What does Memphis do about this?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I see some articles where the guy is being lauded as a "hero". It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see that term get used so loosely these days.

I'm sorry, but putting out a small blaze with a fire extinguisher is not exactly what I would call an act of heroism - flag or not. If that's the case then we need to come up with a new term to describe the first responders who were running up the stairs of the WTC towers on 9/11. Cuz they definitely ain't in the same league.

!Retired!

Protesters cited for burning without a permit from the Fire Department. FedEx courier was not charge with anything. That tell you anything?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see some articles where the guy is being lauded as a "hero". It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see that term get used so loosely these days.

I'm sorry, but putting out a small blaze with a fire extinguisher is not exactly what I would call an act of heroism - flag or not. If that's the case then we need to come up with a new term to describe the first responders who were running up the stairs of the WTC towers on 9/11. Cuz they definitely ain't in the same league.

I agree with you that the word hero has been severely diluted.

vantexan

It seems that those doing the burning are seen by some as heroic for sticking their finger in the eye of the "establishment." And for some of us someone who risks his livelihood and the ridicule of the Left to protect that symbol is heroic to some extent. Not the same as running into a burning bldg to save a baby or some such, but admirable.

vantexan

Well Van, since the civil rights era, this is the method your side uses to minimize the "minority" vote. And I think it's pretty sad that someone with Native American ancestry is blind to this form of oppression.
Again, tell me where, since the civil rights era, is this happening? Where are the goons with guns and clubs that are doing this? Favorite tactic of the Left to suggest this, same Left who deny there are instances of voter fraud thus no need for picture I.D.'s.

vantexan

So as long as somebody is on my own property, they have no constitutional rights? OK. Stupid has reached a new depth.
If someone comes on to your property to burn a flag you've got no right to tell them to quit and leave? They must be allowed because of free speech? Are you handing them the matches too?

bbsam

Staff member
If someone comes on to your property to burn a flag you've got no right to tell them to quit and leave? They must be allowed because of free speech? Are you handing them the matches too?
Are you saying that property rights run counter to constitutional rights? Because I see them running concurrently.

bbsam

Staff member
Remember that in the SOUTH when states wouldn't go after whites' who violated blacks' rights, the Federal government had to prosecute for violating their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

So for someone to say "those are just state property rights etc., they are missing the bigger picture.

vantexan

Are you saying that property rights run counter to constitutional rights? Because I see them running concurrently.
I may be interpreting you wrong, but it sounds like you are saying if someone wants to exercise their free speech rights no one can restrict that in any manner. Even if a protest march comes down your street and several marchers stop on your lawn to burn a flag you've got no right to tell them to stop and get off your lawn? The irony is many on the Left are anti-religion but what you fail to see is your liberal dogma is your religion. And no one better tell you how you can "worship."

vantexan

Remember that in the SOUTH when states wouldn't go after whites' who violated blacks' rights, the Federal government had to prosecute for violating their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

So for someone to say "those are just state property rights etc., they are missing the bigger picture.
Absolutely. And that's settled law and the way it should be. Unfortunately today there are those who use the spectre of racism to cowl others into giving them what they want on just about every issue.

It will be fine

It seems that those doing the burning are seen by some as heroic for sticking their finger in the eye of the "establishment." And for some of us someone who risks his livelihood and the ridicule of the Left to protect that symbol is heroic to some extent. Not the same as running into a burning bldg to save a baby or some such, but admirable.
I haven't seen anyone praising the protesters as heroic. I don't think the fedex guy was thinking about his livelihood when he went off the rails. He was triggered and struck out violently. For the side that is supposedly for law and order there is an awful lot of cheer for this vigilante.

oldngray

nowhere special
I haven't seen anyone praising the protesters as heroic. I don't think the fedex guy was thinking about his livelihood when he went off the rails. He was triggered and struck out violently. For the side that is supposedly for law and order there is an awful lot of cheer for this vigilante.

Is putting out a fire more violent than starting a fire?

oldngray

nowhere special
He forced himself into a crowd, shoved people and used his fire extinguisher to intimidate. Yes, he was clearly the instigator of any physical violence.

He grabbed the burning flag and used a fire extinguisher. The physical violence began when one of the flag burners grabbed the FedEx guy.