What are the chances my husband will have his termination overturned?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Anything he did was off clock. I understand what you and everyone else is saying. I get it. But my question is not what they should do, but rather what they can do. Can they deviate from the handbook and give someone their job back, no matter what the termination was for.
They can do anything they want believe me on this one

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Sounds like the driver needs an attorney and AA.
The driver I'm aware of had both.
As soon as he got the retirement check, no AA and drinks all the time. Whatever it took.
Now, no family, kids don't want to be in the same room with him, wife is remarried, etc.

Box Ox

And that’s that. As far as the company is concerned, they gave you a chance. If not for the union he wouldn’t even have got that. Now it’s a business decision. He could be the nicest, best worker in the company, doesn’t matter. Liability.

That's all it's gonna be about. If this guy gets in an accident with somebody down the road their lawyer (or their family's lawyer if they're no longer alive) is gonna ask why he was still employed as a driver and out on the streets after a DUI and subsequent dirty test after rehab. What anyone personally thinks about them as a person or coworker means absolutely zero in that equation.

He has his first meeting coming up in a week and steward said nothing will happen there, it will be moved up to the next level meeting.

Chances are that the tie-breaking arbitrator at that next level meeting (panel) is going to understand the liability risk to the Company and vote with the Company's representatives to uphold the termination.

I hate to even be typing that to you but it probably should be said so you can prepare for what's probably coming next.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The driver I'm aware of had both.
As soon as he got the retirement check, no AA and drinks all the time. Whatever it took.
Now, no family, kids don't want to be in the same room with him, wife is remarried, etc.
As long as he doesn't drive.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Anything he did was off clock. I understand what you and everyone else is saying. I get it. But my question is not what they should do, but rather what they can do. Can they deviate from the handbook and give someone their job back, no matter what the termination was for.
Tbh, you're not gonna be getting any compassion from the company, likely.

You need them to have screwed up in the testing process, or to have skipped a step, or to have somehow broken some other rule on the path to firing him.

I've seen multiple drivers who were terminated get their jobs back because the company didn't follow the contract to a T, but I don't think I've ever seen one where the company decided to take pity on someone and give them extra chances.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Tbh, you're not gonna be getting any compassion from the company, likely.

You need them to have screwed up in the testing process, or to have skipped a step, or to have somehow broken some other rule on the path to firing him.

I've seen multiple drivers who were terminated get their jobs back because the company didn't follow the contract to a T, but I don't think I've ever seen one where the company decided to take pity on someone and give them extra chances.
Pity, natural feelings, understanding are foreign.
If they followed the book or if they didn't, they will go for the jugular every time. I don't care what they appear or lead you to think they think about you.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I like my beer myself. But I've learned to limit it during the weekdays and party a little bit more on the weekends.
89F96640-C5FA-4877-89F2-53EBD2287F28.gif

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Yeah I get it. His steward said that 90% of the drivers at his hub would be fired if they tested them tomorrow lol.
^^^ this says a lot about this crazy RPCD job and the pressure that’s placed on us by management. A lot of alcoholics at my building too along with a high divorce rate. It’s sad. Feeders is not immune to this either

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
^^^ this says a lot about this crazy RPCD job and the pressure that’s placed on us by management. A lot of alcoholics at my building too along with a high divorce rate. It’s sad. Feeders is not immune to this either
I drank like a fish…..good thing they never took a urine. It probably would’ve been 40 proof. Many many drunks, but not on the job, after work was another thing.
The last 10 or so years I didn’t really touch it much.

oldngray

nowhere special
I drank like a fish…..good thing they never took a urine. It probably would’ve been 40 proof. Many many drunks, but not on the job, after work was another thing.
The last 10 or so years I didn’t really touch it much.
No more bar hopping after you start driving. Your job is more important.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Several of us feeder drivers were walking to our vehicles after punching out. Another feeder driver was on his way into work. It was obvious he was snockered. All of us stopped him and tried to convince him to turn around, go home and call in sick. He refused. Dispatcher had him tested for cause. He threw away a 20+ year career.

UnionStrong

Several of us feeder drivers were walking to our vehicles after punching out. Another feeder driver was on his way into work. It was obvious he was snockered. All of us stopped him and tried to convince him to turn around, go home and call in sick. He refused. Dispatcher had him tested for cause. He threw away a 20+ year career.
That’s sad. But you tried.

UnionStrong

I saw a 16 year driver get fired for holding back COD money over the weekend so he could gamble with it. Many addictions out there, and we ain’t exactly choir boys.