Warning letter grievance help.

Jimmy C

Sorry, I posted this in the main forum before I realized there was a union sub forum.

Got a warning letter last week for "failure to follow orders or directions," something along those lines. Basically during a performance ride my on road wasn't happy with my pace which hasn't been an issue in ten years. Anyway he told me to speed it up throughout the day and I didn't.

Everyone agrees that I should file as it is bogus but don't know the first thing about writing grievances. My stewards trustworthy are both off this week and I've got til Wednesday to files.

Any suggestions?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sorry, I posted this in the main forum before I realized there was a union sub forum.

Got a warning letter last week for "failure to follow orders or directions," something along those lines. Basically during a performance ride my on road wasn't happy with my pace which hasn't been an issue in ten years. Anyway he told me to speed it up throughout the day and I didn't.

Everyone agrees that I should file as it is bogus but don't know the first thing about writing grievances. My stewards trustworthy are both off this week and I've got til Wednesday to files.

Any suggestions?
What part of the country are you located in, what supplements are governed by?

mreed171

Always grieve any warning letter even if you are at fault. Concerning your w letter just put in there that you were working as safe as possible. You can not be ding for your pace and another drivers pace.

andrsnbkj

Any suggestions?
Do they have a scientific method of a particular set pace for any individual. If that's all he had to say about your pace you did a great job I know I would file article 37 against him and the center manager and to say they can't do :censored2: anyway about it so friend them all

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Any suggestions?
File a grievance for harassment and tell him if he keeps it up hes going to get sued for it, Problem solved i bet ya anything on it lol.

Nimnim

The Nim
Sounds like a standard article 37 of the NMA grievance. Fair days work and all, you felt going faster would make you unsafe and so you kept at a pace you could maintain safely.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

"I am doing the best I can, in the safest manner possible".

Leave it at that. There is no need to elaborate.

If they try and engage you further.... just repeat it.

Any suggestions?

Someone in your center, must have your stewards phone number. Ask around.

If not, call your Local.

-Bug-

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
By admitting here that you didn't speed up, doesn't that suggest that you could have, but chose not to? If you had stated "that you were going as quickly as possible", or "you didn't feel safe" like these sea lawyers recommend you say, it would be a different story.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
By admitting here that you didn't speed up, doesn't that suggest that you could have, but chose not to? If you had stated "that you were going as quickly as possible", or "you didn't feel safe" like these sea lawyers recommend you say, it would be a different story.

2me262s.jpg

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Congrats on your new promotion!

raceanoncr

By all means, FILE! Even if your stewards are gone. Call the local, they can do it.

And for those that think a warning letter cannot be grieved or rescinded, (no, I ain't seen those comments yet in this post), I've done it. Got letter years ago. Grieved it. Had he taken away.

Do it. YESTERDAY.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Any suggestions?
Do you really want to get some attention? File a grievance stating that you received a warning letter for being told to work unsafely, and you refused.

People who "speed up" beyond what they are comfortable with, tend to get into auto accidents and get injured.

While you need to have a decent pace throughout the day, going faster than what you are comfortable with could be dangerous. Especially if it is the same pace you have had for the past 10 years and UPS never had a problem with it before.

I had a sup kicking my heels telling me to walk faster. I started walking faster, stepped right into a hole in the pavement, sprained my ankle and was out for 6 weeks.

I also filed a workplace violence and harassment grievance. Sup was transferred the day I filed the grievance and has not been back since.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yep.

That's "old school" :biggrin:

If any management person does that now....

It is assault.

And, can be dealt with.... through your Local Law Enforcement Agency.

-Bug-
I'm "old school." This was a long time ago, but the principle is the same. Speed up and unwanted things may occur.

browned_out

I have a question, can I file over telematics virtual OJS. My center manager has five of us in the office everyday going over time violations, like selection time, customer contact time, move w/o delay, last 20 stops. They claim we are not doing the job right and our methods are to blame.

I have been in the office for over a week and the numbers aren't getting any better, I feel that my work ethic and methods are fine, never had a problem in over 20 years until now. I feel that they are harrassing me and the other drivers.

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
ALWAYS file at minimum a protest letter for any adverse item in your file. Regardless of severity. Then tell your supervisor to friend-off. In more kind words of course.

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
Browns-out, you simply don't have to put up with all that bull sh%#!! That is classic UPS harassment/over management. All five of you need to grow a pair and file a harassment grievance. A fair days work for a fair days pay is contractual for a reason. For gods sake, you pay dues, you have a union card, stand up for yourselves. Read your contract and force your management to abide by it!! If you can't stand up for yourselves through your legally binding contract, go work for FedEx, they'll be glad to treat you like crap and there is nothing you can do about it.