warning letter for misdelivery

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
Seriously out of the thousands of stops and thousands of packages I mis-delivered one and they give out a written warning letter? I am not the only one this has happened to in my center. We are not on PAS/EDD. This has the stink of harassment and trying to put the fear of UPS into people. They fired a guy on a weak but unrelated charge before Christmas. The management is loosing the grip on reality in my opinion. Any comments would be appreciated.:punk:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got one a Warning Letter for the same thing a few years ago. I DRed a DSL modem one house off in a new subdivision. Instead of walking 50 feet to the next door neighbor's house and giving him the box, the guy calls in a concern. I go back the same day and redeliver it, but I still got the Warning Letter, even though I was 30-40 stops over my maximum stops that day. I greived it, but never heard anything on it. That particular Center Manager everybody hated, and is one of the few I don't care too much for. He is a Division Manager in another state now.

over9five

Staff member
"Any comments would be appreciated"

Grieve it immediately. Let them know you disagree with getting a warning letter for your one misdelivery in many years!

....and remind them of it next time they beg you for a sales lead.

DorkHead

Seriously out of the thousands of stops and thousands of packages I mis-delivered one and they give out a written warning letter? I am not the only one this has happened to in my center. We are not on PAS/EDD. This has the stink of harassment and trying to put the fear of UPS into people. They fired a guy on a weak but unrelated charge before Christmas. The management is loosing the grip on reality in my opinion. Any comments would be appreciated.:punk:

I would grieve it also. I believe you should have received a verbal warning first.

paidslave

Isn't it interesting that a driver would get a warning letter for a first time event.....Not sure if I can trully believe this happened once...Most drivers have misdelivered packages..In fact I am pretty sure that every driver has......Doesn't seem fare......Could you imagine if the preload was written up for misloads!

If you are telling me the truth that you have never ever misdelivered a package than this really sounds like harrassment to me!

Fredless

APWA Hater
I would grieve it also. I believe you should have received a verbal warning first.

write a letter of protest. if you grieve it, it will get reduced to a protest letter anyway. The company doesn't have to give verbal or written talk withs first. They can go to a warning letter right off the bat if they want, even for 1 misload.

The only way I'd grieve that warning letter is under 37 for harassment. Talk to your steward and see if he (center manager) has 37's out on him already. I'd STILL rather you write a letter of protest and state in that letter its blatant harassment on you. In my area, letters like that go directly to the labor manager.

If it goes to a suspension where you actually have your job threatened at that time, then you can grieve and should within 10 days.

Then stick the warning letter on your wall to remind you of how this "friendly" manager screwed you, a good employee; the next time any of your centers management touches a box, grieve. They'll back down eventually.

Z

Z All

I once received a warning letter (not for misdeliveries but something just as rediculous).

The day after I received the registered letter, I sent a message with the first line of the warning letter followed by the address of a misload I had found. I typed a new line for each of the 10 misloads I had that day.

No one ever said anything to me about it, but I did feel better pointing out the absurd with absurdity.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
write a letter of protest. if you grieve it, it will get reduced to a protest letter anyway. The company doesn't have to give verbal or written talk withs first. They can go to a warning letter right off the bat if they want, even for 1 misload.

The only way I'd grieve that warning letter is under 37 for harassment. Talk to your steward and see if he (center manager) has 37's out on him already. I'd STILL rather you write a letter of protest and state in that letter its blatant harassment on you. In my area, letters like that go directly to the labor manager.

If it goes to a suspension where you actually have your job threatened at that time, then you can grieve and should within 10 days.

Then stick the warning letter on your wall to remind you of how this "friendly" jackass of a manager screwed you, a good employee; the next time any of your centers management touches a box, grieve. They'll back down eventually.

I have never heard of a "protest letter" can some one expand on this. I am not saying that this is the first and only time but I can only remember 1, there may have been 2 misdeliveries last year and now this one. They are insane if they are not going to leave any room for human error.:mad::wacko::punk:

Fredless

APWA Hater
Write a letter of protest to your business agent, or this is how its at my local.

I say :

Dear Business Agent Name,

I am writing this letter of protest for XYZ reason.

Then I play my little violin of reasons why the warning letter is bull etc..

Summarize it in a sentence or two.

Sincerely,

Your name

Do it within 10 days. If you live far from your hall, mail it in. Its worth the 41 cents for the stamp and 10 minutes it takes you.

This way, if it progresses to a suspension or termination, its some record that you protested the warning letter. I hope you RTS'd the write up in your pittsburgh file.

