We Ran Out Of Vehicles Today

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We were told that there weren't enough vehicles to implement the desired plan today.
Does this sound like a company who requires concessions in the next contract?

BrownArmy

Simply, no.

On a tangentially-related note, I covered a route the other day, and could not find the bulkhead/back door key.

Nowhere to be found...(in another cover driver's pants? ejected from the truck on a previous day? no clue).

I wrote it up in the DVIR..."no bulkhead door key"...I put it under 'Non-Safety'. (eff it , it was Friday, and I rolled into the building at 2013...).

I was just lucky that the FOB worked all day (no access from the outside to the rear doors of this particular 700, but that's logistics).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We were told that there weren't enough vehicles to implement the desired plan today.
Does this sound like a company who requires concessions in the next contract?

We had to be very close. All we had was a few p57 that the air drivers took out. We were told today they are hiring two drivers. They need to hire a few more or there are going to be a ton of seasonals. I don't know what it is but volume has really shot up at my center the last 2 months or so.

We had to be very close. All we had was a few p57 that the air drivers took out. We were told today they are hiring two drivers. They need to hire a few more or there are going to be a ton of seasonals. I don't know what it is but volume has really shot up at my center the last 2 months or so.
Same here the volume is through the roof.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Simply, no.

On a tangentially-related note, I covered a route the other day, and could not find the bulkhead/back door key.

Nowhere to be found...(in another cover driver's pants? ejected from the truck on a previous day? no clue).

I wrote it up in the DVIR..."no bulkhead door key"...I put it under 'Non-Safety'. (eff it , it was Friday, and I rolled into the building at 2013...).

I was just lucky that the FOB worked all day (no access from the outside to the rear doors of this particular 700, but that's logistics).

There is a way to fix that. You know those brown UPS pens. They wedge nicely into the inner workings for the locking mechanism for the back doors. Solves the back door issue temporarily.

tourists24

We have currently stopped using air drivers for lack of package cars and the company wont pay for personal car use. So we have late air as a consequence instead...... logistics

barnyard

KTM rider
We have currently stopped using air drivers for lack of package cars and the company wont pay for personal car use. So we have late air as a consequence instead...... logistics

Actually, it has nothing to do with paying mileage. Using personal vehicles that have not been DOT inspected, has no reporting marks or insured as a commercial is against the law.

laffter

I haven't noticed a volume increase at my center in general, but Friday was especially heavy. As far as I know, they ran out of cars. I used to have an "overflow" car in my area. It has been gone for the past 1-2 weeks.

They are also hiring two new drivers. I saw them standing around after preload, wearing brand new uniforms. You can always tell who the new guys are.

tourists24

Actually, it has nothing to do with paying mileage. Using personal vehicles that have not been DOT inspected, has no reporting marks or insured as a commercial is against the law.
hmmm,,, ok wasnt aware of that..... our center had been doing it for many years though..... thx for the info

barnyard

KTM rider
We ran out of cars Friday also. PCM we were told that it was our heaviest day since the Friday before Mother's Day. I punched out at 19:30 and about a 1/3 of our drivers were still on the clock.

UPSGUY72

We had extra trucks, just not enough drivers.

They had that problem in my building on Friday also. I called in my 6 Year daughter was sick my SUP was basically crying saying they really needed me all the SUP (6) in the building of 120 + routes where are ready working and they had no one to do the route I was on the last 2 days with 200 stops. I said sorry can't send her to school and can't find anyone else to watch her he was pissed...

In the old days when they didn't have enough driver they would get rid of a route and split the work up between 3 or 4 other cars. Now that they have this stupid stops per car BS they can't do that because each car is already blown out in the morning.

Maybe they need to hire more drivers. I can't wait till peak this year....