What does the Union mean to you ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The thing is, the union has to protect the lazy just as much as the hard dependable worker. Just like the company they do not want to be sued for discriminating which employees to help. Unfortunately there are people that realize this and take advantage of it.
I'm really sick of hearing this mindset from Union employees, and I'll tell you why.

Both the Company and Union agreed to the verbiage in the contract in regards to production.
If there is a worker that is "lazy or undependable" as you put it, there is a procedure in place to remedy that situation, and yes the Union is duty bound to protect those accused.
This is a service paid for by the membership when needed.

In the end, if those accused workers are allowed to persist, I submit to you that it is the Company who is "lazy and undependable", or derelict in their duties, not the Union.
It's actually @Dragon (who "liked" your post) and his team, who is dropping the ball.

Please stop putting that crap sandwich squarely in the Union's lap when it belongs in large part to the Company.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Both the Company and Union agreed to the verbiage in the contract in regards to production.
If there is a worker that is "lazy or undependable" as you put it, there is a procedure in place to remedy that situation

I'm assuming you are referring to verbiage in Art 37 ?

I can confidently say, knocking on the door of almost 40 years....

I have never seen anyone (in my Local) lose their job solely for "production".

The company has tried "overall job performance" pursuant to the old 17-I.

But, was never completely successful. The furthest they got with it, was the JAC.

Even then, they couldn't sustain their argument.

It looked even worse for them, when the grievant (on his own dime) showed up

at the JAC in Denver to be present for the hearing.

10 years later.... he's still driving a pkg car.

-Bug-

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
So there’s a bit of controversy or confusion regarding the union.
In my opinion the union is there to unite employees and support us if we are mistreated.
Like osha compliance etc. if rules are broken then there’s a code of conduct to follow and something will be done.

I’m a bit confused why some union workers are labeled as lazy and just scrape through each day relying on the union to bail them out.

The union should be support for strong employees.
It shouldn’t be job security for bad employees - what’s the definition of bad? I don’t know.
Issues in life happen that prevent work, but if there are patterns of bad performance the issue should be addressed.

Are supervisors in the union too? Some seem to complain that the union is at fault for all the short comings of the business and if there is bad direction or lack of proper planning.
The union shouldn’t be a sups worst enemy. Something isn’t right here.

What does the Union mean to you?

It is the entity that sets rules in place so you know what expectations are for the future. It is the protection for the average worker who just wants to come to work and go home after doing that job. It is the group that helps raise the middle class by forcing Companies to provide fair wages, benefits and a way to retire.

Most sups are upset because the Company takes from them and there is no recourse.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I'm really sick of hearing this mindset from Union employees, and I'll tell you why.

If there is a worker that is "lazy or undependable" as you put it, there is a procedure in place to remedy that situation, and yes the Union is duty bound to protect those accused.
This is a service paid for by the membership when needed.

In the end, if those accused workers are allowed to persist, I submit to you that it is the Company who is "lazy and undependable", or derelict in their duties, not the Union.
It's actually @Dragon (who "liked" your post) and his team, who is dropping the ball.

Please stop putting that crap sandwich squarely in the Union's lap when it belongs in large part to the Company.

We always say that the reason the bad employees exist is because the management is either incompetent or lazy when it comes to trying to fire these employees. Any bad employee is able to be fired so long as it is well documented and followed up.

Over disciplined0123

We already have that in the TCD language.

We were told that the integrad sites are maxed out right now. Whose fault is it that we can't put more FT drivers on right now? Yep, the company's fault.
Is it failure to plan or they planned this all along?

They already turn off the surepost redirect program and illegally send our work to the post office during peak. Yes they do.

So we go to the PVD option? And offer ft work to non-members all the while restricting our pt employees to a lesser pay scale and restricting their helper hours options that still pays LESS than pvd scabs at a time of year that most people need more income.
Just another slap in the face for part time UPS workers and their families.

So the plan is to wait until the last minute and shove it down the Union's throat?
Is it because they've been accustomed to our GP rolling over? You figure it out.
So how hard is it to by pass inter grad. This is a new training system when I went out driving I was part time in the sort isle and my manager came to me and said hey your going full time driving Monday good luck ... I was with a on car supervisor for 3 or 4 days and qualified .. That was 1995. I was familiar a bit with the diad from being a Saturday air driver .... I never had any of that training these guys get now. That’s probably the reason for my :censored2:ty methods .lol

Dr.Brownz

It shouldn’t be job security for bad employees - what’s the definition of bad? I don’t know.
?

That is why the union exists. The company would just fire everyone right before they got to top rate.

A process to correct problem behavior exists, it's called progressive discipline, though most of the time the company is to retarded to follow it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is why the union exists. The company would just fire everyone right before they got to top rate.

A process to correct problem behavior exists, it's called progressive discipline, though most of the time the company is to retarded to follow it.
moot point since it is unlikely there would be a "top rate", wage scale etc. without a union. Certainly not in it's current form (see FedEx scale).