Wanting to become part time supervisor

Okaybro

I've been working as a loader for a few months and I'm wondering what are the best steps to take to get a pt supervisor position. Any tips would help thanks

jaker

trolling
Don't tell someone to not do it when you don't know anything about them

Tell you PT sup when you get in and chat it up about it , after the sort go and talk to the center manager and tell him your intents

He will then close the door and give you some knee pads and lube to see if you are creative enough to figure out how to use them , if you pass the test then you are a sup

It's that easy so just do it

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've been working as a loader for a few months and I'm wondering what are the best steps to take to get a pt supervisor position. Any tips would help thanks
th

GenericUsername

It depends on how far along he is in his degree really. Let's say he's a loader and has been around for a year or two already. By the time he graduates, he could be a 4 year loader with full benefits. At the time of graduation from college, there could be literally no job offers for him (sorry if you're a her by the way, I'm just going with it). He could be 4 years seniority in on the waiting list to drive, along with full benefits, whereas a PT sup offers you no chance of driving, having to pay your own insurance, and pretty much a dead end, unless you get lucky and get moved somewhere that they need dispatch/etc.

If you're guaranteed a job out of college, go with the PT Sup thing as it'll look better on your resume. But if you're going to college for general classes and an Art degree, stay as a loader and have the fallback of becoming a driver.

But as someone else stated, state your intentions to your sort manager, center manager, and HR. They'll give you directions on what to do next.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

I w
It depends on how far along he is in his degree really. Let's say he's a loader and has been around for a year or two already. By the time he graduates, he could be a 4 year loader with full benefits. At the time of graduation from college, there could be literally no job offers for him (sorry if you're a her by the way, I'm just going with it). He could be 4 years seniority in on the waiting list to drive, along with full benefits, whereas a PT sup offers you no chance of driving, having to pay your own insurance, and pretty much a dead end, unless you get lucky and get moved somewhere that they need dispatch/etc.

If you're guaranteed a job out of college, go with the PT Sup thing as it'll look better on your resume. But if you're going to college for general classes and an Art degree, stay as a loader and have the fallback of becoming a driver.

But as someone else stated, state your intentions to your sort manager, center manager, and HR. They'll give you directions on what to do next.
I would never trust a Sort Manager, Center Manager or anyone in HR to give me direction on a career path. Their only best interest is their own.

jbg77

Worst job in the building. Get yelled at by ft management as well as hourlies. Miss loads are the pt supervisors fault, bad dispatch is pt supervisors fault, the bad weather is the pt supervisors fault, etc.

1Simplemann

Give me some reasons why?
You asked so I'll tell you. As jbg 77 pointed out, it's the worst job in the building. It has happened before and can happen again but generally there is a track record of little or no career advancement. Things that are beyond your control will be blamed on you by management and the drivers. In my center as well as most other the PT sup job is a dead end. I'm not sure what your going to school for but consider the option of driving for a living. A full scale driver is currently making 95-105G's with full bennies and and an excellent pension. It will take a lot of work and dedication on your part to make it that far. Most kids coming out of school aren't making that kinda cash. In my town, we make more than a lot of attorney's. If UPS is just a stopping point along the way in your journey of life then by all means go into PT supervision. Just understand this, you will take a beating from both sides. Ask the drivers you load for. I'm sure they will confirm what I and others have told you. Also the FT sups will try to make it sounds like a great job with all kinds of perks when in truth most PT'rs end up quitting or getting fired.

nystripe96

Last poster said it all. Any friends you've made as a loader will now see you as the enemy. The mental toll & daily stress of becoming a pt sup just isn't worth the extra cash you'll be making up front. Not to mention the health benefits you'd receive as a part time union employee outweigh the price bump you'd make as a pt supervisor. PT sup is easily the worst job at UPS. I started as a pt loader & have been with UPS over 5 years. In that time only one supervisor on my old belt has stuck it out since I first started. Do not do it unless you plan on leaving very soon

Last edited: