Weather Lines/Recorders

whenIgetthere

When my wife is on call for her job, she gets paid $10.95 per hour for every hour she is on call. If called into work, she starts to get paid her regular hourly rate when she arrives. That is what an on call employees gets Fred, not the shaft like you give us!

DontThrowPackages

Just a friendly reminder that these aren't legal in most states. If you show-up at your regularly scheduled start time, FedEx needs to pay you. Clean your truck, organize supplies, or simply work as directed. The weather isn't your problem, but Fred wants you to make-up the financial difference for the bad weather.

Don't fall for it. Come-in, and make them find something for you to do, even if that's just sitting in your vehicle.
Our checkout guy said he wasn't giving out any time cards because start time had been changed. We all should have but a few people grabbed a blank piece of paper and clocked in anyway. Checkout guy was mad at those who did, as if it was coming out of his check.

CJinx

Because he's going to get yelled at by his manager for "allowing" it, as if they had the authority to put a stop to it.

FedExRookie

Calling in a weather line is the same thing as being an on-call hourly waiting for the displaced start times and not getting that pay. This abuse that gone way too long.

As "UpstateNYUPSer" stated, I don't believe you read the website, or you simply are not able to comprehend the simple language stated on the webpage.

DOL and the courts have traditionally used one variation or another of the test of whether an employee is "waiting to be engaged" (non-compensable time) or is "engaged to be waiting" (compensable time) (Skidmore v. Swift, 323 U.S. 134 (1944)).

Let me extract and bold the part that shows waiting is non-compensable time.

"...'waiting to be engaged' (non-compensable time)..."

I don't even work at FedEx anymore, but I'm stuck at work on a Sunday and decided to surf these old boards.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As "UpstateNYUPSer" stated, I don't believe you read the website, or you simply are not able to comprehend the simple language stated on the webpage.

DOL and the courts have traditionally used one variation or another of the test of whether an employee is "waiting to be engaged" (non-compensable time) or is "engaged to be waiting" (compensable time) (Skidmore v. Swift, 323 U.S. 134 (1944)).

Let me extract and bold the part that shows waiting is non-compensable time.

"...'waiting to be engaged' (non-compensable time)..."

I don't even work at FedEx anymore, but I'm stuck at work on a Sunday and decided to surf these old boards.

The waiting time in Skidmore Vs. Swift is not analogous to the FedEx situation. In Skidmore, the packing house employees were staying overnight in company provided quarters in order to respond to fire alarms that infrequently were sounded. In other words, they were already on-premises, and not waiting at home to call into a weather line.

I would argue that the FedEx situation is "engaged to be waiting". which is why weather lines are generally illegal.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
You guys must not have Nazi gatekeepers like we do. They will NOT hand out a timecard before the time their schedule shows unless a manager comes in and initials the early start time.

We don't have a gate keeper and once we're all on this new electronic punch-in thingy, that will probably go away.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Yeah,
Nobody can stop you from waving your id at the machine.
Oh, wait, unless they put it behind these mall cop gate keepers?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We don't have a gate keeper and once we're all on this new electronic punch-in thingy, that will probably go away.

Speaking of which, how long have y'all had them in your building? We've had them for maybe 4-6 months. I wonder what the delay is in putting them into use....

Purplepackage

Speaking of which, how long have y'all had them in your building? We've had them for maybe 4-6 months. I wonder what the delay is in putting them into use....

We've had them for about the same amount of time, they actually turned it on about 2 weeks ago and it looks like it's working but we haven't heard anything about when we will start using it.

Of course my station just started using our ids to get in the building 3 weeks ago, I don't know how long other stations have been doing that

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We've had them for about the same amount of time, they actually turned it on about 2 weeks ago and it looks like it's working but we haven't heard anything about when we will start using it.

Of course my station just started using our ids to get in the building 3 weeks ago, I don't know how long other stations have been doing that

They activated our ID's last summer I believe.

5yearsleft

Until 70 people have to start at the same time. Then we all have to stand in line to use it. We will start using the new system in April, so we are down to one timeclock for punch-in. On Saturday, they had us all start at the same time instead of staggered starts. Some people punched in 3 minutes later just because they had to wait in line. It will be longer than that with the new time clock.

Express Courier

Until 70 people have to start at the same time. Then we all have to stand in line to use it. We will start using the new system in April, so we are down to one timeclock for punch-in. On Saturday, they had us all start at the same time instead of staggered starts. Some people punched in 3 minutes later just because they had to wait in line. It will be longer than that with the new time clock.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. I might just start coming in more towards the back end of the punch-in window so I don't have to deal with the line. Although I'll probably end up late trying that move.

BigTex61

Seriously there's no way they can complicate swiping your id to punch in.....
Seriously? This company has effed up everything it does. They have taken a simple business of delivering and picking up stuff to a ridiculous level. These people could screw up a bowling ball with a feather.

Purplepackage

We don't have nearly that big of a problem with lining up, of course only 30 people total clock in and we are staggered decently. But then again if my punch time is 6:50 like tomorrow I'll be at the station by 6:30 so I'm in line well in advance

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We've had the new time clock for about 4 months. Just sitting there with a note on it saying "Don't touch this" or, something. Supposedly, we start touching it on the 30th. They want us to practice using it now.

I've never seen a sta. where you needed to gain access to the parking lot or, building with your badge.

Of course, this "system" will go down eventually like all FedEx's "systems".

We grab our DIADs and punch in through the boards.

We will still use our power pads as our time cards.