We Ran Out Of Vehicles Today

kingOFchester

I have no official business training, nor do I play a high up CEO on TV. But, from what I have seen in our building and what I have read here, it seems as though UPS has pushed spending cuts to the breaking point. Not hiring enough drivers, not having enough trucks, not having enough parts shelved waiting for the need and hiring a heart beat for little over minimum wage to put packages in the wrong truck is going to bite a chunk out of the ass of UPS. Or, at the least, a bite out of my and every other drivers ass.

brownIEman

They had that problem in my building on Friday also. I called in my 6 Year daughter was sick my SUP was basically crying saying they really needed me all the SUP (6) in the building of 120 + routes where are ready working and they had no one to do the route I was on the last 2 days with 200 stops. I said sorry can't send her to school and can't find anyone else to watch her he was pissed...

In the old days when they didn't have enough driver they would get rid of a route and split the work up between 3 or 4 other cars. Now that they have this stupid stops per car BS they can't do that because each car is already blown out in the morning.

Maybe they need to hire more drivers. I can't wait till peak this year....

which is not to say that we don't try...

packageguy

We had to be very close. All we had was a few p57 that the air drivers took out. We were told today they are hiring two drivers. They need to hire a few more or there are going to be a ton of seasonals. I don't know what it is but volume has really shot up at my center the last 2 months or so.

I want to say I think we got back some work from post office, we had a spike last two months and mostly is qvc amazon, macys,

Floridacargocat

Guess what would happen, if
- Full-time Sups shuttle misloads and they get involved in an accident (not their fault) in their private car
- Part-time Sups shuttle LIB's/ML'S in their private cars and they got involved in an accident (not their fault).
Both parties have hit the proverbial jackpot as now they are in a position to obtain a sweet deal from UPS due to various non-compliances with a myriad of US regulations. Will they do it? Should they do it? If they involve a lawyer, the bad part is that these lawyers extract at least 1/3 of the possible awards. It is very regrettable that UPS Management opens itself up to such opportunities instead of doing the right thing. Get the proper input numbers, plan properly, execute properly and anticipate the unexpected. But how can they reconcile this with the numbers imposed on them by the almighty gurus from IE? Not having the right numbers of cars? Look into the backyard, where all the "red=flagged" inoperative vehicles are sitting. Is it a case of "excessive" wear and tear not in line with "planned" maintenance costs. Is it a case of wearing down our drivers? Look around and see who is limping, wearing braces of all kinds, coming to work in order to make (more) money because of economic conditions and being subjected to calls from a higher level within the center, or is it simply a deliberate decision to work in this manner?

What is/was the creed of UPS once again?
I am convinced that this company does have the brainpower to work smarter than our competitor, but as long as we are not changing the envelope/framework of our work (infrastructure, resource allocation, advance resource allocation with realistic numbers) we will try to overcome the challenges with muscle power, not with brain. And that will lead to inevitable results.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Guess what would happen, if
- Full-time Sups shuttle misloads and they get involved in an accident (not their fault) in their private car
- Part-time Sups shuttle LIB's/ML'S in their private cars and they got involved in an accident (not their fault).
Both parties have hit the proverbial jackpot as now they are in a position to obtain a sweet deal from UPS due to various non-compliances with a myriad of US regulations. Will they do it? Should they do it? If they involve a lawyer, the bad part is that these lawyers extract at least 1/3 of the possible awards. It is very regrettable that UPS Management opens itself up to such opportunities instead of doing the right thing. Get the proper input numbers, plan properly, execute properly and anticipate the unexpected. But how can they reconcile this with the numbers imposed on them by the almighty gurus from IE? Not having the right numbers of cars? Look into the backyard, where all the "red=flagged" inoperative vehicles are sitting. Is it a case of "excessive" wear and tear not in line with "planned" maintenance costs. Is it a case of wearing down our drivers? Look around and see who is limping, wearing braces of all kinds, coming to work in order to make (more) money because of economic conditions and being subjected to calls from a higher level within the center, or is it simply a deliberate decision to work in this manner?

What is/was the creed of UPS once again?
I am convinced that this company does have the brainpower to work smarter than our competitor, but as long as we are not changing the envelope/framework of our work (infrastructure, resource allocation, advance resource allocation with realistic numbers) we will try to overcome the challenges with muscle power, not with brain. And that will lead to inevitable results.

Spoken like a true leader, a thing of the past.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I see why UPS isn't hiring new full time drivers because of the up coming contract, but you would think that they would be spending money like a drunken sailor. To lower profits, but what do i know.

over9five

Staff member
I see why UPS isn't hiring new full time drivers because of the up coming contract, but you would think that they would be spending money like a drunken sailor. To lower profits, but what do i know.
Mr Hoffa already has a signed deal. Strike averted!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We were told that there weren't enough vehicles to implement the desired plan today.
Does this sound like a company who requires concessions in the next contract?[/QUOTE]

well, yes. We need some concessions so we can afford some new vehicles, clearly.

2 Fridays ago the regional automotive guy was in our center. He told me something surprising. And it has to do with older trucks....particularly the 57 series P5s. You know the ones if anyone has driven them. It takes a dozen of them to make 7 run. The ones with the Cummins diesel engines that refuse to start if you shut them off after the initial ignition.

Anyway....we have one that we have been fighting all summer. He said that it is scheduled to go back to Minnesota to have the cab and box cut off the frame and a new frame and GAS engine will be adapted to it. He said they are doing that to all the 57s with the Cummins.

Perhaps no new trucks just reconditioned ones are in the future for UPS.

8up

Actually, it has nothing to do with paying mileage. Using personal vehicles that have not been DOT inspected, has no reporting marks or insured as a commercial is against the law.

what are the specifics on hauling interstate commerce packages around in personal vehicles, which sections of what law are being violated? if someone knows i'd like to. there was some talk about it in our facility, but no one talking really seemed to know what they were talking about. it was mostly something someone had heard over the years, but no solid info available.

barnyard

KTM rider
what are the specifics on hauling interstate commerce packages around in personal vehicles, which sections of what law are being violated? if someone knows i'd like to. there was some talk about it in our facility, but no one talking really seemed to know what they were talking about. it was mostly something someone had heard over the years, but no solid info available.

also, if you read your auto insurance policy, you will find that you are not insured if using the vehicle for work. The amount of liability an employee opens themselves up to by using their own vehicle to deliver packages is huge. Next time you are at an insurance agent's office, ask them a hypothetical question about it and see what he/she has to say about it.

Mine said, do not do it.