Want PVDs next year?

Would you want PVDs next year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Indecisi0n

We are thinking ahead into the future. You aren't.

Amazon is growing stronger every year. Fedex is on the decline. The reason why we need PVDs is to give the company the flexibility to get out from under people that can't see the bottom line. The company can't compete with Fulltime RCPDs only. Too much money spent on healthcare, OT, regular hourly top rate wages, gas that UPS pays for itself, etc.....

A PVD driver is like Amazon flex drivers. I understand about having our Union brothers hire more, but we need to be open minded. IF we don't evolve, UPS will go bust against Amazon. Then everyone will lose their jobs as the Company declares bankruptcy. Think it can't happen?

Think again.
Banning you right now.

Skull_Leader

Times-r changin!
You've had it good the past 30+ years. But there's no way we can compete against $16/hr, no/weak bennies the way we are.
I just hope that I get in, in time to take advantage of it all before it all goes kaput.
But more than likely, I'll get dragged into a 22.4 (which is still way better than Amazon)

take your time

Banning you right now.

I don't think that's what you want to do, bud.....

dont think so.jpg

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Times-r changin!
You've had it good the past 30+ years. But there's no way we can compete against $16/hr, no/weak bennies the way we are.
I just hope that I get in, in time to take advantage of it all before it all goes kaput.
But more than likely, I'll get dragged into a 22.4 (which is still way better than Amazon)

"We" aren't competing against Amazon.
You are going to be competing for a spot in the unemployment line.

Mainerider

Is this it? You use your own car that you paid to maintain and the gas that you bought, but we’re still supposed to consider you a “seasonal” driver and not a subcontractor? Got it.

Correct. A subcontractor doesn’t pay a $300 union initiation fee and doesn’t pay regular union dues on top of the initiation fee. PVDs are Teamsters. I have my Teamsters packet. I am a union member just like you. Just like I was a union member for 20 years in the Newspaper Guild and our Local’s Treasurer for 4 of those years.

And using your own vehicle doesn’t make you a de facto subcontractor; Our Sales Team was also union and we used our own vehicles and received the annual IRS-allowed reimbursement amount.

I don’t understand how a few on here have such a hard time grasping the PVD position... a new position, by the way, that your union bargained over and signed off on...

I sat on the bargaining committee for several of our contract rounds and I understand the process. Always a Quid pro Quo. When your leadership agreed to the PVD position they (you) got something back for it. Probably the $300 union initiation fee that goes straight into the union coffers, that will help with paying for future grievances, etc.

Mainerider

LMAO

best post of the day

you’re an idiot

Sure, I’m an idiot... An idiot who works as a PVD for 6 or 7 weeks because I choose to, not because I have to...

I heard the same crap from people just like you every time we finished up a new contract. “We got sold down the river by our leadership, blah blah blah, etc”

Sit down for 6 months or a years in endless boring dragged out negotiation meetings and see how much you enjoy it. If you can do better than your current leadership step up and let them know...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sure, I’m an idiot... An idiot who works as a PVD for 6 or 7 weeks because I choose to, not because I have to...

I heard the same crap from people just like you every time we finished up a new contract. “We got sold down the river by our leadership, blah blah blah, etc”

Sit down for 6 months or a years in endless boring dragged out negotiation meetings and see how much you enjoy it. If you can do better than your current leadership step up and let them know...

just let me know what was gained by giving PVD’s

Mainerider

You’ve got one of the best union contracts out there, with great wages and benefits. Great wages and benefits that came about from union members long before you fighting management over decades for those bennies.

Until you’ve actually volunteered your time being in bargaining sessions... bored, frustrated, pissed off, etc for months and months at a time I wouldn’t be too hard on your leadership. And sometimes, the quid pro quo can be just the other side agreeing not to go after something even more valuable.

Each Contract is just a single battle in the long war and sometimes you just have to decide which issue is currently worth falling on your sword for...

You’ve got one of the best union contracts out there, with great wages and benefits. Great wages and benefits that came about from union members long before you fighting management over decades for those bennies.

Until you’ve actually volunteered your time being in bargaining sessions... bored, frustrated, pissed off, etc for months and months at a time I wouldn’t be too hard on your leadership. And sometimes, the quid pro quo can be just the other side agreeing not to go after something even more valuable.

Each Contract is just a single battle in the long war and sometimes you just have to decide which issue is currently worth falling on your sword for...
Beat it Barney

Indecisi0n

This is what I been trying to tell @burrheadd , best contract ever !

clipperman

Correct. A subcontractor doesn’t pay a $300 union initiation fee and doesn’t pay regular union dues on top of the initiation fee. PVDs are Teamsters. I have my Teamsters packet. I am a union member just like you. Just like I was a union member for 20 years in the Newspaper Guild and our Local’s Treasurer for 4 of those years.

And using your own vehicle doesn’t make you a de facto subcontractor; Our Sales Team was also union and we used our own vehicles and received the annual IRS-allowed reimbursement amount.

I don’t understand how a few on here have such a hard time grasping the PVD position... a new position, by the way, that your union bargained over and signed off on...

I sat on the bargaining committee for several of our contract rounds and I understand the process. Always a Quid pro Quo. When your leadership agreed to the PVD position they (you) got something back for it. Probably the $300 union initiation fee that goes straight into the union coffers, that will help with paying for future grievances, etc.
Initiation fees pay our grievances? Well damn that seems like a lose-lose situation for any grievances that come with a monetary penalty

Mainerider

Strictly speaking, it probably isn’t if it wasn’t part of a new contract. It would be a side letter of understanding or a modification to the current contract. Obviously, the union was involved or they wouldn’t be collecting the initiation fee and regular dues...

Mainerider

And if your union didn’t formally agree to a new job classification (PVD) that allows for some seasonal drivers to use their own vehicles and your union leadership didn’t fight it tooth and nails I would presume it was a fight they didn’t feel they could win... but if all new union members don’t pay the $300 initiation fee and only the PVDs do I would surmise the union eventually played ball on the proposal...

542thruNthru

And if your union didn’t formally agree to a new job classification (PVD) that allows for some seasonal drivers to use their own vehicles and your union leadership didn’t fight it tooth and nails I would presume it was a fight they didn’t feel they could win... but if all new union members don’t pay the $300 initiation fee and only the PVDs do I would surmise the union eventually played ball on the proposal...

Initiation fees are different across the country.

PT Car Washer

Not all Union locals collect $300 initiation fees from seasonal employees. My local only collects initiation fees when employees become permanent and more like $20.