What do the colors on UPS packages mean?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Oh, I get it. However, it does seem that around here Next Day Airs usually go on the "Red" belt, and 2nd Day Airs usually go on the "Blue" belt. Is this a common practice?
We don't use color coding in my center yet, but, historically speaking, yes, red is next day, blue is 2nd day, and orange is 3 day select. They used to have shippers put color coded tape on packages indicating service level (now discontinued), and old hand written labels (which can still be used) are color coded as written above. Ground may have brown, but I can't remember for sure off hand. I like the color coding because I've had problems with bulk shippers mixing next day in their ground. As careful as I try to be, I'd still miss one from time to time, which is bad news...

lolbr

I like the color coding because I've had problems with bulk shippers mixing next day in their ground. As careful as I try to be, I'd still miss one from time to time, which is bad news...
Yep. Nothing like sorting through 200 nearly identical blue bags at old navy to find the 3 that aren't ground/smartpost.

rod

Retired 22 years
The colors are printed on a SPA label that help the primary sort aisle know where to sort it. So instead of having to remember zip codes, they sort it to say the "orange" belt, that may represent a metro, boxline, or PD.
Does UPS realize the 1 out of 5 males and 1 out of 20 females are color blind?

brownIEman

Oh, I get it. However, it does seem that around here Next Day Airs usually go on the "Red" belt, and 2nd Day Airs usually go on the "Blue" belt. Is this a common practice?

Are you on a preload or a hub sort?

Preload generally would not segregate air that way but a day, twilight, midnight or sunrise hub sort might.
Not all hubs use a SPA system but some do.
On the preload you get a PAL - Preload Assist Label. For a hub you get a HAL. Same system functionally, just remember to never ask the HAL to open the pod bay doors. You won't like the result.
Hal9000.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was wondering, is there any particular meaning of the colors on UPS packages? I know there is the shipping label and an additional label with a color name printed on it. I don't seem to notice any consistency, however, it seems that Next Day Airs usually have Red as the color and 2nd Day Airs usually have Blue as the color. Ground and SurePost seems to vary. Could it have something to do with transit time? I have also seen Brown, Orange, Purple, and Pink.
Don't forget crayon black right through the barcode so you can't scan it.

trickpony1

Is assigning different colors to our products considered "racist"?

Do some colors get promoted more than others?
Do some colors get detained more than others?
Are some colors more popular than others?
Are some colors more expensive than others?
Are some colors more flashier and presentable than others?

This is a serious social issue.

The Driver

I drive.
Is assigning different colors to our products considered "racist"?

Do some colors get promoted more than others?
Do some colors get detained more than others?
Are some colors more popular than others?
Are some colors more expensive than others?
Are some colors more flashier and presentable than others?

This is a serious social issue.

giphy (4).gif

the cooler

I was wondering, is there any particular meaning of the colors on UPS packages? I know there is the shipping label and an additional label with a color name printed on it. I don't seem to notice any consistency, however, it seems that Next Day Airs usually have Red as the color and 2nd Day Airs usually have Blue as the color. Ground and SurePost seems to vary. Could it have something to do with transit time? I have also seen Brown, Orange, Purple, and Pink.
Red signifies republican. Blue goes to Democrat.