What does the Union mean to you ?

AsweetGirl

Is No Longer Affiliated With UPS
So there’s a bit of controversy or confusion regarding the union.
In my opinion the union is there to unite employees and support us if we are mistreated.
Like osha compliance etc. if rules are broken then there’s a code of conduct to follow and something will be done.

I’m a bit confused why some union workers are labeled as lazy and just scrape through each day relying on the union to bail them out.

The union should be support for strong employees.
It shouldn’t be job security for bad employees - what’s the definition of bad? I don’t know.
Issues in life happen that prevent work, but if there are patterns of bad performance the issue should be addressed.

Are supervisors in the union too? Some seem to complain that the union is at fault for all the short comings of the business and if there is bad direction or lack of proper planning.
The union shouldn’t be a sups worst enemy. Something isn’t right here.

What does the Union mean to you?

AsweetGirl

Is No Longer Affiliated With UPS
I’m not trying to change anything or implement anything. I just don’t understand how it works. How people really feel about it. And during my 3.5 I work no time for chit chat

km3

The company turns good employees into bad employees. You have one good day, and all of a sudden that's not only the new standard for you, but everyone who works on the same task in the same area. "Well, so-and-so can do it in x amount of time..." (yeah, once...)

Indecisi0n

In my opinion the union is there to unite employees and support us if we are mistreated.
Like osha compliance etc. if rules are broken then there’s a code of conduct to follow and something will be done.

I’m a bit confused why some union workers are labeled as lazy and just scrape through each day relying on the union to bail them out.

It shouldn’t be job security for bad employees - what’s the definition of bad? I don’t know.
Issues in life happen that prevent work, but if there are patterns of bad performance the issue should be addressed.

Are supervisors in the union too? Some seem to complain that the union is at fault for all the short comings of the business and if there is bad direction or lack of proper planning.

Are you wearing cloths while typing this?

Union Power

Silent member

So, you're not "United" with the rest of the membership that are slower than you.

The union shouldn't be "a supes worst enemy"? Remember that when you're sitting in an office with Loss Prevention about a missing package and they're fishing for info to fire you.
You come in to this job gungho and after about a year you will figure out who's on your side.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Like non-union subcontractors running off residential stops in their personal vehicles?
PVDs are a serious gamble

if they are allowed, it opens the door to small package being more than a moneysink

if the union stands their ground and strikes to stop them, then we are finished as a company within the next 10-15 years tops

i'd personally just like to see higher PT wages, and maybe more open language on using PTers as surge PVDs or something; regardless of wages i want to see it kept in house, i can't stand the idea of us farming it out to uber type people

Union Power

Silent member
i'd personally just like to see higher PT wages, and maybe more open language on using PTers as surge PVDs or something;
We already have that in the TCD language.
Ups is making billion dollar profits every quarter. PVD isn't something Ups needs so they would have the power to prevent a strike by scrapping the PVD idea.
We were told that the integrad sites are maxed out right now. Whose fault is it that we can't put more FT drivers on right now? Yep, the company's fault.
Is it failure to plan or they planned this all along?

They already turn off the surepost redirect program and illegally send our work to the post office during peak. Yes they do.

So we go to the PVD option? And offer ft work to non-members all the while restricting our pt employees to a lesser pay scale and restricting their helper hours options that still pays LESS than pvd scabs at a time of year that most people need more income.
Just another slap in the face for part time UPS workers and their families.

So the plan is to wait until the last minute and shove it down the Union's throat?
Is it because they've been accustomed to our GP rolling over? You figure it out.

Daf

The thing is, the union has to protect the lazy just as much as the hard dependable worker. Just like the company they do not want to be sued for discriminating which employees to help. Unfortunately there are people that realize this and take advantage of it.