What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is what a time study is supposed to reflect, right?
So with that in mind, how do you account for a driver being an hour or two under?
Why would a company, preaching safety first, offer to compensate employees who are cheating the safety mandates a bonus?
Try and look past your own hypocrisy to answer this question.

I usually run .5 to 1.0 under with a personal best of just shy of 3 hrs under. I do not work in a bonus center and disagree 100% with the bonus system for the reasons you gave. As I said, it is possible to work both quickly and safely.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I usually run .5 to 1.0 under with a personal best of just shy of 3 hrs under. I do not work in a bonus center and disagree 100% with the bonus system for the reasons you gave. As I said, it is possible to work both quickly and safely.

An integration of quickness and safety???
LOL!!!!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dragon, please clarify one thing for me. In your post you stated that you love Telematics in that it allows you to give warning letters to drivers who admit to the Telematics violation(s). I know that Telematics in and of itself cannot be used for discipline (yet----this will change in 2013) so is it their admission that allows you to give the warning letters?

BH, it is possible to work both quickly and safely.

Yes its the admission, believe me I don't do this alot and I apologize if I made it sound like I did. I usually review the telematics report before, day of and after the S&V ride just to see what they did while we were on the car vs off the car.

and for BH just because a driver is underallowed does not mean they are unsafe...
the reward for getting done early when you have extra work = CASH MONEY, what employee at any company does not want this!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You have never been on a pkg car with me yet can make such an assumption? You have no idea of my work methods and area knowledge.

I think I'll go back to ignoring you---it has served me well in the past.

I wasn't talking about you, rather the system, but you're too conceded to see it.
Modern day time studies assume the driver to have area and methods knowledge.
You aren't special, you're a cheater if you are an hour under at today's UPS.

You have never shown an ability to ignore anybody here, especially me, so lets not pretend Nancy.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Much like the other management I've questioned, you fail to answer my questions. Why do we recognize production more heavily than safety in that instance? Why do we not have these "production heros" explain how they achieved such numbers? These two employees both have had injuries in the last year alone. I know these two employees very closely, the methods they use, and fully admit to doing things that are not by the methods. Why doesn't management simply sit down and use telematics to the extent you would for someone who was under performing? The answer to these questions is the same for the everyday operations, as long as the result is achieved, it doesn't matter how we got there.

I don't know what your center team does with the telematics report...

We actually review it daily..normally nothing to review with anyone we just post it so you can review it yourself.

Keep the bulk head door closed, seat belt on, reduce idle and backing..and we will continue to work on over allowed in my non-bonus center.

If you are not on lunch or break you better be working (validation thru key punch which is recorded via diad).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
the reward for getting done early when you have extra work = CASH MONEY, what employee at any company does not want this!

A management employee who claims safety first should be vehemently opposed to this type of bonus system and the methods violations it encourages.
You are the employee at OUR company who shouldn't want this!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dragon, how would you deal with a driver who had nearly 2 hours of idle time and 80 something recording while idling? Those are the numbers one of our country drivers posted on a cold day last week.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The whole notion of "getting done early" is silly, imo. The work gets done when it gets done.

The same reason meteorology and forecasting is such a nuanced skill that escapes even the most genius, the same goes for forecasting package volume, load quality, traffic patterns and any other non-static variables that cannot be forecasted with precision. 365 days a year of driving and you'll see 365 daily routine permutations.

A good portion of this money could be better invested in such things as ,.. safety.

UPS can try it's best to accurately predict life as it occurs, but we're still a few centuries away.

Until then, "early" and "late" have no meaning to me. jmo ;)

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I would say they stay safe as a result of their collective experiences, and learning from their near misses and mistakes.
I'm not here to rail against safety, I am just saying safety doesn't begin and end with commentaries and buzz phrases.
The recognition I would like is to be left alone until I display a reason for you to give me remedial training.

Regardles what you think of the commentaries and buzz phrases, its still training and you are required to know it in order to work safely.
You will be supervised like everyone else. We review the 14 DOK questions with you, if you know them..nice job and we move on to the next person for DOK review and training. If not the remedial training continues.....your choice. Treat you no different then any other employee.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know my DOK,yard security, how to walk like a penguin, I know my rules for backing. 5 keys to preventing slips and falls. 8 keys to lifting and lowering. Driver drill, when do they start addressing some of the "scary" parts of the job? When do real life situations come into play since all the drivel has been addressed, or do we just use EC????

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Regardles what you think of the commentaries and buzz phrases, its still training and you are required to know it in order to work safely.
You will be supervised like everyone else. We review the 14 DOK questions with you, if you know them..nice job and we move on to the next person for DOK review and training. If not the remedial training continues.....your choice. Treat you no different then any other employee.

I am not required to know it.
I have never demonstrated that I do, yet I continue to earn a paycheck week in and week out.
The remedial quizzing continues, I'll admit.
Drives my management team nuts that I wont utilize the provided answer key.
Demonstrating that I know something that I don't isn't in my best interest.
I've got 12 years to go at least.
So remedial away by the hour, on the clock.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dragon, how would you deal with a driver who had nearly 2 hours of idle time and 80 something recording while idling? Those are the numbers one of our country drivers posted on a cold day last week.

In the office with me and the steward (first occurrence), and I am going out to observe him..doesn't matter that he is in the country would not be the first time I tracked a driver down in the country.
2nd occurrence (warning letter) and sup rides that day
3rd time (3 day)
4th time (5 day)
5 working termination (Article 7)

this of course if all equipment is recording correctly.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I am not required to know it.
I have never demonstrated that I do, yet I continue to earn a paycheck week in and week out.
The remedial quizzing continues, I'll admit.
Drives my management team nuts that I wont utilize the provided answer key.
Demonstrating that I know something that I don't isn't in my best interest.
I've got 12 years to go at least.
So remedial away by the hour, on the clock.

I'm not here to rail against safety,

not sure this reflects your last post...

Sounds like your railing against safety to me.

over9five

Staff member
Seriously, Dave? You look at that crap every day, and know your "personal best"?

browndevil

Safety is only important when someone gets hurt. If they really truly cared about safety, we would not be knocking on doors at 8pm at night. Push, pull, lifting lowering, all crap. People are going to get hurt doing that, its a fact in the numbers of people we have doing it. Our most serious problem is we are out too late, fatigue sets in and safety is at risk after dark, period.

Amen Sister, Amen!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Circle of Honor 007.jpg Always said I can recite the words to a song it doesn't make me a singer. I chose to be safe for me and it is very important. The pcm bs about safety that was read out of a book each day at every center was a joke most of the time .Seemed like safety was only important for brownie points for center manager or when there was a accident. Production is all that matters now. Cut routes and send em out. Man I don't miss that place.
Circle of Honor 007.jpg