What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
bb, I was the one who reported your post. It is one thing to debate an issue---it is quite another to call another member, no matter how annoying that member can be, a ******* *****.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Thanks!

I think?

I'm annoying?

Just Kidding. I appreciate your kindness for looking out for me.

In light of our online relationship this shows true character on your part!

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i agree 100%. no need to have anyone on the road past 7:00 the latest.nobody wants you at the house that late.too dark ,dogs in the yard doing there thing .even on halloween when little kids are out were delivring in the dark .sounds safe to me. will stay the same til someone runs some kid over..just like everything else today not a problem til it happens.reactive not proactive...

How do you think we got the cameras installed? Do you think Scott woke up one morning and decided he wanted to put rear-facing cameras on all of the package cars?

Integrity---you are extremely annoying. Dave.

UpsYours

i live in ny too.i remember why and now that driver has to live with what happened the rest of there lives.and that was during the day if i remember correctly.

Several years ago, and this was back when UPS was still using the six safe work methods, we had a center manager who came out to bring some packages, and he ended up joining the five of us drivers for lunch. Off the record, he did admit that UPS does not care about safety as much as they should. All of us held a great deal of respect for this man because he spoke the truth. Even back then, safety took a back seat to just about everything else. One of the other regulars here posted a brilliant comment some time back: all the safety drivel(five, eight, and ten keys), are more about assignment of blame than prevention. No matter what happens, UPS goes out of their way to find a way to blame the hourly. If they really did care as much about safety as they say, there would be no need for nine five grievances.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Join management; you'll see my point. Until then, I'll resign.
brownbagging,

A part-time supervisor has the most important role when it comes to leading your workers to ensure that everyone embraces safety as a personal value.

You should be the one to set high standards for safety through your words and actions.

The company expects you to provide a safe work environment with all equipment in working order and UPS Safe Work Methods followed.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several years ago, and this was back when UPS was still using the six safe work methods, we had a center manager who came out to bring some packages, and he ended up joining the five of us drivers for lunch. Off the record, he did admit that UPS does not care about safety as much as they should. All of us held a great deal of respect for this man because he spoke the truth. Even back then, safety took a back seat to just about everything else. One of the other regulars here posted a brilliant comment some time back: all the safety drivel(five, eight, and ten keys), are more about assignment of blame than prevention. No matter what happens, UPS goes out of their way to find a way to blame the hourly. If they really did care as much about safety as they say, there would be no need for nine five grievances.

To be fair, there is some value to the safety drivel---they are basically common sense put on paper---I find myself using the safety drivel when driving my personal vehicle.

UpsYours

all this safety stuff that goes on is just to satisfy OSHA regulations.even after 911 it is a very different place to live now in the US. and has anyone actually been audited by this KETER we have been threatened with for the last so many years?

Integrity

Binge Poster
hurricanegunner,

Maybe you would know; how do you think UPS(whoever that represents) communicates that they do not care about safety to low level management?

Sincerely,
I

UpsYours

UPS drivers are safe for the most part.working for this co. you need to be or life can be Hell..its the people on the road that need the safety training. we need eyes all around our head when were out there anytime of the work day..for some reason many people just dont get what we do out there and dont see this big brown truck..go figure..i do feel safer driving my work truck than my personal vehicle though.get out of my way i`m coming through.....:surprised:

Integrity

Binge Poster
all this safety stuff that goes on is just to satisfy OSHA regulations.even after 911 it is a very different place to live now in the US. and has anyone actually been audited by this KETER we have been threatened with for the last so many years?
UpsYours,

Where to you get the information that this safety stuff is to satisfy OSHA regulations?

Do you feel threatened when there is announcement of a KETER audit?

Sincerely,
I

curiousbrain

UpsYours,

Where to you get the information that this safety stuff is to satisfy OSHA regulations?

Sincerely,
I

Ha .. Hahaha .. Hahaha ... haha .. I'd respond, but I would be moderated because of my .. profanity. Enjoy your stay in LaLa Land.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Bingo all ups cares about is covering their ***.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
UpsYours,

Sincerely,
I

It is probably (most certainly) mandated by Liberty Mutual more than OSHA.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ha .. Hahaha .. Hahaha ... haha .. I'd respond, but I would be moderated because of my .. profanity. Enjoy your stay in LaLa Land.
brownbaggin,

The post you are quoting was directed at UpsYours, there is no need for you to feel you have to respond.

LaLaLand?

I don't know what you mean?

Sincerely,
I

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Actions speak louder than words as far as safety goes. I think a good 95% of us feel that ups certainly puts safety on the back burner. It doesn't take a genius you've been on this forum awhile you've read plenty of posts. Please tell my why it how u feel differently than any person on here.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I disagree, UPS the company, or corporation has fairly clear Policies, Procedures, Codes, Charters , Strategies, Training, Methods, and Values.
I think individuals are wrongfully influenced to go against the above because of a fear based culture that exists in many areas of the company.

Integrity,
I agree with you completely here. But that's not what your originally asked. And when you KNOWINGLY enable management to violate "policies, procedures codes, charters, strategies, training, methods, and values" for the sake of production... well, then you really don't have "policies, procedures, codes, charters, strategies, training, methods, and values." If a strip club declared in its mission statement its position against underage dancers... and hired nothing but underage dancers... does its mission statement really mean much?

The fact is, production is what matters most to UPS. Safety becomes a concern only when the numbers look poor -- which is why many managers retort to harassing employees when they attempt to claim an injury that management knows happened at UPS. You mentioned the Keter Audit. In the decade-plus I've been here, we've NEVER had a surprise Keter audit. Somebody either tips off management, or they're able to determine their arrival based on Keter's scheduled staffing (we're a large building). When Keter arrives, management starts us earlier and moves people from the unload to the preload (thus slowing down the process rate & increasing the load rate). The whole thing is a sham.

I brought up trailer load quality in an early posting. It use to be that a good load was measured by the quality of the "T" shape formed -- heavier stuff on the bottom, lighter stuff on the top w/bags touching the ceiling. Now a good load is measured by the lack of available space... which means that bags are placed on the very bottom, stuff just thrown across them & wedged in so that the load often collapses when you start to unload it. Sadly, most of the UPS IE guys have no idea what's that like. And I call them UPS IE guys because IE is a wonderful science, typically entailed by well-educated, intelligent people as a post-graduate program. At UPS, we have "IE" guys who barely passed HS and have never furthered themselves beyond it. Kinda like all the FT sups & center manager that think they're doctors.