WHAT DRIVES YOU/ YOUR PKG CAR???

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
No usually a kid is just much more valuable at one or the other. We had a high schooler that hit mid 90's off the mound and for a small 1a school would blow about anyone away at that speed but he was such a good shortstop that it wasn't worth it to put him on the mound.

I played with lots of kids that threw 90+ but if they could hit and were good athletes it's almost always a better decision to put them in the field.

Good for him being able to continue to do both though because you never know either one could end up putting you in the league.

My thoughts on this have changed over the last few years but I would say if he gets drafted let him go. College coaches are not there to develop talent
They need to win and keep their jobs. Where as the minors is all about developing the talent they have record be damned.

Yes. That is what we have been told.. For some reason they want you to go to a juco for a yr or 2. True about the 4 yr schools. Your very correct

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes. That is what we have been told.. For some reason they want you to go to a juco for a yr or 2. True about the 4 yr schools. Your very correct
I've never understood why your prospects who are right on the edge don't all go juco?

You can be drafted after your freshman or sophomore year. Go D1 and you're locked in til your junior year. And baseball is an odd sport. Lots of people don't get it to full click until mid to late twenties. I played against mike Broadway for the Giants. He's been throwing upper 90's for almost a decade now but it wasn't until last summer at 27/28 that it all finally clicked for him and he got his shot.

It's a funny game but one I love. I always tell people it's different from basketball and football. You can't pick up a glove bat and cleats at 16 years old and expect to excel.

3 done 3 to go

I've never understood why your prospects who are right on the edge don't all go juco?

You can be drafted after your freshman or sophomore year. Go D1 and you're locked in til your junior year. And baseball is an odd sport. Lots of people don't get it to full click until mid to late twenties. I played against mike Broadway for the Giants. He's been throwing upper 90's for almost a decade now but it wasn't until last summer at 27/28 that it all finally clicked for him and he got his shot.

It's a funny game but one I love. I always tell people it's different from basketball and football. You can't pick up a glove bat and cleats at 16 years old and expect to excel.

Amen brother. Its weird. I played basketball in the same college. Set all the records. All still stand. My only regret is I didn't play baseball too. I was better at it.

Brownslave688

Amen brother. Its weird. I played basketball in the same college. Set all the records. All still stand. My only regret is I didn't play baseball too. I was better at it.
Lol my best friend 6'6" 190 in high school didn't pitch any in high school until the last month of the season clocked at 87/88 with a nasty slider. Wouldn't of taken much work to get him into the mid 90's likely.

He went to college for basketball never played much and that was that. He has the same regret. Was better in high school at basketball but had way more upside in baseball. Lots of kids just don't care for baseball though. Too boring for this instant gratification generation.

3 done 3 to go

Lol my best friend 6'6" 190 in high school didn't pitch any in high school until the last month of the season clocked at 87/88 with a nasty slider. Wouldn't of taken much work to get him into the mid 90's likely.

He went to college for basketball never played much and that was that. He has the same regret. Was better in high school at basketball but had way more upside in baseball. Lots of kids just don't care for baseball though. Too boring for this instant gratification generation.

Yes. Soccer is the easy sport now. Anyone can do it. The baseball interest is shrinking. Baseball in my opinion. Is the hardest sport to play

MAKAVELI

And that's a misconception for many athletes. There is no instant gratification to be at the top level at any of the sports. It takes talent, hard work, dedication and sacrifice. You can't just pick up a basketball at 16 and expect to be able to make it to the NBA. Obviously there are exceptions in every sport. But I guarantee you most who make it to the NBA have been playing as soon as they could walk and pick up a ball.

Brownslave688

And that's a misconception for many athletes. There is no instant gratification to be at the top level at any of the sports. It takes talent, hard work, dedication and sacrifice. You can't just pick up a basketball at 16 and expect to be able to make it to the NBA. Obviously there are exceptions in every sport. But I guarantee you most who make it to the NBA have been playing as soon as they could walk and pick up a ball.
Agree there are exceptions in basketball and football. Doesn't happen often but you hear about kids that start playing at 15/16 a decent amount. Can't say I've ever heard of a mlb batter that started playing at 16. It's just a little different.

Brownslave688

Yes. Soccer is the easy sport now. Anyone can do it. The baseball interest is shrinking. Baseball in my opinion. Is the hardest sport to play
Hockey is right up there with baseball but until one stands in the box and sees a 98 mph fastball coming at them they can't truly understand.

I was talking to my dad about this the other day. Basketball and football have many skills that are just natural. Especially football. If you're bigger and faster than people that's all it takes lots of the time.

Baseball has so many learned skills that you have to start young and slowly build one skill on another

Brownslave688

Yeah. Happens more in football than anything else. Probably because it's more of a sheer man on man who is more athletic sport.

Judging by this quote in the article I would say for baseball it's very very rare.

"I’d like to know if there’s anybody that’s played at his level and didn’t play baseball until that late,” said Doug Reynolds, the scout who signed him for Milwaukee in 2005. “You had guys where you’d say he was a football guy and maybe he crossed over. But we’re talking about a non-athlete at any level.”

MAKAVELI

Yeah. Happens more in football than anything else. Probably because it's more of a sheer man on man who is more athletic sport.

Judging by this quote in the article I would say for baseball it's very very rare.

"I’d like to know if there’s anybody that’s played at his level and didn’t play baseball until that late,” said Doug Reynolds, the scout who signed him for Milwaukee in 2005. “You had guys where you’d say he was a football guy and maybe he crossed over. But we’re talking about a non-athlete at any level.”
It definitely happens more in football, but it's still an exception to start late and make it to the pros.

Brownslave688

It definitely happens more in football, but it's still an exception to start late and make it to the pros.
Yep. I also think for some of the non power football schools to compete they sign athletes not necessarily football players and figure they have 5 years to mold them.

I've watched the university of Missouri do it with 2 DE in the last 6-7 years.

MAKAVELI

Yep. I also think for some of the non power football schools to compete they sign athletes not necessarily football players and figure they have 5 years to mold them.

I've watched the university of Missouri do it with 2 DE in the last 6-7 years.
I guess for those schools, they figure they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Brownslave688

Its a lot more than athletic ability. Just look at Jaryrd Hayne.
No one is saying it's the only thing just that it's much more likely.

I had a baseball coach once tell me you know what the beauty of baseball is? It's the only sport where 9 fat slow kids that know how to play the game can beat 9 great athletes that don't.

Won't always happen but to a degree that's pretty true.