wearing "unofficial" ups gear?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do any of you have "unofficial" uniform gear that you wear as part of your daily threads. For example, people wearing brown baseball caps that have no logo, but are size specific, like the kind pro players wear. Or wearing brown hoodies under your jacket with the hood handing out the top. Some of the drivers purchase brown "beanies" and take the small logo that has fallen off a ups sock and iron it on the front of the hat...sure beats that "clown" stocking hat drivers are given, you know, the one you have to roll up 5 times.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have drivers wearing UPS Camo and Nascar caps, very unprofessional looking. Some wear the non-uniform stocking cap with the UPS logo on them. Management does not enforce uniform standards, in fact, one of the On-cars wears these too. The uniform is brown, its as simple as that.

LeddySS98

i have the baseball hat (flex fit) with a solid back, but it has the UPS logo on it... Really sharp looking hats, they look a lot better than the company ones. There are about 8 of us that wear them, but i have heard talk that they are going to make us stop wearing them cause they are'nt official i guess... they look better they fit better, and like i said they just look better... go figure

brownrodster

I wear unofficial gear.

If they ever bug me about it I'll tell them to * themselves as I only have 2 uniforms.

I wish I smelled bad. Cuz if anyone ever complained I'd say I wear the same thing every day and wash once a week. GET ME MORE DAMN UNIFORMS.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
there are a couple of female drivers that wear brown beanies and they look as cute as hell in them, but if they had to wear those damn 1970 thick as$ stocking caps, well they would be just like the guys. Someone mentioned everything going in cold weather. Ive seen drivers wearing scarfs, mittens( how do you run the diad in those things?), snow boots, and my favorite....one of those full face masks that you would while skiing, or robbing a bank.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I wear an unofficial Eddie Bauer fleece windcutter jacket all the time instead of the normal jacket. Far more comfortable and warmer than the standard. I wear unofficial Oakleys alot too.

dirty moose

until they provide everything you need, people will always wear un official stuff.

IE Rain pants!!!!!!!
About the full face mask thing, if you got some wind burn and called in sick the next day cause you were in pain what would they say?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wear unofficial gear.

If they ever bug me about it I'll tell them to friend themselves as I only have 2 uniforms.

I wish I smelled bad. Cuz if anyone ever complained I'd say I wear the same thing every day and wash once a week. GET ME MORE DAMN UNIFORMS.

dont you get 5 sets of browns??? If you drive everyday two sets arent enough and you need to get more, especially in the summertime cause you will be stinking after wearing the same stuff for 3 days straight. They cant expect you to be the ups heartthrob when your sporting the BO.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
until they provide everything you need, people will always wear un official stuff.

IE Rain pants!!!!!!!
About the full face mask thing, if you got some wind burn and called in sick the next day cause you were in pain what would they say?

As far as im concerned as long as your not delivering to a bank whats the big deal, just make sure your wearing an official ups 2 foot stocking cap and your all set!

bad company

semi-pro
We have drivers wearing UPS Camo and Nascar caps, very unprofessional looking. Some wear the non-uniform stocking cap with the UPS logo on them. Management does not enforce uniform standards, in fact, one of the On-cars wears these too. The uniform is brown, its as simple as that.

I agree that this looks unprofessional. At the same time, I am guilty of wearing non-uniform clothing and accessories. If they will only give me two pairs of pants, one long sleeve shirt, and no hats, I say screw them.

I have to stay warm!! With that being said who really gives a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: about uniform standards?? Kind of funny that in the summer heat the management is all over about staying hydrated drinking water .. Yada freaking Yada about the heat ?? But come winter time?? HMMMMMMMM??? scrape your windows from the inside with ice scrapers and freeze your nuts off even before leaving the building!! See ..the thing is that in the heat you get sick and they put it back on you for not drinking enough water.. but come winter they do not care!! No PCM about keeping warm, come on??? The heaters in these old package cars are a joke?? You management people reading this that pretend to to be hourly people :laughing:?? Give me a break! What hourly really cares about the "standard" ?? You see if you get sick in the summer it is your fault for not drinking enough water etc... in the winter ??You get sick and call in ?? Management does not believe you!! Come on , only PCM you get is safety driving not about what to do to keep warm from possible frost bite in below 0 degree wind chill or temps?? Why is that? Only worry I see from management in winter is space and distance, never mention staying hydrated &dressing the way one should, cause it is common sense just like summer!! So I will wear what keeps me warm in the extreme elements and if you think it is not company standard?? You are either a company person or a Jerk!!

Last edited:

brownrodster

dont you get 5 sets of browns???

Took me 6 months to get 1 set. when I started I had other peoples used gear that did not fit me.

I was never provided with a uniform when I started. I've begged for what little I have.

I wear the same thing every day and wash them on the weekend.

MrUPSguY

Red Headed Step Child
My center manager told us, if it has a UPS logo, it's game. I look hella good in my UPS thong! Kind of cold in the winter though.

currahee

We were told in my center if it wasnt issued you cant wear it unless its under your shirt. I have a brown hoodie with a ups logo(from ups tag on it says ups) told couldnt wear it. I wear it anyway under coat and just tuck hood in when in building.

upsdude

We were told in my center if it wasnt issued you cant wear it unless its under your shirt. I have a brown hoodie with a ups logo(from ups tag on it says ups) told couldnt wear it. I wear it anyway under coat and just tuck hood in when in building.

Same here. We are allowed to wear brown hoodies under the uniform, I just refuse to buy a brown hoodie, would never wear it outside of work. Another thing they are anal about in these parts are brown or white t-shirts, no black. I had a chance to ask a district manager about wearing black t-shirts. We were standing next to a package car so I pointed out the black wheels, my black shoes, socks, belt and the black trim on the Diad. He gave me a thousand mile stare and said “well, some folks said we would never allow shorts”. Huh? I told him to ask his wife, which would look better, medium brown, dark brown, light brown, dirty white, or BLACK.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Seems like when it gets cold enough not much is said about what we wear under our uniforms. As long as it is not in poor taste or has other companies logos on them. But I'm sure it depends on your management team.

wornoutupser

I agree that this looks unprofessional. At the same time, I am guilty of wearing non-uniform clothing and accessories. If they will only give me two pairs of pants, one long sleeve shirt, and no hats, I say screw them.

I am in Florida.

It does not get cold here like it does up north ( and I dont know how you guys manage that!)

On the few times a year that it gets cold-really bad for those of us that are not used to it-I have always worn a hoodie under my jacket with no problem. It is gray and I have had it for many years.

It would not be an issue at all this way except that we are not offered any cold weather items. We are allowed the jacket this way and a few of us have the "lumberjack" UPS hat but we are no longer allowed to order those. We were not even allowed to have the UPS vest as package drivers until a few years ago. My vest still has the name on it from a feeder driver that left it in my building. I had one for years before the othe drivers!