Wally's list of things that make Package Car drivers heads want to explode!

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Finding out the hand cart does not have a strap and you have a 15 piece bulk stop you have to walk 100 feet to deliver. ( I now carry a backup strap in my bag )

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
When the mechanic pulls your truck but doesn't pull your supplies and water jug off. That pisses me off.
We get warned the day before

But one of our mechanics has started rotating trucks from high mile routes to low mile routes so his PMIs don't blaze up on him so fast. So now you never know when it's going to go but it's usually just a few spots over.

Overpaid Union Thug

We get warned the day before

But one of our mechanics has started rotating trucks from high mile routes to low mile routes so his PMIs don't blaze up on him so fast. So now you never know when it's going to go but it's usually just a few spots over.
That would cause quite the crap storm here. The mentality here is that the truck is part of the route. With the exception of a few "special" drivers being catered to when their trucks are out of the lineup, or when those same drivers bid a new route and want to take "their" trucks with them, our trucks stay put.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
That would cause quite the crap storm here. The mentality here is that the truck is part of the route. With the exception of a few "special" drivers being catered to when their trucks are out of the lineup, or when those same drivers bid a new route and want to take "their" trucks with them, our trucks stay put.
Not here

If it's brown and has your work in it you drive it

A guy bid a route with a standard

Guy got a Drs not saying "must have automatic"

center manager put him on TAW light duty until he was restriction free

He was back on the PC as soon as he could get a DRs note saying he was clear

To be honest though our management team doesn't play games much and doesn't appreciate when prima donnas play games. They will work with older drivers who have real issues and don't play games with fake DRs notes

I know it isn't like that everywhere

Overpaid Union Thug

Not here

To be honest though our management team doesn't play games much and doesn't appreciate when prima donnas play games. They will work with older drivers who have real issues and don't play games with fake DRs notes

The trucks are supposed to be assigned according to the needs of the routes. I agree with that. Here the trucks have typically been assigned that way and are kept there until new trucks arrive. It's been like that for so long that the trucks are unofficially part of the bidding process.

The drawback is that we now have city routes that are crammed into automatic 700s and semi-rural routes going out half empty in newer automatic 800s. The "special" drivers that have those 700s refuse to switch to bigger trucks. They claim that they need less work. Not a bigger truck. LOL.

clean hairy

Not here

The Driver sure does get well in a hurry and cleared to drive a Standard again when they see they will not get an automatic, I would guess!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
H
The trucks are supposed to be assigned according to the needs of the routes. I agree with that. Here the trucks have typically been assigned that way and are kept there until new trucks arrive. It's been like that for so long that the trucks are unofficially part of the bidding process.

The drawback is that we now have city routes that are crammed into automatic 700s and semi-rural routes going out half empty in newer automatic 800s. The "special" drivers that have those 700s refuse to switch to bigger trucks. They claim that they need less work. Not a bigger truck. LOL.
Here, volume dictates size, seniority dictates age.

I.e the most senior driver in need of a p12 gets the newest p-12 and so on

The exceptions being high mileage routes that rotate with lower mileage routes so all trucks that size have roughly the same mileage.

And, routes within 10 mins of the buildings have the worst trucks because if they have a chronic break down issue they put them close to the building so it's not a long drive for the mechanics.

But when it comes down to it, if it is brown, runs, and has your work on it then stfu

By The Book

Finding out the hand cart does not have a strap and you have a 15 piece bulk stop you have to walk 100 feet to deliver. ( I now carry a backup strap in my bag )
When do you make 2 trips with your handcart on that 15 piece bulk stop that has a 100 foot walk? 300 lbs....400 lbs. 2 trips is safer....don't be a hero.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
When do you make 2 trips with your handcart on that 15 piece bulk stop that has a 100 foot walk? 300 lbs....400 lbs. 2 trips is safer....don't be a hero.
Depends on the size of the boxes. It will typically be two trips.
Most of the hand carts have a strap and it makes life a little easier

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I first started driving, the old steel hand trucks we used often had a piece of rope tied to them to help hold down a big pile of boxes. Those ropes seemed to have disappeared once we went to using the current aluminum hand trucks.