Welcome to Stupid Saturday

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What's the union care? They'll say we can't tell them how to run their company.

Follow up with the ethics hotline if you want to get something done.
I didn't say anyone from the union cared (except for me, or whoever was doing the act)...but at least I CAN say that I did reach out and have witnesses at the time, that I did whatever act under protest and did not feel it was the right thing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To me, the correct answer is to WAD "under protest" and immediately follow up with the local union.
To me, the correct answer is to follow correct procedure and record as "missed."

If it is in fact a legitimate emergency, then of course there would be no issue with management simply editing my timecard and changing the exception code to EC...right?

If it is a bogus "emergency" and they still want to give me a warning letter for not working as directed...fine. I will file an Art 37 grievance, and we can sort the whole thing out at a hearing where they will be forced to explain why I was instructed to be dishonest.

Of course, we know there will be no such hearing in the first place.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Contract says you either work 5 8's or 4 10's. Saturday's are voluntary. They can say they are forcing you all they want. All you have to do is tell them you won't be there. Take the write up Monday and protest it if it is given.
Please point out in the Master contract were it says Saturdays are optional.
You won't find it, it is not there.
You say take the write up and protest it.
So if they can write you up, it is not voluntary, is it?

They can force you, but you can call in, which is true for any workday.

Steward773

Here it's in our supplement, states an employee's workweek will be 5 consecutive days...which would make Saturday optional.

35years

Gravy route
Here it's in our supplement, states an employee's workweek will be 5 consecutive days...which would make Saturday optional.
Not necessarily optional. Just not part of your normal work week. The contract also designates contractual holidays (which by definition are not working days and often not part of the 5 consecutive days). But the contract also has wording that allows UPS to force drivers to work (not voluntary)on holidays;

To be clear, below is the wording addressing forcing on holidays, but it shows work outside the 5 days is not always voluntary:

Article 40;
"the Employer shall have the right to force part-time air drivers and then full-time air drivers to work starting in reverse order of seniority. If after exhausting the above steps scheduling needs are still not met, the Employer shall offer the work in seniority order within the package driver classification. If more drivers are still needed the reverse seniority order concept will be used for package drivers."

So since holiday work often falls outside the 5 consecutive days, yet can still be forced, your argument that all work outside the 5 consecutive days is voluntary is incorrect.

Honestly, they have been forcing for years on various Saturdays and holidays. If they are forcing, they have to play by the rules, but they can force a 6th punch in all but few locals that specifically address forcing a 6th punch. To say 6th punch is always voluntary misleads drivers into actions that will likely lead to discipline.

Last edited:

Steward773

Not necessarily optional. Just not part of your normal work week. The contract also designates contractual holidays (which by definition are not working days and often not part of the 5 consecutive days). But the contract also has wording that allows UPS to force drivers to work (not voluntary)on holidays;

To be clear, below is the wording addressing forcing on holidays, but it shows work outside the 5 days is not always voluntary:

Article 40;
"the Employer shall have the right to force part-time air drivers and then full-time air drivers to work starting in reverse order of seniority. If after exhausting the above steps scheduling needs are still not met, the Employer shall offer the work in seniority order within the package driver classification. If more drivers are still needed the reverse seniority order concept will be used for package drivers."

So since holiday work often falls outside the 5 consecutive days, yet can still be forced, your argument that all work outside the 5 consecutive days is voluntary is incorrect.

Honestly, they have been forcing for years on various Saturdays and holidays. If they are forcing, they have to play by the rules, but they can force a 6th punch in all but few locals that specifically address forcing a 6th punch. To say 6th punch is always voluntary misleads drivers into actions that will likely lead to discipline.

Yes, drivers can be forced on a holiday such as Black Friday....not on a Saturday. Our supplemental language superceeds national language which states and employee's work week will be 5 consecutive days making Saturday's optional. 2/3 of our work force (preload/package) has not been showing on Saturday's for the past month and no one has been disciplined.... do you know why? Because they can't!

BrownTexas

You also won't find in the master where it says Saturday's can be forced work days. Art 40 you just stated is for air drivers, so that doesn't pertain to me. Hence the reason you file the protest and the warning letter gets thrown out. They can discipline you for anything. It's our duty to protest so it doesn't stay that way.

35years

Gravy route
Yes, drivers can be forced on a holiday such as Black Friday....not on a Saturday. Our supplemental language superceeds national language which states and employee's work week will be 5 consecutive days making Saturday's optional. 2/3 of our work force (preload/package) has not been showing on Saturday's for the past month and no one has been disciplined.... do you know why? Because they can't!
Thanks for the clarification.
Unfortunately many of us don't work under supplements with that language spelled out.
Does your supplement cover a lot of UPS employees?

35years

Gravy route
You also won't find in the master where it says Saturday's can be forced work days. Art 40 you just stated is for air drivers, so that doesn't pertain to me. Hence the reason you file the protest and the warning letter gets thrown out. They can discipline you for anything. It's our duty to protest so it doesn't stay that way.
The article 40 language I pointed out specifically mentions how package drivers can be forced to work a holiday after air drivers.

ups1990

Question,
How many of you that volunteered to work their route Saturday, were allowed to go home after finishing early or were told to help others yesterday?

35years

Gravy route
For those in the Central Region article 12 section 9:

If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th) consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the appropriate premium regardless of the established work week.

Steward773

For those in the Central Region article 12 section 9:

If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th) consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the appropriate premium regardless of the established work week.

Our supplement covers 7 locals. Ouch, yea that language is pretty specific about working weekends.

35years

Gravy route
Question,
How many of you that volunteered to work their route Saturday, were allowed to go home after finishing early or were told to help others yesterday?
I didn't work Saturday. That made my route tighter for Monday. Then they made a driver that did work Saturday take work off me on Monday night.

I prefer to run out of hours M-friend and skip Saturday.