We must launch a coordinated Strike or else we're all screwed...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no contractual ratio of the number of FT drivers to TCD (casual) drivers but generally it is around 10%. The proper use of casuals (running extra routes) should help to reduce excessive OT but will not eliminate OT altogether. Casuals are not guaranteed to work every day nor are they entitled to the daily guarantee. Casuals are supposed to call each morning, if not told they would be working the previous day, to see if they are needed NLT 1 hour before start time. A smart casual will learn the routes of the older drivers as they are most likely to want a day off here and there. When I was a casual not scheduled to work I would come in ready to work and approach the older drivers to see if any of them wanted to go home----9 times out of 10 it worked. This is no longer allowed so what our casuals do now is text those drivers who like to take days off to see if any of them want the day. Our PDS doesn't care who works just as long as he has proper staffing. Casuals, if used properly, are an asset.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
There is no contractual ratio of the number of FT drivers to TCD (casual) drivers but generally it is around 10%. The proper use of casuals (running extra routes) should help to reduce excessive OT but will not eliminate OT altogether. Casuals are not guaranteed to work every day nor are they entitled to the daily guarantee. Casuals are supposed to call each morning, if not told they would be working the previous day, to see if they are needed NLT 1 hour before start time. A smart casual will learn the routes of the older drivers as they are most likely to want a day off here and there. When I was a casual not scheduled to work I would come in ready to work and approach the older drivers to see if any of them wanted to go home----9 times out of 10 it worked. This is no longer allowed so what our casuals do now is text those drivers who like to take days off to see if any of them want the day. Our PDS doesn't care who works just as long as he has proper staffing. Casuals, if used properly, are an asset.

Our building no longer has casuals. It is all thru the pt ranks. I started as a casual also. Learned all the areas. I only Jan toApril off my first yr. After that worked every available second. Now it's. As it should be pt,cover pt then ft. Welcome back btw

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our building no longer has casuals. It is all thru the pt ranks. I started as a casual also. Learned all the areas. I only Jan toApril off my first yr. After that worked every available second. Now it's. As it should be pt,cover pt then ft. Welcome back btw

Also are you covered under upstate supplement?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heff, I know how you feel about the PT's that constantly whine on this sight. I myself have no issues with the contract in relation to how it affects me, but I have an issue with the so called "Significant Bump in the starting pay for PT's." Do you honestly feel a net 50 cent increase in the starting wage is a "Significant Bump" or for that matter even acceptable? For that reason alone I would ask you to please reconsider how you vote.

The bottom line is that they shook hands on the new contract.
Even if it went back to the bargaining table, you add a $1 more to starting pay, it's coming out of something.
PENSION ? HEALTHCARE ? RAISES ?
The union agreed with UPS on how much more UPS will give to its employees for the next 5 years.

I was PT for 6 years so I know that the contract favors the employees that made it to the summit, and not the ones climbing that mountain.
UPS needs to stay competitive with FedEx and make a profit. Bottom Line !
UPS will not be around for long if its paying PT $15 an/hour to start. Kiss that dream goodbye.
They need a cheaper PT labor force to compete and now they need cheaper drivers to take FedEx out.

I'm not taking a copy of the contract and framing it in my trophy room, but reality states that this is the NEW price of union employment.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hey Heff. How do you feel about the Article 22.3 jobs? the jobs made from two PT jobs and sometimes pay less than one PTer?

I never asked how much those jobs were being paid during bid.
I don't have all the answers.
I can only answer as a FT driver with 12 1/2 years exp and 18+ years in the company

brown_trousers

Hey Heff. How do you feel about the Article 22.3 jobs? the jobs made from two PT jobs and sometimes pay less than one PTer?

When does a 22.3 job pay less than part-time?..... NEVER. Even if you made a higher wage as a part-timer, when you bid into a 22.3 combo your PT wages would be red circled until the FT wage caught up. How could someone recieve a paycut going FT vs PT?

UPS Preloader

The bottom line is that they shook hands on the new contract.
Even if it went back to the bargaining table, you add a $1 more to starting pay, it's coming out of something.
PENSION ? HEALTHCARE ? RAISES ?
The union agreed with UPS on how much more UPS will give to its employees for the next 5 years.

I was PT for 6 years so I know that the contract favors the employees that made it to the summit, and not the ones climbing that mountain.
UPS needs to stay competitive with FedEx and make a profit. Bottom Line !
UPS will not be around for long if its paying PT $15 an/hour to start. Kiss that dream goodbye.
They need a cheaper PT labor force to compete and now they need cheaper drivers to take FedEx out.

I'm not taking a copy of the contract and framing it in my trophy room, but reality states that this is the NEW price of union employment.

I agree, $15 an hour to start is too much. What bothers me is that they bumped the starting pay $1.50 and then 90 days later they take $1.00 of it back. If it went back to the bargaining table to add a $1 more to starting pay I think both UPS and the Union know we wouldn't accept any additional concessions.

brown_trousers

I agree, $15 an hour to start is too much. What bothers me is that they bumped the starting pay $1.50 and then 90 days later they take $1.00 of it back. If it went back to the bargaining table to add a $1 more to starting pay I think both UPS and the Union know we wouldn't accept any additional concessions.

The part that bothered me about the starting pay is that we are giving brand new hires a decent raise, while neglecting raises for our current part-timers. Higher seniority workers should recieve raises equal to the low seniority workers.

UPS Preloader

The part that bothered me about the starting pay is that we are giving brand new hires a decent raise, while neglecting raises for our current part-timers. Higher seniority workers should recieve raises equal to the low seniority workers.

I agree, but as a 6 year part timer, I don't like it, but I'm willing to forgo that for the benefit of the new hires.

solo827

Re: We must launch a coordinated Strike or else were all screwed...

What meetings? (I've been there for 5 yrs an there has been only 1 union meeting and only a hand full of pt's went because it wasn't announced in time for people to make arrangements). What Local? We never have meetings, and we also have no idea about whats happening with the contract! Pretty sad in my opinion! We're basically told what to vote when the time comes. :surprised:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

What meetings? (I've been there for 5 yrs an there has been only 1 union meeting and only a hand full of pt's went because it wasn't announced in time for people to make arrangements). What Local? We never have meetings, and we also have no idea about whats happening with the contract! Pretty sad in my opinion! We're basically told what to vote when the time comes. :surprised:

That sucks, but I think it is the way things are going.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​Good boy!

Delivered

That's a true shame. Try to educate yourself and your co-workers a lot of the info is can be found on the BrownCafe

Attachments

• pt.pdf
    86.3 KB · Views: 112