WCT pension payment

retiredCSI

Question for recent or any retirees from WCT/Western Conference pension.I retired from 542 San Diego as a cartage driver.My question is,how long after you sent in your election packet/forms did you receive your pension check?

Shiftless

Cartage Driver????? Not a term used here on the West Coast I have seen anyone use?

Who did you drive for?

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Cartage Driver????? Not a term used here on the West Coast I have seen anyone use?

Who did you drive for?

You probably just haven't heard it before. They don't work out of the same buildings as us but do work under the same NMA and have their own Supplmental.

542thruNthru

Question for recent or any retirees from WCT/Western Conference pension.I retired from 542 San Diego as a cartage driver. My question is,how long after you sent in your election packet/forms did you receive your pension check?

Have you contracted your BA yet? I believe Dwayne G is Cartage's BA.

The people that I know that have retired have been told to put in their paper work at least 3 months out. A Driver I know officially retired last April and recieved a check in March but could not cash it till after his official retirement date.

I would contact our local if you haven't already. Congratulations on retirement.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I retired last April, WCT NorCal. I was told that it takes 3 months from turning in paperwork to see the first check. I was also told, if you're already qualified for retirement, you could file your paperwork today, leave today, and they'll pay you from today, but you wouldn't see a check for 3 months. I opted to turn in my paperwork 3 months prior to when I wanted to leave instead, not so much for the paycheck, but to keep the medical benefits seamless. That paperwork proved to be more involved than the retirement paperwork.

Shiftless

As stated above "I opted to turn in my paperwork 3 months prior to when I wanted to leave instead, not so much for the paycheck, but to keep the medical benefits seamless."

EXACTLY!

retiredCSI

Well,i got my check:clap:.Anyone interested in my case,it took 4 months from initial filing of my paperwork to get my check.All is good now.

Shiftless

Congrats on your exit! Hope your retirement experience is a wonderful one!

One word of advice> STAY BUSY!

My exit was a little different. I was only 49 coming up on 50. To get health insurance you had to be 50 at the time (3 plus months out for me) when you retire to keep the health insurance. So I rode out on a BOAT load of saved sick days, vacations from years gone by. It was about the last 5 or 6 years I was saving 2 weeks a year on the books of just vacation and I virtually was never sick. Good genes? NOPE! LUCKY? I don't know, but I banked all them sick days once you could bank and not get paid out on them! It was all of my master plan to get the friend out!

I purposely left on 05-05-05 figuring when I get Old Timers I will have an easier time remembering what real work was while drinking my Takillya! So here in weeks I will have been retired 14 years! Never worked since I left and plan never to work again!

Elvis

Forty and out
I was set to retire 6/30/18, but circumstances kept pushing that back. Was again set to go 2/28/19, but left on 1/25/19 after a worker's comp mediation where UPS paid me $30,000 to go away. February 1st became my first pension day, but because we had moved it up a month I didn't get that check until 2/26. March 1st I got the next one, so things are good.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I was set to retire 6/30/18, but circumstances kept pushing that back. Was again set to go 2/28/19, but left on 1/25/19 after a worker's comp mediation where UPS paid me $30,000 to go away. February 1st became my first pension day, but because we had moved it up a month I didn't get that check until 2/26. March 1st I got the next one, so things are good.
So- you left the building? Enjoy your freedom...

Shiftless

See, after all these years you get the benefit promised cuz you hung in there!

So now, how many times didya want to QUIT during those year's?

Elvis

Forty and out
I was 2 years in the hub, 8 years packages and 30 years feeder. In packages quitting was a constant thought, stayed for the money, and sometimes to be a pain to the supervisors that were turning the screws. Feeder was like a vacation after packages, could work 10-11 hours and not feel worn down. I got to watch all those package car management eat their own. Most got fired, changing time cards, drugs, boinking co-workers. Some flamed out. A few retired, but very few. If I could of hung in there a few years longer I could have double dipped (65 pension+pay), but it was time. I think I did it right.

Shiftless

I was 2 years in the hub, 8 years packages and 30 years feeder. In packages quitting was a constant thought, stayed for the money, and sometimes to be a pain to the supervisors that were turning the screws. Feeder was like a vacation after packages, could work 10-11 hours and not feel worn down. I got to watch all those package car management eat their own. Most got fired, changing time cards, drugs, boinking co-workers. Some flamed out. A few retired, but very few. If I could of hung in there a few years longer I could have double dipped (65 pension+pay), but it was time. I think I did it right.

You have only been retired a short time. So far its like a high seniority drivers long ole vacation! BUT! You are possibly going to find like many " I shoulda left earlier" barring any unusual circumstances! I was in feeder 26 plus years plus 18 months a a mule driver. I couldn't see myself in package any moment longer than possible.

So Congrats on getting out alive! A guy I knew who we started out as Part timers at the same time, both in feeders, almost the same age, weeks from retiring of each other, Died on the cat walk between the cab and trailer!

You have earned a retirement! Don't blow it! Get busy! Give back! Just enjoy the conveyor ride till its spits you off like the generations before us have!

Shiftless

What The ? Right after I wrote this, I went on my hour plus walk I do every morning. I get back and have a message my friend since we became buddies in 1958 at the age of three and attended schools together, who just bought a new car here a couple weeks ago saying man there so many screens and do dads this is gonna be my last car! Passed away! Another one saying Ya, probably gonna work another year or so!

friend THAT! People! RETIRE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!