What are some other good union jobs?

YourCO

Just about any union job as a new hire is going kick the crap out of you. If you cannot physically do your current job because of chronic pain or an ongoing illness, it's possible you could get an ADA accommodation for light duty in the hub. Is feeders an option for you?
I feel that, but even the more senior guys suffer. I mind the labor far less than the hours. I've been thinking about feeders, but wasn't sure if that was actually any better.

HFolb23

I got burnt out doing package for a while and started job searching, quickly found out that when you factor in health insurance, I had to make a make a lot higher starting wage just to break even in my take home, and most of the insurance other companies offered was crap too. Working for the state DOT was the only job I actually wound up applying too because I could stay at UPS part time to keep my benefits, but the idea of working two jobs to still make any less money didn’t make any sense.

Changing delivery routes made me feel a lot better about package, and now I’m in feeder and it feels like a completely different company.

Whither

Scofflaw
I feel that, but even the more senior guys suffer. I mind the labor far less than the hours. I've been thinking about feeders, but wasn't sure if that was actually any better.
RPCD still in progression here: a good friend of mine with over 10 years seniority went feeder near the start of 2021. He's no OT-chaser but averaged 52 hrs a week last year, I was right around 47. He tells me his hours are pretty standard in our neck of the woods (we have ~600 drivers across 3 buildings on a single feeder seniority list, per local rider).

I'm happy for brothers and sisters who go feeder and like it better than package car, but personally I'm not interested in longer hours and I enjoy the occasional conflicts with mgmt.

clean hairy

Replacing burned out light bulbs on antennae towers.
Especialy the towers on top of 100 story skyscrapers.
Seems it would have to pay good!
Would not be fun to find the replacement bulb is defective!

meritocracy

I've heard working as a stationary engineer is a sweet gig if you can find an IUOE local near you with an apprenticeship for it. I think there's one in Michigan but you have to live out here to do it.

Elevator mechanic pays stupidly well and they have a really good union. It's hard to get into though. Gotta learn skills for a similar trade first and then wait for an IUEC apprenticeship to open up near you which can take years.

Finally I would recommend asking your local for a list of places you guys have contracts. Ask for the contracts too.

Last edited:

Karma...

I would go to my B.A and ask her/him to place me in a different job/company....Thats a right you have being a teamster.....Ive seen it done before....Good luck !

YourCO

RPCD still in progression here: a good friend of mine with over 10 years seniority went feeder near the start of 2021. He's no OT-chaser but averaged 52 hrs a week last year, I was right around 47. He tells me his hours are pretty standard in our neck of the woods (we have ~600 drivers across 3 buildings on a single feeder seniority list, per local rider).

I'm happy for brothers and sisters who go feeder and like it better than package car, but personally I'm not interested in longer hours and I enjoy the occasional conflicts with mgmt.
See, that's the thing for me. Ideally I'd want both, but if I have to choose between lighter work or shorter hours, I'm choosing shorter hours.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It my mind it seems impossible that I'll make it to retirement doing this job, at least with my health and family fully intact. On the other hand, I know how bad it is out there without a union to have your back.

What're some other good union jobs that you know of, regardless of whether they're within or without UPS and the Teamsters?
Mattress tester. You clock in around 10:30 pm, go to the bedroom simulator and sleep on different mattresses nightly. You then report on the mattress before punching out.

rod

Retired 22 years
Been thinking electrician. Have a buddy who did it and left bc he wasn't making money though. Great rate, just not enough hours. RTW state problems.
Nephew went to linemans school for about 2 months. Now he makes well over 100 K a year in Arizona / California.