Warehouse air quality

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think we have just created a new job at ups! We should have a duster department, maybe work side by side with the porters. Did i say work?

SmithBarney

When I used to work inside trailers(5-6 per morning at a small center) I'd be blowing some nasty stuff out of my nose after work.. so yeah there is crap in the air. When I moved to preload, it got better, then I went to driving plenty of dirt roads and you could
hit my pant legs after my shift and dust would fly, I'd look like Pigpen from the Peanuts Cartoon

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cold pretrips are inspections done in the bldg without the vehicle running. We are told to limit our idling in the bldg for the reason you mentioned. When the weather allows they open all of the bay doors so this is less of an issue.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Yes, but most of them start the trucks to be sure. It isn't too bad until they are lined up waiting to get out.

Cold pretrips are inspections done in the bldg without the vehicle running. We are told to limit our idling in the bldg for the reason you mentioned. When the weather allows they open all of the bay doors so this is less of an issue.

Indy135

Hello all,
I'm considering a PT package handler job but I'd like to find out about one possible issue first. I have a severe dust allergy that causes asthma-like problems if I'm exposed to dusty air. No other problems, but dust can pretty much put me out of commission. Can anyone tell me what the air quality is like in the typical UPS warehouse?
I saw several references in other posts about being really dirty at the end of a shift, but that's not really an issue for me, as long as there isn't a lot of airborne particulate crap in the air. Anyways, sorry for the obscure question, but figured this would be the place to ask. Thanks.

i know this wont help you, but i work at UPS freight (overnight) and when the sun shines in through the dock doors, u can see millions of tiny dust particles flyin thru the air, its crazy...cant be healthy

but yea i dont know about UPS ground

Notcool

Our air is deadly! LOL There have been many times I have gotten bad headaches from fumes inside the truck from no telling what. Plus I blow black dirt out of my nose every night, I wonder what my lungs look like???:sad-little:

Its pretty bad where i work as well.. but mostly in the hubs.. where carwashers are parking and idling.. they are pretty good at 201 point parking.. taking them like 200 attempts at parking and we have forklifter zooming by with a cloud of dust behind them.... and it doesnt help with the hub being under construction........:dead:

dc_sniper9130

Tailgunner
I'm considering a PT package handler job but I'd like to find out about one possible issue first. I have a severe dust allergy that causes asthma-like problems if I'm exposed to dusty air. No other problems, but dust can pretty much put me out of commission.

My advice: don't get a job at any UPS facility (or any other carrier for that matter). My hands are pretty much black when I get home from work, and it takes Lava soap to get it off in a reasonable amount of time, and my nose is packed with black snot.