Wally's list of things that make Package Car drivers heads want to explode!

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
please take a picture of said strap.
they aren't on the ones here.
This the one I keep in my bag
hand cart strap 2.jpg

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The trucks are supposed to be assigned according to the needs of the routes. I agree with that. Here the trucks have typically been assigned that way and are kept there until new trucks arrive. It's been like that for so long that the trucks are unofficially part of the bidding process.

The drawback is that we now have city routes that are crammed into automatic 700s and semi-rural routes going out half empty in newer automatic 800s. The "special" drivers that have those 700s refuse to switch to bigger trucks. They claim that they need less work. Not a bigger truck. LOL.
I'm one of those city guys but not for that reason. I have a new auto 800 and they tried putting me in a new 1000 auto. I often have to parallel park or park betwen light poles half on the sidewalk of a 1way street or cut tight angles into underground parking garages and the bigger truck doesn't work on my route. My on car realized I was right after I pointed those things out.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Depends on the size of the boxes. It will typically be two trips.
Most of the hand carts have a strap and it makes life a little easier
I used to pile a ridiculous amount of stuff super high on my handtruck until it tipped over and almost killed a toddler. Never again.

Boulevard859710

We get warned the day before

But one of our mechanics has started rotating trucks from high mile routes to low mile routes so his PMIs don't blaze up on him so fast. So now you never know when it's going to go but it's usually just a few spots over.
They don't warn us at all. I would have absolutely no problem pulling my stuff otherwise.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm one of those city guys but not for that reason. I have a new auto 800 and they tried putting me in a new 1000 auto. I often have to parallel park or park betwen light poles half on the sidewalk of a 1way street or cut tight angles into underground parking garages and the bigger truck doesn't work on my route. My on car realized I was right after I pointed those things out.
In your situation that makes sense. Those newer automatic 800s (which is what I have) are great for in town or semi rural areas. I'm talking about city drivers in smaller 700s (particularly the autos with the really low mirrors) that belong in rural areas going out stuffed like pigs when they should have an 800 or bigger. That's wacky.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Struggling to get that large over sized 150lb furniture wall unit out of the truck as the woman of the house watches from the front window. I struggle to get in on my hand truck. I struggle to finally get it to the front door and she appears at the front door and tells me that she needs to refuse that package. Why, oh why, did she not tell that to me when I still had that heavy sucker still in the truck. That vein in the center of my forehead stood out for the rest of the day. Blood pressure, you know.

wayfair

swollen member
Struggling to get that large over sized 150lb furniture wall unit out of the truck as the woman of the house watches from the front window. I struggle to get in on my hand truck. I struggle to finally get it to the front door and she appears at the front door and tells me that she needs to refuse that package. Why, oh why, did she not tell that to me when I still had that heavy sucker still in the truck. That vein in the center of my forehead stood out for the rest of the day. Blood pressure, you know.

I ALWAYS make sure someone is home before getting that beast out of the PC`

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I ALWAYS make sure someone is home before getting that beast out of the PC`
Yes, this happened years ago while I was still a green horn. I learned to do that very quickly with large items....and computer systems. Remember when DELL and GATEWAY used to come in 3-4 boxes....all signature required?

wayfair

swollen member
Yes, this happened years ago while I was still a green horn. I learned to do that very quickly with large items....and computer systems. Remember when DELL and GATEWAY used to come in 3-4 boxes....all signature required?

yes, pc, 20 inch monitor and printer....

learned the hard way with 3 story apartments

rod

Retired 22 years
I carried so much crap of my own --- a heavy coat, rain coat, extra pants, shorts, long and short sleeve shirts, over shoes, snacks, water bottle, card catalog (old timers will remember those), letter box supplies, a couple of tape guns, extra tape, 2-wheel cart and my radio I would have never gave up the truck that was assigned to my route. It was a major move to a different truck when the mechanic held it for a day or two for repair. I carried so much stuff I barely had room for any packages.

wayfair

swollen member
I carried so much crap of my own --- a heavy coat, rain coat, extra pants, shorts, long and short sleeve shirts, over shoes, snacks, water bottle, card catalog (old timers will remember those), letter box supplies, a couple of tape guns, extra tape, 2-wheel cart and my radio I would have never gave up the truck that was assigned to my route. It was a major move to a different truck when the mechanic held it for a day or two for repair. I carried so much stuff I barely had room for any packages.
yes, getting a borrowed 500, lucky to have working heater..

Savvy412

Or lugging that 135 pounder out.

And then seeing a call tag for that stop
Next morning and praying it's not it ... Then it is. .. But it's one of your first stops and your bricked out so you have to come back later . And all day your just dreading it . And then next morning it being on your truck AGAIN! Because I guess the first time they ordered the wrong one .

This happened last week #fml

Gear

Parts on Order
When the mechanic pulls your truck but doesn't pull your supplies and water jug off. That pisses me off.

This is a union job, I dont get paid to move you garbage from truck to truck. You are a big boy, move your own crap. How am I suppose to tell the difference between your water bottles and urine bottles? I dont think so. Maybe you are a clean person and not a dirt ball. Guess what? There are alot of dirty drivers, with garbage piled up in the back. Im not moving your urine bottles or your rotten sandwich.