What do you do for fun on the job?

H

hseofpayne

Lighten up, Francis.

OK, so some people were bothered that a good time was had at the expense of rule #1, page #1 in the UPS handbook. We are just sticks in the mud, you're right.

Here's one - sometimes when I'm bored, I walk blind people to the middle of the street, trip them & watch them get hit. Ha Ha Ha!

Yeah, just ignore the bad parts, funny, huh?

May I guess something? You've seen all the "JackAss" movies? And really liked them? Bonus point question - You have them on CD?

Nope , never seen a jackass movie, unless you and your firing brigade on here made one! And that post you replied to was lightened up, if you hadnt had your sense of humor surgically removed, you would recognize this!:happy-very: You people are talking about firing a whole belt over $1.99 silly string! Whose REALLY silly here?! Give 'em a warning, if they do it again, then fire 'em. Firing 'em does fit in nicely with the blind old lady trick, though. Good to see you are consistent. :happy-very:Again, your brand of funny is more "dont ask, dont tell" than ha ha funny.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I won't start a poll or anything, but house, you are just wrong. I can't argue with you about it if you cannot see that, you either know it or you don't. You don't.

Unfortunately, there cannot be gray areas, it is completely black and white. It MUST be black & white, or there would be no order at all. "Steal & you're fired, UNLESS it is of a value of $5 or less, OR you had a good laugh while taking it."

We won't see eye to eye on this, you feel as strongly that it is ok to steal if the box was open & they had fun, I don't. I don't believe I'm in the minority here.

The only person who should feel stupid, silly, is the guy who took the cap off the silly string & started shooting. What a dumb, but perfectly valid, reason to get fired.

New Englander

Funny, you seem like a "pole" worshiper kinda guy! I just hope for your sake that your sup isn't as ruthless as you guys when he catches you washing your car. If a guy can get fired over a .25 cent piece of candy, I am sure 15 minutes of overtime added to your day will get you fired. While it may not seem as obvious as silly string waste, it is still taking money. Would I fire you or the whole belt of silly stringers? No, but I assume that kind of compassion for my fellow UPSer would make me poor management material in your eyes. You do realize if you fired these kids for "stealing" $1.99 can of silly string, it would follow them for the rest of their life. Every time they applied for a job, it would be on their record of employment. Is it worth that much to you?

That is an absolutely stupid point of view to take.

So in your eyes, if my truck ever dies and I need to make a big purchase somewhere I can "borrow" a UPS truck from my center to be able to transport said item? That wouldn't even be considered stealing it since I planned on returning it the same day.

If you steal you deserve what comes of it.

New Englander

Oh and Tie, the original poster does have his personal blog linked to his post. There's enough information there for someone to figure out who he is :)

Really smart on his part!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Funny, you seem like a "pole" worshiper kinda guy! I just hope for your sake that your sup isn't as ruthless as you guys when he catches you washing your car. If a guy can get fired over a .25 cent piece of candy, I am sure 15 minutes of overtime added to your day will get you fired. While it may not seem as obvious as silly string waste, it is still taking money. Would I fire you or the whole belt of silly stringers? No, but I assume that kind of compassion for my fellow UPSer would make me poor management material in your eyes. You do realize if you fired these kids for "stealing" $1.99 can of silly string, it would follow them for the rest of their life. Every time they applied for a job, it would be on their record of employment. Is it worth that much to you?

I just want to be clear - you know I'm new here, you know we disagree on this topic (you feel it is OK to steal, I don't), but clarify this -

That reply is the third time I've seen you do that - someone disagrees with you, you call them gay? What are you, 12? Does daddy work at UPS and you are just using the computer?

Certainly explains the vehement defense of the theft of silly string & gum, however.

H

hseofpayne

That is an absolutely stupid point of view to take.

So in your eyes, if my truck ever dies and I need to make a big purchase somewhere I can "borrow" a UPS truck from my center to be able to transport said item? That wouldn't even be considered stealing it since I planned on returning it the same day.

If you steal you deserve what comes of it.

So now taking a UPS car home for personal use is on the same level as silly string?!!!!!! Thats comparing apples to 747s! I do appreciate being called stupid, though! We are talking about a group of young guys who got carried away and made a mistake. Should they be punished? As I have said several times before, yes. Verbal warning, write 'em up, whatever, but fired!!! Now come up with a better comparison for me, at least in the area of fruit, and try again.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
There is not, and cannot be, a gray area. You either steal, or you don't. Can't be "a little bit pregnant". Can't be Just A Little Theft. We can go round & round. People with common sense understand this, for whatever reason, you don't. Fair enough, let's knock it off.

