What do you think?

DriverMD

This was like two months after i qualified, probably last september or august. But Ive scratched a driveway before by being a maroon and assuming an 800 could make it up a steep incline in reverse. As soon as the little "step" on the back of the truck made that horrible noise I knew what I had done and thought I would be given the boot. I pulled out, got the package and proceeded on my walk of shame up the driveway where I noticed like 7 other deep hashes in said driveway, easing my mind. But I still knocked on the door amd told the person what happened, and they didn't seem to care lol. It just eased my mind telling them what happened instead of worrying the rest of the day about what might become of my job. Just be upfront to all parties if you goof up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was like two months after i qualified, probably last september or august. But Ive scratched a driveway before by being a maroon and assuming an 800 could make it up a steep incline in reverse. As soon as the little "step" on the back of the truck made that horrible noise I knew what I had done and thought I would be given the boot. I pulled out, got the package and proceeded on my walk of shame up the driveway where I noticed like 7 other deep hashes in said driveway, easing my mind. But I still knocked on the door amd told the person what happened, and they didn't seem to care lol. It just eased my mind telling them what happened instead of worrying the rest of the day about what might become of my job. Just be upfront to all parties if you goof up.

Did you call it in?

peak932

It's best to notify both parties, but you don't tell the home owner about possible damage but let management know, that still covers your butt right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's best to notify both parties, but you don't tell the home owner about possible damage but let management know, that still covers your butt right?

At a minimum you are required to let management know whenever you damage something or are involved in an accident. That is the bare minimum. As a courtesy you should let the homeowner know what happened. How would you want to come home to see part of your garage roof eave missing?

We had a driver who hit one of those portable basketball goals. He told the 13 year old kid who was at home what had happened. The kid told him not to worry about it so he didn't bother to tell anyone. Kid's father came home and was not happy. Called it in and our guy got a 3 day unpaid vacation.

peak932

I heard of a driver (from others drivers telling me) a few months ago that hit a mailbox, never told anyone, people called in , he denied every doing it but then came clean about it, got fired and was back after 3 weeks off.

MassWineGuy

If a driveway is very narrow and long, you'd probably save time walking it off than backing up. Sounds crazy, but that's what happened in a split screen video they showed us in UPS driving school. Each screen had its own timer that showed how long each procedure took. Same distance, same driveway. Walking took less time.

O

OLDMAN3

If a driveway is very narrow and long, you'd probably save time walking it off than backing up. Sounds crazy, but that's what happened in a split screen video they showed us in UPS driving school. Each screen had its own timer that showed how long each procedure took. Same distance, same driveway. Walking took less time.
It depends entirely on how fast you drive and how efficiently you do your turn around. Backing up a driveway is usually not as fast as using a turn around in the driveway.
We actually tested (in our center) how long the walk has to be to equal a skilled driver making the extra drive the length of the driveway, and turn around... in side by side tests.

The driver walking the "driveway" used a brisk pace
The driver driving the "driveway" was driving at a fast but realistic pace

The point was to show that walking doesn't take much longer but...
The result was that even a 30 yard walk was slower than driving and as the distance of the driveway increased the walking driver fell farther behind.

Walking is safer (for accidents not injuries) but slower.

Last edited by a moderator: