What are the chances my husband will have his termination overturned?

I've read all of your replies. Thank you to those of you that took the time out of your day to answer my questions with seriousness. I feel like I am living in a real life nightmare. I'm beyond pissed at my husband. I can't even look at a UPS truck without my stomach instantly turning, and after the panel the same will probably go for my husband as well. I'm so embarrassed and disgusted by this whole thing I just want to hide from everyone. Such a damn waste. Although we probably already know the answer, I'll be sure to come back here and let you all know what happened. Thank you again.
Best of luck to the both of you.

Even though he screwed up I'm sure he really needs you right now

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I've read all of your replies. Thank you to those of you that took the time out of your day to answer my questions with seriousness. I feel like I am living in a real life nightmare. I'm beyond pissed at my husband. I can't even look at a UPS truck without my stomach instantly turning, and after the panel the same will probably go for my husband as well. I'm so embarrassed and disgusted by this whole thing I just want to hide from everyone. Such a damn waste. Although we probably already know the answer, I'll be sure to come back here and let you all know what happened. Thank you again.
I hope it goes well for him.

Thebrownblob

Sorry you’re going through this. If it’s any help the gentleman who went through SAP twice and lost his job is now working a job with slightly less money has been clean and sober for four years and is much happier.

UnionStrong

Sorry you’re going through this. If it’s any help the gentleman who went through SAP twice and lost his job is now working a job with slightly less money has been clean and sober for four years and is much happier.
The job can make a bad situation worse. Stress, wear and tear, long hours, idiots in management. He might be better off somewhere else.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Kmcget01

Why isn’t your husband on here asking the questions? This is his mess. Enabling him has helped get him where he is today.
I'm not enabling anything, I have a degree in psychology so yes, I know what enabling behavior is. I don't even know if he knows about this forum. I've came here many times over the years to read stuff. I posted here because I am desperately searching for some kind of peace of mind. While this is his mess up, it affects my life just the same, if not more as I'm the one who deals with our finances. In fact, he doesn't even know I posted anything in here. That is why I am here and not him.

Fuzzy Brown

My husband is a FT package car driver. In August 2020 he got an off the clock DUI. He immediately reported it to his supervisors within 24 hours. He was referred to the ASAP program and returned to driving within 3 weeks as his license was only restricted, not suspended. He has finished his government probation but has still been random testing for the past 18 months for UPS. He dropped a dirty for the first time end of March 2022. Termination letter came this past Wednesday as we knew it would. Grievance was filed yesterday. There is no loophole to stand on as far as the Master Handbook goes. It will strictly be fought on the basis of he made a mistake.

My husband has been with the company for 11 years, 8 of those as a FT driver. He has never filed a grievance before and has only been written up twice in those 11 years for little things that have to do with delivering. Scanning something wrong or something like that. I spoke with his steward yesterday and he said that there is not one person, union employee or supervisor, that wants to see him gone. Everyone loves him. He works hard and is good at his job. However, Article 35 is pretty clear. You can drop a dirty one time if you random test for DOT, but not if you're in the aftercare program. And his rehabilitation services through UPS happened right in the thick of Covid. He never even got to go in and see a counselor, it was all over the phone.

So my question is, will they make an exception because it's been 18 months of testing and has had no issues until now? Because he's a good employee? Because he's human and made a mistake? Something like 85% of people relapse in the first year of getting sober. He made it 18 months. Its was a mistake and he knows it. We are scared to death. He has his first meeting coming up in a week and steward said nothing will happen there, it will be moved up to the next level meeting. Could they give him one more chance based on his history or do they 100% have to follow protocol in the book, even if they don't want to fire him, and there is absolutely zero chance he'll go back to UPS in any capacity?
And before I get lectured, I know he messed up. I know it's his fault, and so does he.