Get with your shop steward who should've been present in the meeting in which you recieved the warning letter and ask him how you guys go about it up there.

and if they aren't going to give you an inch to breathe for human error, don't give them an inch either. Remember, its DOUBLE time now for them working. Nail every part time sup you can during the preload. Come in 15 minutes early and stroll around the building and I bet you can collectively rack up at least 30 minutes a day combined JUST in preload. If an on-road shuttles 1 misload out to you, GRIEVE 8 HOURS AT DOUBLE your rate of pay and to create a new full time shuttle job.

I try and grieve 5 times a day since they aren't giving our members on the PM side one inch of breathing room.

Our Local automatically protest all warning letters. I'll get the notice of registered mail of the warning letter, the next day I get mail from the union with a copy of the protest. before anyone asks, 3 in 20 years.

hdkappler

:happy2:next time someone gets a warning letter for misdelivery.just protest it.then don't give them any sales leads.let the sales reps get off there a**. just say there won't be anymore sales leads.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Nail every part time sup you can during the preload. Come in 15 minutes early and stroll around the building and I bet you can collectively rack up at least 30 minutes a day combined JUST in preload. If an on-road shuttles 1 misload out to you, GRIEVE 8 HOURS AT DOUBLE your rate of pay and to create a new full time shuttle job.

I've heard of this stunt being pulled but it was an inside steward walking around the Hub, timing supes for working. He tangoed with the wrong part-time supe and found himself in deep doo-doo. The IBT stepped in and the termination was reduced to a week-long suspension. UPS terminated the steward for not being in his assigned work-area during his shift (basically job-abandonment, I think). After that, the steward steered well clear of that supe. She was a w*tch and told me about her fight with that steward. That fight was one of the few I sided with her on. I think she's in an office job now.

I try and grieve 5 times a day since they aren't giving our members on the PM side one inch of breathing room.

Ouch. Confrontational much, Fredless? I understand the reasoning behind your grieving but 5 times a day???? I hope your people close ranks behind you. I'd be a little surprised if you have universal support in a Right to Work State. I'll grant its possible but I'm reminded of a David vs. Goliath-type situation for some reason :sad-very:. -Rocky

wornoutupser

Write a letter of protest to your business agent, or this is how its at my local.

I say :

Dear Business Agent Name,

I am writing this letter of protest for XYZ reason.

Then I play my little violin of reasons why the warning letter is bull etc..

Summarize it in a sentence or two.

Sincerely,

Your name

Do it within 10 days. If you live far from your hall, mail it in. Its worth the 41 cents for the stamp and 10 minutes it takes you.

This way, if it progresses to a suspension or termination, its some record that you protested the warning letter. I hope you RTS'd the write up in your pittsburgh file.

Get with your shop steward who should've been present in the meeting in which you recieved the warning letter and ask him how you guys go about it up there.

and if they aren't going to give you an inch to breathe for human error, don't give them an inch either. Remember, its DOUBLE time now for them working. Nail every part time sup you can during the preload. Come in 15 minutes early and stroll around the building and I bet you can collectively rack up at least 30 minutes a day combined JUST in preload. If an on-road shuttles 1 misload out to you, GRIEVE 8 HOURS AT DOUBLE your rate of pay and to create a new full time shuttle job.

Then send a copy as a carbon copy to Atlanta to let the trickle down effect come back to that center manager. I can promise you that it is a fun way to retaliate! Be certain to add in your letter that this center manager has caused "Economic harm" to UPS by causing this event in the first place and that this is your first offense in years. I can promise you that this is a fun and productive way to retaliate!

Yes, I work in the #1 building in the US for greivances!

Coldworld

60 months and counting

This is making this company an absolute joke. There is no reason at all this crap has to happen, unless your misdelivering on a daily basis. Personally, the time this manager has invested in the warning letter, and the grievence time wrapped up in it is a waste of company time, and they should be fired..period, its rediculous. The company wants to know why year after year on the survey they get an unfavorable rating, and why most employees are the way they are. Its pretty simple, treat others as you would like to be treated, we're all on the same team.

mikeb

tnbrown
Our district has been giving warning letters out for misdeliveries for several years now. It all started when a driver in another ctr misdelivered a rifle(intended for walmart) to an elementary school. When someone from the school opened the box and took out the rifle, apparently the principal went bezerk and called UPS raising $#%. In response, UPS went bezerk(in our district) and sent out mass emails to every ctr threatening termination to any driver that misdelivers a pkg. For weeks we had PCM's about this everday until things settled down.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
Another driver told me the MAR(minimum acceptable result) is 1 per 40,000 packages. So I guess I get to make this kind of mistake once a year.:thumbdown:wacko::sneaky2:
I have filed on it. This is not something I want to do but these jokers leave you feeling like you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Last edited: