wake up....

gorilla75jdw

stop worrying about it , dont get caught up in managements head games . you are a hourly i presume , and a Teamster , so act like one . we are not based on productivity . just follow the methods and do your job and go home .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shouldn't the expectation and the production increase as there are improvements technology, knowledge, methods, ability, and equipment? Back in the 30s the probably did 20 stops and felt like it was nearly impossible to do a single additional stop.

Complacency is a detriment to business and progress in general. Achieving more requires higher expectations.

Everyone, everywhere does more, produces more and expects more now than in prior years. It's progress.

When progress stops, others will pass by.

You make an excellent point but the line between expected production and excessive production has been blurred.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Shouldn't the expectation and the production increase as there are improvements technology, knowledge, methods, ability, and equipment? Back in the 30s the probably did 20 stops and felt like it was nearly impossible to do a single additional stop.

Complacency is a detriment to business and progress in general. Achieving more requires higher expectations.

Everyone, everywhere does more, produces more and expects more now than in prior years. It's progress.

It is healthy to constantly strive for improvement, and to set ambitious goals.

It is not healthy to obsessively pursue an expectation that has no basis in reality.

Too many of the metrics that we use to define success or improvement are entirely arbitrary. They are imposed by people who have never done our job and/or have no real concept of what it is we have to do on a daily basis.

Success involves more than continuous improvement. It also requires humility, part of which involves a willingess to admit when one is wrong...or in UPS's case, a willingess to admit when a particular goal or metric may not be realistic.

Complacency is indeed a detriment to business and progress in general. So is chasing impossible metrics right off the edge of a cliff. True success requires one to find the happy medium between these two extremes.

packageguy

No, some of them are just smarter and harder working.

I can accept the fact that there are people who will score better on a test than me. I can also accept that there are people who can run my route faster than me. As long as they are doing it honestly...then I am secure enough in my own ego that I dont begrudge them their superior ability. Good things happen when gifted people apply themselves, and it serves no purpose for those with lesser abilities to try and hold them back.

What I refuse to do...is to get drawn into any sort of "production contest" with a guy half my age who speeds through residential neighborhoods, skips his lunch, screws my customers out of the service that they are paying for, and ultimately screws the company I work for by getting into expensive accidents or getting injured through his own negligence. In the short term he might make his supervisor look a little better on paper; but in the long term his behavior is bad for him, bad for the customer, and bad for the company.

Very well written

I too piss in the kool aid, lol

Im pretty sure the improvements in technology havent put legs on packages that allow themselves to walk to the door by themselves yet...hmmmm,use all 340 methods during your day and let me know what your over-allowed was! Its people like you that need to "wake up"

DorkHead

awesome song by Rage Against the Machine. Starts out like the song Kashmir by Zepplin only on steroids.

[video=youtube;gsN3nptiz3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsN3nptiz3M[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: