What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
For Discussion:

The safety of UPSers and the general public is of utmost importance to the management of UPS and the Leaders of the Teamsters.

Do you regard this as a true statement?

I so; what everyday examples can you share that lead you to draw this conclusion?

If not; what leads you to draw this conclusion?

Sincerely,
I

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Safety is only important when someone gets hurt. If they really truly cared about safety, we would not be knocking on doors at 8pm at night. Push, pull, lifting lowering, all crap. People are going to get hurt doing that, its a fact in the numbers of people we have doing it. Our most serious problem is we are out too late, fatigue sets in and safety is at risk after dark, period.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This applies to drivers, but also inside workers as well as (perhaps most importantly), supervisors.

Many serious injuries tend to be supervisors who are walking on moving belts, retrieving pkgs from traps, jumping off platforms/belts, etc.

These are without question due to the nature of being hurried to finish sorts of keep belts moving, to maintain optimal flow of packages, etc. Just scratching the surface.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Safety is important until productivity is affected. Therefore, productivity must be considered utmost priority.
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is just not true.

Where do you get your inaccurate information?

UPS management support the fact that no job is so important that you have to risk injury to get it done.

Do have individual management employees acting differently towards safety?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Safety is only important when someone gets hurt. If they really truly cared about safety, we would not be knocking on doors at 8pm at night. Push, pull, lifting lowering, all crap. People are going to get hurt doing that, its a fact in the numbers of people we have doing it. Our most serious problem is we are out too late, fatigue sets in and safety is at risk after dark, period.
toonertoo,

I diagree. You have to make safety important before someone gets hurt.

Personal safety is a core value of UPS.

Have you reported this safety concern to the company?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
This applies to drivers, but also inside workers as well as (perhaps most importantly), supervisors.

Many serious injuries tend to be supervisors who are walking on moving belts, retrieving pkgs from traps, jumping off platforms/belts, etc.

These are without question due to the nature of being hurried to finish sorts of keep belts moving, to maintain optimal flow of packages, etc. Just scratching the surface.
Sleeve_meet_heart,

Have you witnessed these safety violations?

If so, have you reported them to the company?

Sincerely,
I

curiousbrain

Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is just not true.

UPS management support the fact that no job is so important that you have to risk injury to get it done.

Sincerely,
I

Far be it for me to speak for anyone but myself. Nevertheless, I will offer my observations ...

If you don't "get" what Sleeve (and others) have said, you are so far beyond the reality of what happens in Operations, that you should probably take a permanent nap. Honestly, quit wasting other peoples time. You need a reality check, sir.

Until then, enjoy your Fantasy Land.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is just not true.

It is true. Just from this past week:
* My job was threatened for refusing to lift a transmission that weighed more than 300 lbs. [These are regular deliveries ... the Company has done NOTHING to stop their pick-up or progression.]
* I unloaded a 53' trailer in which I estimate 75% of the packages were heavy (50 lbs. or more) or bulky (e.g. boxes of 30 lb. of textbooks / paper reams that feel much heavier). These packages were stacked to the top of the ceiling -- including a 93 lb. package with no overweight markings that was wedged in so tightly, it knocked me & my load stand down. Again, this is a REGULAR occurrence (the hub filters all the heavy packages onto a single trailer). We've taken pictures and questioned this in the past & have been told EXPLICITLY that the loading style helped their production numbers.
* Speaking of loads ... nowadays, the emphasis is on filling all available space. Even if that means placing a hazmat (you know... blocked & braced, no higher than waist) in the hole. Or a 120 lb. metal pipe in the hidden hole at the very top, that the unloader isn't going to see until he moves a package and the pipe comes at him. It use to be that you loaded heavier packages on the bottom, lighter in the middle & bags at the top of the ceiling. Now... production, production, production - what's your function?
* I refused to work in a trailer with an employee that had the flu -- I get sick real easily, and certainly don't need to flu. I was told I'd be "voluntarily quitting."

This is just my observations, as a petty preloader. There were other incidents, but I digress.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Far be it for me to speak for anyone but myself. Nevertheless, I will offer my observations ...

If you don't "get" what Sleeve (and others) have said, you are so far beyond the reality of what happens in Operations, that you should probably take a permanent nap. Honestly, quit wasting other peoples time. You need a reality check, sir.

Until then, enjoy your Fantasy Land.
brownbaggin,

I am fairly clear on what others have said and I have responded to their side of this discussion.

This is a forum for discussion.

Have you received UPS Safety training?

I am spending my time in this discussion no on elses, if someone feels it is a waste of time then I suggest they find another past time.

Sincerely,
I

curiousbrain

brownbaggin,

I am fairly clear on what others have said and I have responded to their side of this discussion.

This is a forum for discussion.

Have you received UPS Safety training?

I am spending my time in this discussion no on elses, if someone feels it is a waste of time then I suggest they find another past time.

Sincerely,
I

Have I received "Safety Training?" ... LOL god you cannot be serious .. you are a joke.

Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is just not true.

Sincerely,
I

Obviously, I, you have never been told what a "Hot Load" a trailer with serious safety issues is before. There have been times UPS' value on safety has been directly proportionate to the level that a good driver will stand up to them about moving one.

Instances too numerous to mention so don't ask.

over9five

Staff member
over9five,

What method did you use to report this concern?

What was the outcome of this concern?

Sincerely,
I
I voiced my concern to my management team. I also knew they could do nothing about it, it's certainly not the old days when a center manager could actually run his own center.