What don't/do like about this contract?

ogrelord

Ground Down
I don't like the starting pay for PT, or that they have to wait 1 year for the benfits. pay progression once you go full time. 3 years to top out, yet you have to run under scratch with in 30 days

I'm getting a bigger raise. well more then the 50 cents that i have beeen getting.

boswharfs

You care because someone cared enough to take care of you. Never mind the fact, that the worse the starting equation gets the worse the overall stability of this deal is going to be for everyone. If no one is compelled to stay at UPS for the long haul, pretty soon the pension will not be good for anyone. Long term benefits hurt by short term solutions.

G

GeorgiaWren

I hope you are wrong about future UPSers not caring about you when you retire. The guys here locally were very concerned about pension benifits for retirees when CS was threatening drastic cuts for them several years ago. We felt it was much more reasonable for them to increase our co-pays than cut their retirement because we can still make up the difference.

30andout

Not to sound selfish, but when you retire current UPS employee wont be so worry when your pension get cut.
Heck when I retire, they already don't care about any of us old timers, its every man for themselves where I am. All the newbies want is good pay for as little as they can do.

Damok

Heck when I retire, they already don't care about any of us old timers, its every man for themselves where I am. All the newbies want is good pay for as little as they can do.

Yeah I never see any "old timers" wandering around milking the clock.

/sarcasm off

sawdusttv

We try all the time to get the new hires and younger employees to join us in the fight for better pension benifits. Most of them say " I don't have time for that crap" or "Oh, I'm not worried about my retirement, they'll have it straightened out before I get there."
Believe it or not, I have 25 years and had a package driver with 3 more years than me, tell me the same thing, saying that he had 10 more years until his kids get out of college and they will fix the retirement before he gets there. I just walk away, shaking my head and thinking, "maybe the old adage about dumb truck drivers, really is true?"

#1angelfan

Not to sound selfish, but why would a current UPS employee be so worried about the starting pay of anyone???
are you a driver? if you are do you like your preloader? what happens if he leaves and they can't get anybody to replace him, because nobody will want to work for 8.50-9.50 an hour busting there butts to load your trucks, and not to mention any kind of benefits until after a year. i talked to an hr rep, and she said that her only selling point to working at ups is the benefits. she said if they change it , she will have a very hard time finding people to work here.

Damok

We try all the time to get the new hires and younger employees to join us in the fight for better pension benifits. Most of them say " I don't have time for that crap" or "Oh, I'm not worried about my retirement, they'll have it straightened out before I get there."

I do the same at my location but it's an uphill battle. Most new hires are young kids who don't look too far into the future or who are in college just looking for some spending cash. Trying to get them to have an interest in something they don't care about or don't think they'll be around long enough to enjoy is like beating your head against a wall. Every once in awhile i'll see the light bulb go off and I guess that's what keeps me at it :)

Cezanne

Here is the master plan, by 2013 or sooner no new part timer will show up for work or quit. It is an "Act of God" so part time supervisors will have to fill the void thus avoiding monetary grievances. If you notice a sudden increased promotion of young, part time supervisors in your operations I just might be on to something.

outamyway

Here is the master plan, by 2013 or sooner no new part timer will show up for work or quit. It is an "Act of God" so part time supervisors will have to fill the void thus avoiding monetary grievances. If you notice a sudden increased promotion of young, part time supervisors in your operations I just might be on to something.

They won't put up with it very long either. You think they want to load trucks for there pay in a polo and slacks. Some loaders look they've been run over by a truck after their day is over.

Shadow999

My main concern is the use of part-timers as vacation day replacements. I feel that there is much room for abuse by mgt in the use of these individuals. I am afraid also that it is the first step to a two-tier wage system. It is too high a price to be able to split up the optional week.

ogrelord

Ground Down
Not to sound selfish, but why would a current UPS employee be so worried about the starting pay of anyone???

The reason, cause i still have 21 years left to go on part time. why would i want to draw from the bottom of the employment barrel? 8.50 an hour, is a joke. thats whats wrong with the teamsters they drove a wedge between PTer's and FTer's. i was talking to a driver last night about all the cover drivers they use instead of adding another route, and he thinks it;s good wording that cover drivers can only drive 208 times a year, or UPS has to add another route. lets do the math 365 days a year, 104 days that don't count towards cover driving( sat, sun) so that brings us down to 261, minus the 208 leave 53 days a year.

Teamsters only caring about them selves is why are union is getting beat up every contract. they target 1 group every time. this time they went after the new emploiees, and feeder drivers. no benny's for 1 year for PTer's, and out sorceing feeder drivers with less then 3 years, just wait drivers your next. like they did with the mail, indepent contractors all the way.

Braveheart

I don't like the starting pay for PT, or that they have to wait 1 year for the benfits. pay progression once you go full time. 3 years to top out, yet you have to run under scratch with in 30 days

I'm getting a bigger raise. well more then the 50 cents that i have beeen getting.
Never have to really run scratch, but a steady improvement is vital!

Now they will have 60 days which cuts both ways!?!?

More time to make it, yes.

More time for them to dangle you around and screw with you before cutting you!!

There is no guarantee of a minimal amount of days you are granted to prove yourself!!!

I have seen repeated drivers cut in less than 2 weeks!!!

One guy went from 3 hours over down to 1 and 1/2 over in 6 days and yet despite the over allowed being cut in half in only 6 days he was cut loose.

He has excellent attendance, college degree, mild mannered, professional, etc etc

I bet he would have had it to less than an hour in another week and below 1/2 in 2.

1timepu

Not to sound selfish, but when you retire current UPS employee wont be so worry when your pension get cut.

Comparing oranges and Apples, worrying about somebody who has not worked for the company, and not worrying about a 25 or 30 year employee, plus you as a part timer I would guess, you would only be cutting your own pension to

steamroll

are you a driver? if you are do you like your preloader? what happens if he leaves and they can't get anybody to replace him, because nobody will want to work for 8.50-9.50 an hour busting there butts to load your trucks, and not to mention any kind of benefits until after a year. i talked to an hr rep, and she said that her only selling point to working at ups is the benefits. she said if they change it , she will have a very hard time finding people to work here.
i remeber in the old days there was that driver/preloader relationship. since the pas came through it's gone. because any preloader can load the driver's truck anytime & anyday & pretty soon the california mininum wage will reach the ups starting wage.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

i remeber in the old days there was that driver/preloader relationship. since the pas came through it's gone. because any preloader can load the driver's truck anytime & anyday & pretty soon the california mininum wage will reach the ups starting wage.

PAS has many benefits for UPS. One of them is recycling Preloaders, sorters, etc so there's less and less union strength as new employees have no knowledge of what some have faught for. When it comes time to negotiate contracts, there's little doubt that no matter how poor they are ( this last one was just a scratch on the surface), they'll be ratified because the union's that much weaker with revolving door unknowing, unskilled job workers, a fruit of PAS.

There was a time when preloaders and drivers saw each other daily, shot the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, and etc. Now you'll never know which work-release loaded your truck and if you'll actually be shot to :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:.