What are your thoughts on H.R. 1?

LarryBird

So nobody has any thoughts or concerns?

I would've thought the TrumpTards would be all over this one, straight losing their minds, about the possibility that all their dirty dealings from the past 3 decades would be undone and the people will actually take back their voice, use public money in national campaigns to reduce fund raising and PACs, and weaken corporate involvement in politics.

That's just the start of the GOP nightmare. There's more. Have a look.

There was also a discussion on the radio show, On Point, about it today or yesterday. You can listen to it on podcast, if you're so inclined. Twas very informative.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You posted it at 630 and are surprised no one had read it and formulated an opinion by 8? I barely started skimming it, but the intent that I gathered from that, it seems to me to be a good idea. But republicans are not the only ones who would find this problematic. Regardless of the party, I'd like to see if changes like these could result in better candidates. They need to throw in shorter term limits as well.

My guess on the true intent behind the bill is the democrats are trying to do some good pr for themselves for putting forth such a bill, knowing full well it will fail. They don't want it to pass, and when it fails they'll be able to blame the republicans for blocking campaign reform. The best thing the republicans could do is call their bluff and pass it. Then see if Trump vetoes it or not.

LarryBird

It’s vanity legislation. It has no chance of passing into law. It’s like the house republicans voting hundreds of times to repeal the ACA under Obama. It is really meaningless.
Yeah, I said in the 1st post that it had no chance of passing at this time.

But that doesn't mean that it won't pass in a slightly amended form a bit down the road.

There's a lot to like about this bill, if you're a democrat.

LarryBird

You can listen to a 45 min discussion about this proposed legislation, with Rep. John Sarbanes as a guest here:
On Point - it's like the 3rd episode down on the list.

It's original air date was March 6th, 2019. I think you might find it interesting, if you agree with @It will be fine that this is somehow vanity legislation, as opposed to something that average citizens have been clamoring for, for years. Especially since the 2016 election that once again placed the overall loser in the office of the Presidency.

The ideas behind this legislation come from the constituencies. The legislation is really just the vessel. To me, this legislation isn't radical in any way, and basically just represents a return to the way things were and should still be, in many instances - something conservatives like to claim they're all about, except when it involves undoing all their previous rigging of the system(s).

newfie

I'm sure there're a few, future residents of the state or federal government prison system, that are passing through this republican congress, as we speak.

Just playing the odds.

Geez you got it bad.

im-just-gonna-stop-you-right-there-i-dont-speak-7324198.png

newfie

I'm sure there're a few, future residents of the state or federal government prison system, that are passing through this republican congress, as we speak.

Just playing the odds.

by the way don't limit yourself to republicans, if you want to bash chihuahua's I'm also not one of those.

LarryBird

by the way don't limit yourself to republicans, if you want to bash chihuahua's I'm also not one of those.
Normally I wouldn't, but Republicans have been the ones under the gun, on the investigation tip these days, and it's not exactly like they've been boy scouts in the past either...

There have been 24 republican congressmen or senators indicted and/or convicted of a crime while in office since 1970, by my count(which may be low). In that same time period, there have been 186 republican state legislators or governors convicted of a crime, as well. That's not very upstanding, or supportive of conservative values, by my measurement.

So there's a precedent of republican criminal activity in the recent past that cannot be argued. I'm not gonna list the numbers of Democrats, as it goes against my point, and if you wanna discredit this post, I'm not gonna do the work for you.

I do have to mention though, it's in the executive branch where the republican criminality really shines through, and they separate themselves from the Democrats - Republicans have fully asserted their criminal dominance at the executive level, and from what I've gathered, it's not even close. These criminal acts carried out in the executive branch are not compiled in this post, although I'll probably take a count and post them, for the Sunday thrills alone.

newfie

Normally I wouldn't, but Republicans have been the ones under the gun, on the investigation tip these days, and it's not exactly like they've been boy scouts in the past either...

There have been 24 republican congressmen or senators indicted and/or convicted of a crime while in office since 1970, by my count(which may be low). In that same time period, there have been 186 republican state legislators or governors convicted of a crime, as well. That's not very upstanding, or supportive of conservative values, by my measurement.

So there's a precedent of republican criminal activity in the recent past that cannot be argued. I'm not gonna list the numbers of Democrats, as it goes against my point, and if you wanna discredit this post, I'm not gonna do the work for you.

I do have to mention though, it's in the executive branch where the republican criminality really shines through, and they separate themselves from the Democrats - Republicans have fully asserted their criminal dominance at the executive level, and from what I've gathered, it's not even close. These criminal acts carried out in the executive branch are not compiled in this post, although I'll probably take a count and post them, for the Sunday thrills alone.

how many democrats in that time period. source?