I'm posting here & I'm bored with it & you, must be killing the others. You've already shown your hand as to the type of person you are, I have better things to do than to argue with either a 12 year old or homophobe.

H

hseofpayne

I just want to be clear - you know I'm new here, you know we disagree on this topic (you feel it is OK to steal, I don't), but clarify this -

That reply is the third time I've seen you do that - someone disagrees with you, you call them gay? What are you, 12? Does daddy work at UPS and you are just using the computer?

Certainly explains the vehement defense of the theft of silly string & gum, however.
When did we start talking bout gum?!

Now thats a little better, but you need to mask the anger a little better! I think maybe 7 or 8 times now I have said what they did was wrong, even offered my opinion on what would be appropriate punishment. Now if you want, I will go back over my theory. The offenders should be taken into the office for a thorough verbal bashing, followed by a warning of dire consequences should this behavior be observed again. That seems like a fair and might I say, evenheaded approach to the situation. If you go
around firing folks for every infraction to make examples of them, pretty soon there will be no folks left to fire! As far as the gay thing goes, it seems to work far better that your jackass movie comments when it comes to , how did you put it, 'really hitting a nerve"!" What we have here, is a failure to communicate". I believe in punishment for thievery, just not cuttings ones hand off!!!!

H

hseofpayne

There is not, and cannot be, a gray area. You either steal, or you don't. Can't be "a little bit pregnant". Can't be Just A Little Theft. We can go round & round. People with common sense understand this, for whatever reason, you don't. Fair enough, let's knock it off.

I'm posting here & I'm bored with it & you, must be killing the others. You've already shown your hand as to the type of person you are, I have better things to do than to argue with either a 12 year old or homophobe.

What kind of person am I? And feel free to read and comprehend all of my posts on this subject, including the ones about possible punishments for the hardened silly string criminals before you say I condone theft! Oh, and I ain't no homophobe, don't approve of it, but ain't skeered!

New Englander

So now taking a UPS car home for personal use is on the same level as silly string?!!!!!! Thats comparing apples to 747s! I do appreciate being called stupid, though! We are talking about a group of young guys who got carried away and made a mistake. Should they be punished? As I have said several times before, yes. Verbal warning, write 'em up, whatever, but fired!!! Now come up with a better comparison for me, at least in the area of fruit, and try again.

I didn't steal it I borrowed it and returned it.

Did the silly string get replaced or returned?

H

hseofpayne

Seriously, the sups in question showed poor judgement and, at worst, should be disciplined for this incident, but by no means should they be terminated. Letting this slide sets a poor example and the employees may find they have a hard time drawing the line and may find themselves in the unemployment line as a result of what started out as fun.

This post sounds an awful lot like what I have said all along. Feel free to bombard ole UpState with negative posts questioning his code of ethics regarding theft!

For me, nothing beats the enjoyment of parking on the side of a busy street at rush hour. I always seem to move a little slower when there is a block long line of cars desperately trying to change lanes to get from behind me. I call it giving the general public a lesson on getting the big picture. I guess they think the flashing hazard lights are just a bluff.

H

hseofpayne

I didn't steal it I borrowed it and returned it.

Did the silly string get replaced or returned?

I have it on good authority that after starting this thread and seeing that his job, yes even his life was in danger, ole kwed95 went out and bought that poor blind, one legged, deaf mute homeless woman a whole case of silly string. Seems she was using the aerosol to get high under a bridge. Tragically, this same woman was led out into traffic by the holier than tho man and she never got a chance to use her silly string.

drewed

Shankman
well we once had a box of dongs, fleshlights, blow up dolls break open and .....

we repacked it immediatley, it had a really strange odor tho.....lol

UPS Lifer

UPS :-)

I worked in possibly the worst HUB and shift (Ontario Pre-Load) and managed to have fun all the time. I have learned, from UPS, the more you have fun at work the more you will enjoy it and actually work harder.

----------------
Now playing: The Haunted - The Drowning via FoxyTunes

You mean you didn't enjoy getting your start time bumped back by the M-Sort especially during peak??? !!! Now that is fun!!! :wink-very: