Welfare

moreluck

golden ticket member
193187.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Indiana to Start Requiring Food Stamp Recipients to Work
Indiana will eliminate exemptions that require food stamp recipients look for work, a rules change that could see up to 65,000 food stamp recipients trimmed from the roles.
Indiana's new mandate maintains that, "any able-bodied Indiana adult without children will need to be working at least 20 hours a week, be in job training, or searching for employment in order to qualify."

The rules change will allow recipients to work up to 20 hours a week and still be eligible for the assistance.

BrownArmy

Why is it that the person in front of me in the food checkout line always seems to pull their ebt card out from a wallet full of cash ?

Maybe they've just cashed their first check from the new job they got through state-sponsored employment-search assistance, or whatever, offered to those getting benefits.

This person had a rough patch, had to go on the dole, and went to all the employment workshops.

Success! The state helped them land a job! When you saw this person, they had just cashed their first paycheck, at a pay-day lending place, since they don't have a bank account (they used to, but after being unemployed for so long, they lost their old account, and with no income and no cash, no bank would give them a shot). The cut at the pay-day loan place was a little steep, but maybe they didn't mind, since it was nice to have cash in hand again.

The job seemed like it could turn into a permanent gig (finally!), and the state was going to cut off the EBT card at the end of the month: of course they're going to run the card out.

That's one possible story, but there are others; maybe they're undocumented...the card comes from the state, the cash comes under-the-table from cleaning other peoples' homes or watching other peoples' children...

Or maybe they're STRAIGHT DRUG-DEALING GANGSTERS!

Lulz.

But yah, why you looking in other peoples' wallets?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I only pay cash for my food , it shocks the sales clerks .
Many of them have trouble giving me the amount of change their machines tell them to .