If he tested positive for alcohol he’s toast, it doesn’t matter when he was tested there are no loopholes.
His business agent may get him another chance depending on his relationship with the labor manager but that’s about it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm not enabling anything, I have a degree in psychology so yes, I know what enabling behavior is. I don't even know if he knows about this forum. I've came here many times over the years to read stuff. I posted here because I am desperately searching for some kind of peace of mind. While this is his mess up, it affects my life just the same, if not more as I'm the one who deals with our finances. In fact, he doesn't even know I posted anything in here. That is why I am here and not him.
You’re not enabling?? He’s still consuming alcohol after rehab, knowingly putting his career and your family at risk. Now that’s he’s gotten caught again....you’re desperately searching for some loophole where the rules shouldn’t apply to him, instead of accepting what mostly likely will be his fate. Good luck to you both....I hope you both get the help you need.

Kmcget01

You’re not enabling?? He’s still consuming alcohol after rehab, knowingly putting his career and your family at risk. Now that’s he’s gotten caught again....you’re desperately searching for some loophole where the rules shouldn’t apply to him, instead of accepting what mostly likely will be his fate. Good luck to you both....I hope you both get the help you need.
You obviously need to go research what enabling is. I did not purchase or give any substance to my husband. I did not drive him to the store and I did not and would not condone the choice that he made. I didnt even know! This is my life too ya know. I don't wear those Browns but a UPS wife is very much a part of the UPS family. Thanks for your valuable input.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You obviously need to go research what enabling is. I did not purchase or give any substance to my husband. I did not drive him to the store and I did not and would not condone the choice that he made. I didnt even know! This is my life too ya know. I don't wear those Browns but a UPS wife is very much a part of the UPS family. Thanks for your valuable input.
Save the lecture for your husband. Part of enabling involves trying to protect the addict from the consequences of his actions (i.e losing his job). Isn’t that what you are looking for on here? Admitting that you both have a problem is the first step.

Kmcget01

Save the lecture for your husband. Part of enabling involves trying to protect the addict from the consequences of his actions (i.e losing his job). Isn’t that what you are looking for on here? Admitting that you both have a problem is the first step.
I'm trying to protect mine and my children's lives at this very moment. We have kids, a mortgage, car payments and horses to take care of. Losing $100k a year is not a small thing. I'm in fight mode right now for ME. The fact that you can't understand why I would be scared to death right now and looking for even the smallest glimmer of hope, says a lot more about you than it does me.

GameCockFan

I'm trying to protect mine and my children's lives at this very moment. We have kids, a mortgage, car payments and horses to take care of. Losing $100k a year is not a small thing. I'm in fight mode right now for ME. The fact that you can't understand why I would be scared to death right now and looking for even the smallest glimmer of hope, says a lot more about you than it does me.
It's possible that he can get his job back, but pretty unlikely. We had a feeder driver with a random test that came back as adulterated. He came back and retired less than a year later. How local management feels about you means as much as anything. (maybe not is this case). If the local management doesn't want you back you don't have a chance. If they do you have a slight chance. This is more applicable to non dui/drug offences.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Again, these are words that your husband needs to hear....he did this. Then start pushing him to fill out job applications and get him into AA meetings. I’m well aware of what my $100k a year job means to me....it means I can’t partake in indulging in certain substances because I’m subject to random drug tests. It means when I do drink alcohol...I don’t get behind the wheel of a car. I worked way too hard for too many years to get this job to piss it all away.

Kmcget01

It's possible that he can get his job back, but pretty unlikely. We had a feeder driver with a random test that came back as adulterated. He came back and retired less than a year later. How local management feels about you means as much as anything. (maybe not is this case). If the local management doesn't want you back you don't have a chance. If they do you have a slight chance. This is more applicable to non dui/drug offences.
Thank you. Local management wants him to stay. They are even writing letters of recommendation for him which will be given to the higher ups at panel. So I guess there is my glimmer of hope. Thank you again.

One day at a time

You are enabling right here and now. Alcohol or any other drug of choice is all powerful for those who are susceptible to their effects. You both know he shouldn’t drink but he cant stop some cannot. Some loose everything including their lives. Good luck it’s a long lonely road.

UnionStrong

You are enabling right here and now. Alcohol or any other drug of choice is all powerful for those who are susceptible to their effects. You both know he shouldn’t drink but he cant stop some cannot. Some loose everything including their lives. Good luck it’s a long lonely road.
Yeah, it’s no guarantee he’ll stay sober. And he’s the one that has to want to get sober.