What do you do for fun on the job?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I had a huge box of scratch off lottery tickets split completely open, I'm talking 50lbs worth, on my second day at UPS, spilling all over the truck. I made sure my sup observed before I touched & re-packaged.

I'd still do the same thing if any package of value is open.

To steal a 99 cent can of silly string, do the cardinal sin at UPS (Theft) for same, is just unbelievable. Literally.

H

hseofpayne

I had a huge box of scratch off lottery tickets split completely open, I'm talking 50lbs worth, on my second day at UPS, spilling all over the truck. I made sure my sup observed before I touched & re-packaged.

I'd still do the same thing if any package of value is open.

To steal a 99 cent can of silly string, do the cardinal sin at UPS (Theft) for same, is just unbelievable. Literally.

Does your halo get stuck when you go in low hanging doors?! To waste so much time on here complaining about some silly, silly string is just unbelievable. Literally.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Does your halo get stuck when you go in low hanging doors?! To waste so much time on here complaining about some silly, silly string is just unbelievable. Literally.

Its someone elses property..not just "silly string" we as employess of ups have a responsibility to give the best possible service we can to our customers

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I take pictures of wildlife with my camera phone and email them to my wife. She is stuck in a cubicle so I am her "eyes to the world." Usually it is deer that I send pix of, but I have also gotten good pictures of rabbits, skunks, possums, coyotes and hawks. I saw a black bear once but I couldnt get a clear pic before it disappeared. I also send pics of neat dogs or interesting farm animals, like the time I made a delivery and was mobbed by a herd of over 30 pygmy goats that surrounded the pkg car and jumped into the cab. She really enjoys my view of the outdoors.

H

hseofpayne

Its someone elses property..not just "silly string" we as employess of ups have a responsibility to give the best possible service we can to our customers

OK angel guy, I will be at your front door in 5 minutes with the FBI, CIA, OSI, DEA, UPS, and any other 3 letter names I can think of with a warrant to search your house for ANY property of UPSs', from crayons, to pens, extra hats, DIAD pens, anything that you shouldn't have. I doubt their is a single UPS employee who hasn't taken something home (not on purpose) that would get them fired. If y'all think a guy AND his boss should be fired over a can of silly string then I hope you never make a mistake. :sad-very::sad-very::sad-very: This was supposed to be a thread about fun, not a flamers convention. Sometimes thats all a thread should be, fun!

Leftinbuilding

OK angel guy, I will be at your front door in 5 minutes with the FBI, CIA, OSI, DEA, UPS, and any other 3 letter names I can think of with a warrant to search your house for ANY property of UPSs', from crayons, to pens, extra hats, DIAD pens, anything that you shouldn't have. I doubt their is a single UPS employee who hasn't taken something home (not on purpose) that would get them fired. If y'all think a guy AND his boss should be fired over a can of silly string then I hope you never make a mistake. :sad-very::sad-very::sad-very: This was supposed to be a thread about fun, not a flamers convention. Sometimes thats all a thread should be, fun!

So, where do you draw the line? If it is something you deem cheap it's ok to play with it, destroy it, etc? I do make mistakes, but destroying someone elses property is not one of them. Call me a prude.

(I'll beat you to it. Left, you are a prude. :happy2:)

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz

I take 3 things home from UPS....My ID Timecard and my paycheck on thursday

You've gone from funny to annoying within the last week or so.

H

hseofpayne

So, where do you draw the line? If it is something you deem cheap it's ok to play with it, destroy it, etc? I do make mistakes, but destroying someone elses property is not one of them. Call me a prude.

(I'll beat you to it. Left, you are a prude. :happy2:)

If I were King of UPS, I would have taken the preloaders into the office and explained the importance of taking care of our customers packages and explained that if the com pany was run by the people on this thread, they would be looking for a job. However, being the compasionate conservative I am, I would have let them off with a verbal warning. The real shame here is that this was supposed to be a thread about fun and y'all have certainley beat the fun slam out of it, good job!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Kwed

The first paragraph started our great! I thought, man, someone that loves life just like me.

But then you go off the reservation too far. A couple of things.

As has been mentioned, an open package is not your play area. It belongs at first to the customer, and if it ends up as a damage, one that UPS pays for, it belongs to UPS. At no time does it belong to you.

Now, had you brought the silly string from home........

Case in point, a box of whitman chocolates, one of the little 4 packs. Out of a larger case. The box got on the return belt, and opened, sending all 4 pieces of chocolate onto the belt. It made its way back to the primary area where one of the sorters saw the one peice of candy, and placed it into his mouth. So for around 25 cents worth of chocolate, the sorter, who was the next on the list to go into driving, lost his job for stealing. There was not a thing we could do either to get his job back.

with a warrant to search your house for ANY property of UPSs', from crayons, to pens, extra hats, DIAD pens, anything that you shouldn't have. I doubt their is a single UPS employee who hasn't taken something home (not on purpose) that would get them fired.

House house house, it is so plain that you really dont have a clue. None of the things mentioned would get me fired, they are part of the tools we use every day in our job. And as such, the driver brings them home with him, along with dozens of other items like delivery notices etc. As far as hats, once they have been worn, they are usually not returned, but instead destroyed, as cleaning them would cost more than they are worth. So I would bet that more than 99% of UPS drivers have never taken anything home that does not belong to them, Ever.

d

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I stated that the employeee and SUP should have lost their jobs. I believe that strongly - One, because our sole responsibility is other people's property, and theft of same, no matter how insignificant (a can of silly string) it is still theft.

Not trying to wear a halo (sp), it's just I think that is what, rule one on page one of the ups manual?

Second reason they should have been fired? Classic example of where a firing SHOULD have been used as an example for others to learn from.

And no, I have not taken anything home from UPS that I was not supposed to. I forget alot of things, but not the first, primary thing you are told - do not steal or you are fired.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
So it's cool to walk into Walmart rip open a can of the same stuff and spray it around?

Thats the same thing I was thinking. What would happen if you went into a store and walked out with a few cans of Silly String that you did not pay for. Too bad some people have problems with deciding what is Right and what is Wrong. I'm sure the judge would understand that you were "just having fun". A thief is a thief.