Washington Wage

drpibb81

Since Washington minimum wage is $15/hr, does UPS start at that wage or is it lower/higher because of the collective bargaining agreement?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The Washington state minimum wage is $9.32. The $15 you're referring to is a city wage floor specific to Seattle and
A) It hasn't gone into effect
B ) The city is being sued to nullify it
C) If it doesn't get overturned in court UPS would have 4 years to phase it in. There is no $15 minimum wage right now anywhere in the country.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
UPS pays FT people $32/hr to clean the toilets and empty the waste paper baskets and to not wash package cars. Why not $15/hr for a higher quality PT work force.
We have spanish speaking people who do our cleaning here and they aren't full time employees. I don't know if they even work directly for the company.

AndUPSER

We have spanish speaking people who do our cleaning here and they aren't full time employees. I don't know if they even work directly for the company.

That's pretty sad. Our full time porters, who have been here at least 25 years, work from 6-2:30 and make $32 an hour.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In my building every hourly employee is under the Teamster contract. And I live in a right to work state.
I think they hire an outside service for the cleaning though because like I said they don't speak much English. We may also have union porters that perform some function but the bathrooms and the sweeping out in the outbound is done by those non-English speaking people.

I think they hire an outside service for the cleaning though because like I said they don't speak much English. We may also have union porters that perform some function but the bathrooms and the sweeping out in the outbound is done by those non-English speaking people.
Soon the delivery work will also be done by these same non-English speakers.

UPS will probably move the center outside Seattle if it can't be circumvented. No way would they pay $15 plus bennies.
Where could they move to? Any location outside seattle would add a ton of travel time to just the heart of the city. (between Spokane st and Denny). Getting to west seattle would suck. And catching the vashon ferry would suck even more.