns [in general elections] in the five years since the law took effect. … Georgia’s ID law has been in place for two major statewide general elections: 2008 and 2010.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

island1fox

Obamacare website must make us all feel safe and secure with "government.

Websites for voter registration offer forms and very basic questions --like ---Are you a citizen of the U.S. ? and Will you be over 18 before the next election ---supply home address and cell number -----Bang --you are registered to vote.

The websites go on to say --your State MAY ask for a photo I.D. or a utlity bill showing your name and address.

Where does the government make sure the person voting is a CITIZEN ???:sad-little:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I am required to ask for a valid US gov't Id for every parcel picked up and for everyone shipping out .
But our gov't does not require one to vote .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My state requires permits & gun registration after a full background check .
Like island1fox stated can the gang bangers justify themselves as legal , responsible gun owners ?

Nimnim

The Nim
Ya, but none of you want gun registration, eh?

TOS

Can you name one state that doesn't have a form of photo id or background check required to legally purchase a gun?

I'm not going to say there isn't one, because I'm of the opinion that there isn't (though I can't say for sure), but if you're going to make this kind of remark then you should be willing to provide evidence to support your assertation.

And a little more on topic, I've got no problem showing my state issued drivers license to go vote. Hell when I went to renew my drivers license last week one of the questions was "are you registered to vote." I'm almost certain they ask that for people just getting state issued ids as well. For the record an id card in Florida costs $25 now and lasts at least 6 years, possibly 8 since that's what my license lasts for now with twice the cost. If someone can't afford $25 for something that lasts that long that is required for so many other things, like going to see a rated R movie, then that's not my problem. Oh wait though, Florida has a number of other options as long as it's a picture id, like a bank card with your photo on it, or a student id, or even your public assistance identification.

Last edited: