What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

InsideUPS

A lot of people have posted about safety training. The issue is when we review the safety process with the employee they "feel" they do not need to know it because its not in the contract.

Here is an example:

We spend all the day with you on the pacakge car completing an S&V. We review everything (5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, backing, SWM) we even reduce backing events on car and point out things you are doing wrong and we document it all. This is called training and for everyone of you you get this training once a year. We demonstrated on your route on how to use 5 seeing habits etc; etc; not in some dry office setting.

After the S&V, we do an interview and you still cannot give me example's on what we worked on with you while on the car (supervisor is in the chair next to you during the interview and is rattling it off) Why?
Then you go back on car and proceed to back where we told you not too (love telematic's = immediate warning letter because you will admit you did it when I review telematics with you and steward) or you don't clear the intersection or you hurt your back because you didn't bend at the knees. Remember we demonstrated and trained all the proper ways to do these things when we were on the car with you on a route and we documented it.

Now please explain why you "feel" you don't need to comply with the safety process? Is it not important to the UPS employee as it is to UPS.

If your answer begins with:

I don"t..
I think..
I feel..
I believe..
Its stupid..
It has nothing..
Union says..
Its not in...
I have a degree in....
No one else...
You cannot...
Its drivel...

you may need to re-think what you are about to post.

You are paid over 80k a year to know and demonstrate the answer to 14 safety questions. I do not believe its asking to much.

Safety, Service, Production you have to balance all 3. You can never choose the last 2 over the first one.

A lot of people have posted about safety training. The issue is when we review the safety process with the employee they "feel" they do not need to know it because its not in the contract.

With all due respect.....(see...I did not start my post with any of your pre-determined beginnings) I have never heard one employee in any of our centers state that they did not need to know the safety process because it was not in the contract.

In my experience with UPS safety policies, I have only observed that the safety process is used against employees when an injury or accident occurs. In addition, If I took photos every time inside employees did not have a 28" egress, I would have filled my Apple TB (terabyte) TimeCapsule.

I believe each one of us along the UPS employee "chain" views safety differently. Corporate views it because it limits liability, is mandated by OSHA, etc.. You as a Center Manager view it as part of your responsibility when reporting to your Division Manager. The hourly employee views it as it has affected him or her personally. We "bottom feeders" see things that Corporate never sees. After all, when there is an inspection of some kind or a District Manager is coming to visit....... the floors are clean...the package flow is controlled etc...

In regard to production and safety, UPS needs to realize that each of us is different..... for example, a time standard for one driver may or will not be the same for someone else. Aging affects us all and is NOT a variable that the UPS/I.E. computer guy takes into account. UPS time standards are set by some I.E. guy that counts beans and can be changed in a whim when his boss tells him to. It kills me to see drivers looking at a number that was set by a human and a computer. That number could change easily with a few keystrokes. I ALWAYS encourage employees to be safe considering that not being safe can result in loss of your job.

In regard to "You are paid over 80k a year to know and demonstrate the answer to 14 safety questions. I do not believe its asking to much." That is certainly an oversimplification of why a driver may be paid 80K a year... I might add that he or she works 9-12 hours per day.... is subject to all kinds of physical wear and tear on the body...subjects him or herself to constant stress...traffic..time standards...etc.....and perhaps most important of all........sacrifices enormous amounts of quality family time which can NEVER be compensated for later in life.... Remember, when posting...it's always important to "Get the Big Picture"... Stated in reverse......it would be like saying.. "You (the center manager) are paid over $100K+ per year to simply ask those 14 safety questions" which we both know is not the case.

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

In the office with me and the steward (first occurrence), and I am going out to observe him..doesn't matter that he is in the country would not be the first time I tracked a driver down in the country.
2nd occurrence (warning letter) and sup rides that day
3rd time (3 day)
4th time (5 day)
5 working termination (Article 7)

this of course if all equipment is recording correctly.
"working termination"- that is funny.

cya.

I recently did the annual safety recertification. As a loader in a busy hub, do you know what that entails? A woman came by, had me sign a couple sheets of paper, and that was it. Whenever my sup does his safety reports, I'm asked to sign my name without being asked one single question. Egress? What egress? Irregs on my belt? Huuuuhhh? Management only cares about safety when the insurance guys are there to visit

UpsYours

I've seen the breakdowns of driver "stats" , they look like baseball scorecards. We live in a sick world..truly are only numbers and not human

You are right i try to do my best to not look at those sheets in the morning.Its just there to make everybody mad and point fingers.no good.

stink219

Safety is only limited to reducing workman's comp claims. As a steward and ex safety member, I can say with certainty, UPS does not ensure that safety comes first. Cost is king. Safety committees were created for a few reasons. 1) obligation to OSHA standards 2) reduce workman's comp CLAIMS 3) redirection of liability from the company to the employee.
They say safety is a personal value, until your at a stop for 3 minutes longer than they feel you should.

stink219

Especially when they use safety as a disciplinary tool. It's like slapping a kids hand that is about to burn themselves from touching a hot stove. Different ways for the same result.......PAIN!

oldngray

nowhere special
Safety committees can have contests or other mostly meaningless activities but no power to change any real problems. If they try to change something to make it more safe that is always weighed against cost and cost will always win.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Todays PCM 1-22-2013
Attention drivers. Today many businesses and all schools are closed because of dangerous wind chill, high winds, and power outages. Please use extra care out there, there are downed wires everywhere, when in doubt, do not get out. Do your best to get all businesses and meds off your truck, make your pick ups and head to the building. We kept you all light, because safety is of utmost importance, and tomorrow is another day. Be safe, stay warm, kick it, and get back here. This is a dangerous day, take no chances, take frequest breaks somewhere warm, or leave your vehicle running, when you are in it.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Todays PCM 1-22-2013
Attention drivers. Today many businesses and all schools are closed because of dangerous wind chill, high winds, and power outages. Please use extra care out there, there are downed wires everywhere, when in doubt, do not get out. Do your best to get all businesses and meds off your truck, make your pick ups and head to the building. We kept you all light, because safety is of utmost importance, and tomorrow is another day. Be safe, stay warm, kick it, and get back here. This is a dangerous day, take no chances, take frequest breaks somewhere warm, or leave your vehicle running, when you are in it.

LOL!!!!
Now that's funny.
She's a sleep typer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
PCM 1/23/13
We brought in this breakfast to show how much we appreciate your accident free day. Guess we screwed up on the keeping you light part, but today we will do a better job. Only 5 of you are in the red, and we will send you help later...................Today is a photo of yesterday, so when you are cold, feel free to wear your raccoon skin hat with flaps since we are out of the Elmer Fudd ones, on back order. And sorry your uniforms have not come in, and your knees are sheltered by your three layers, so the holes dont matter, and your coat is on so the tattered pockets wont show either, as appearance is everything. And even though your knees are frozen into place, please dont drop a pkg over 6 inches as people are videotaping us. Do the full bend. Try to be as courteous as possible, but after 2 "who is its" feel free to leave as you have done your job, and when they call and complain we will stick up for you. Stay warm, stay safe, and get to that most important stop, the bar.
Sincerely your mgmt team.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not too bad south, but up on the lake Hell. At my house 100 mi south of the snow machine, just a dusting, but the frigid continues.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Someone needs to discuss the safety of keeping us out til 8pm, with wind chills below zero. More snow in the forecast, and I am starting to see grown men cry. Time to file those 9.5s. Although once 6pm hits and you get an air meet, whats so bad about slinging pkgs, for 47 bucks an hour. its fine if you have the stamina. Some dont.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Someone needs to discuss the safety of keeping us out til 8pm, with wind chills below zero. More snow in the forecast, and I am starting to see grown men cry. Time to file those 9.5s. Although once 6pm hits and you get an air meet, whats so bad about slinging pkgs, for 47 bucks an hour. its fine if you have the stamina. Some dont.

You almost hit the nail on the head.
How many 9.5 grievance have been filed by the crying grown men?
I hope that I am wrong and you work in a strong union building with strong representation.
But if it is anything like my building, all I hear is crying.
They all want to what is going on in contract negotiations, all the while not enforcing the contract that we already have.
WTF????

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
NEWS FLASH!!!!! UPS announces today that they will no longer deliver packages in the winter because.....it's cold outside!!!

.....2 weeks later.......

NEWS FLASH!!!!! UPS has decided to close it's doors. Forever. Nobody can figure out why.

5th Wheel

Safe by Choice

Safety is Your Choice. The safety committee is there to bring you the "tools" and it is your choice to put them into action. If drivers have concerns go to a safety member and have it put on the concern log. If it does not get fixed, file a grievance or call the 800 number and file a complaint.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
NEWS FLASH!!!!! UPS announces today that they will no longer deliver packages in the winter because.....it's cold outside!!!

.....2 weeks later.......

NEWS FLASH!!!!! UPS has decided to close it's doors. Forever. Nobody can figure out why.

Who suggested we not deliver packages due to cold weather?
I believe the rub was delivering packages in exceedingly cold weather for 10/11/12+ hours.
All under the premise of safety.
Maybe you are too obtuse to be promoted.