What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For a man of the cloth all integrity posts sure seem like they are meant to cause as much of a stir as possible. I mean he already knew exactly how everyone would respond. So short of causing trouble I have no idea why he started this thread.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster,

I don't sit at the right hand of God however I am a follower of the one who does.

It must be a rewarding time for you to have put in your retirement paperwork.

Congratulations on this great milestone in a man's life!

Many blessings to you!!!!

Sincerely,
I

Thank you ... I feel blessed!

To be fair, there is some value to the safety drivel---they are basically common sense put on paper---I find myself using the safety drivel when driving my personal vehicle.
True, but memorization by rote means nothing. We already are doing everything we can to be safe. None of us want to have an accident or get hurt. Making us memorize endless lists and sayings does nothing. Making us regurgitate this drivel on command even when we have not had an accident or injury does nothing other than make us feel harrassed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
For a man of the cloth all integrity posts sure seem like they are meant to cause as much of a stir as possible. I mean he already knew exactly how everyone would respond. So short of causing trouble I have no idea why he started this thread.
Brownslave688,

The term man of the cloth is usually referring to an ordained minister or priest of some sort. I am neither nor have I ever claimed to be.

I bring UPS discussion topics of interest and importance to me.

Discussions that contain hard facts about the shortcomings and failures of individuals who work for a corporation often do have a way of stirring people up.

It is sad how so many employees want to ignore the right thing and then blame UPS, them or they for their actions without ever saying who UPS, them or they are.

Sincerely,
I

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Brownslave688,

The term man of the cloth is usually referring to an ordained minister or priest of some sort. I am neither nor have I ever claimed to be.

I bring UPS discussion topics of interest and importance to me.

Discussions that contain hard facts about the shortcomings and failures of individuals who work for a corporation often do have a way of stirring people up.

It is sad how so many employees want to ignore the right thing and then blame UPS, them or they for their actions without ever saying who UPS, them or they are.

Sincerely,
I

UPS - united parcel service

They are the company most of us work for. Including you (supposedly).

So what would be the right thing to do if I feel like 12 plus hours is too long of a day?

Do u suggest I just quit when I feel too tired to work and head back? I promise we would all be fired.

I'm more interested in how you deal with what u view as safety discretions you see?

Leftinbuilding

I, your questions are entirely too simplistic. "Who told you this?", "who instructed you to do that"? In my 36 years I had at least 74 different District Mgrs, Division Mgrs, Center Mgrs and on car supes. If I included all the preload supes, local sort supes, safety supes, IE, plant engineering, HR, BD, district staff, and the auditors from other centers, it would number in the thousands. And EVERY one of them has their own personal "hot button". So to expect someone to nail down a specific time and place they were told to do a certain thing a certain way is ludicrous. It is simply the culture at UPS that demands the occasional compromise in safety. No doubt, every driver here has at some point, at the end of a ride along, been told they were driving/walking too slow. Just a general statement, without regard to conditions at a particular time. So we are conditioned to maybe move a little faster than prudent at times. IT'S THE CULTURE!! I could go on forever but somehow I don't believe you really care to dismiss your rose colored view and face reality, so I will stop.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In my center safety has become a very high priority,and unlike many centers it's not just Lip Service. We have a very active safety committee and 5 days a week 4 to 5 drivers are brought in for DOK questions and as a driver we group we are told at least once a week we are expected to both know as well as follow the 5 seeing eye habits,10 point commentary,8 keys to lifting/lowering,5 rules for backing , Yard Control as well as using 3 Points of Contact. Safety tips are both given in the morning PCM as well as a message thru the DIAD every afternoon.

Until a couple of years ago the annual Safety Ride lasted about half an hour and of you could demonstrate you could drive without killing someone you passed.
Now the rides last at least half a day.All of the seeing eye habits are demonstrated,as well as explained in depth,not just recited. Driver Drills are performed and the Supe observes every motion the driver makes . It aint a joyride any longer for either the driver or the Supe

I havent heard production mentioned in over a year but if a driver's Telematics report shows unsafe habits( Recording in Travel,Seatbelts,Bulkhead Door) that driver gets a meeting with the center manager and the steward,and as a result the centers Telematics report usually looks very good.We were expected to follow Telematics thru peak as well,no exceptions.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is just not true.

Where do you get your inaccurate information?

UPS management support the fact that no job is so important that you have to risk injury to get it done.

Do have individual management employees acting differently towards safety?

Sincerely,
I
This is according to FNN. I have heard through the ripe grapevines regarding UPS rumors of these "truths". Is it perhaps a conspiracy theory?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm going to steer clear of this thread. Integrity asks a lot of questions. I am not annoyed, as some people are or have seemed to be (at least in the past). But I don't know, seems like a waste of time to be writing thousands of words over things (big and small) that'll never change.

Leftinbuilding

I'm going to steer clear of this thread. Integrity asks a lot of questions. I am not annoyed, as some people are or have seemed to be (at least in the past). But I don't know, seems like a waste of time to be writing thousands of words over things (big and small) that'll never change.

I had the same attitude but finally succumbed. Hard to figure where "Integrity" is coming from. I get the feeling the attitude and condescension are an act.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had the same attitude but finally succumbed. Hard to figure where "Integrity" is coming from. I get the feeling the attitude and condescension are an act.
I don't detect any attitude or arrogance. No idea where it's coming from, so it's best not to divulge into a bunch of stories about arms being torn off and knees being ripped apart. Not even curious.

But whatever knowledge Integrity seeks, it's probably best done so with integrity (as seems to be the case ) ;)(

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Indecisi0n,

Why do you think the safety committee is a joke?

It is very easy to say this but details as to why you feel this way will further the discussion if you care to.

Sincerely,
I

Because if safety was treated seriously, there wouldn't be a safety committee. EVERY employee would participate, not just a selected group of employees. This is the definition of the cheap route to safety. After all, it would cost a lot more money to involve every employee the way the safety committee is involved, no?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my center safety has become a very high priority,and unlike many centers it's not just Lip Service. We have a very active safety committee and 5 days a week 4 to 5 drivers are brought in for DOK questions and as a driver we group we are told at least once a week we are expected to both know as well as follow the 5 seeing eye habits,10 point commentary,8 keys to lifting/lowering,5 rules for backing , Yard Control as well as using 3 Points of Contact. Safety tips are both given in the morning PCM as well as a message thru the DIAD every afternoon.Until a couple of years ago the annual Safety Ride lasted about half an hour and of you could demonstrate you could drive without killing someone you passed.Now the rides last at least half a day.All of the seeing eye habits are demonstrated,as well as explained in depth,not just recited. Driver Drills are performed and the Supe observes every motion the driver makes . It aint a joyride any longer for either the driver or the SupeI havent heard production mentioned in over a year but if a driver's Telematics report shows unsafe habits( Recording in Travel,Seatbelts,Bulkhead Door) that driver gets a meeting with the center manager and the steward,and as a result the centers Telematics report usually looks very good.We were expected to follow Telematics thru peak as well,no exceptions.
Memorizing crap and sending Diad messages is an active safety committee? Have they done anything to change the way things are done in the name of safety?