What happened in Erie, Pa.?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I heard a rumor that 4 drivers were fired a week ago on Thursday. Then a couple of days later the Manager and a Sup got the boot. I used to have a feeder run to Erie. Does anyone have any details?

UPSSOCKS

The manager and sup part of the story is true, but I am not so sure about the four drivers. Last time I heard it was two drivers.

dodptsup

According to the UPS mechanics news network, there was an investigation into padding miles on delivery runs. Some drivers were going to be fired over it, but one of them had a text message from the center manager, reminding him to make sure he had added in enough miles for the day. From what I heard, 3 were let go, of which one was the center manager. Not sure about the other 2.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
According to the UPS mechanics news network, there was an investigation into padding miles on delivery runs. Some drivers were going to be fired over it, but one of them had a text message from the center manager, reminding him to make sure he had added in enough miles for the day. From what I heard, 3 were let go, of which one was the center manager. Not sure about the other 2.

The perfect combination of dishonesty and stupidity. Take a look at the GTS vehicle reports. If the start mileage today is lower than the end mileage yesterday, you're busted. I hate to see people get fired, but if your stupid enough lie or cheat when its documented you ask for it.

Just_another_day_at_work

Love micromanagment. I think dodptsup meant to drive it up. The best this month for me was 3 drivers doing 1 pick up at the same time just to get "8" plan and I did get 8 hour plan. Management is happy everything looks cool for I.E. Just paid OT for 3 drivers and wasted gas. :dissapointed:

just interested

I'm new and don't understand the # of miles part. What has that got to do with anything? Don't your deliveries change? Don't you have to avoid traffic every once in awhile, so the mileage may change for that reason?

Why are the number of miles important?

Thanks

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I'm new and don't understand the # of miles part. What has that got to do with anything? Don't your deliveries change? Don't you have to avoid traffic every once in awhile, so the mileage may change for that reason?

Why are the number of miles important?

Thanks
No everything is the same every day. And all pkgs weigh 17 pds.
JK being a smarty. You should get extra time for miles, but its just something else to dog us for.

bigbrownhen

Miles are part of the magical equation that UPS uses to evaluate how effecient you are doing your job. Miles, number of pkgs, stops, pick ups, and hours you worked are all part of it. Each route is time studied to see what a 9.5 hr day should be, well, as far as a computer is concerned anyway. Reality tends to disagree with the computer.

Re-Raise

Miles, stops, number of packages and pickups all go into your planned day. These numbers are fed into the system at the end of each day. The result is a number that UPS says it should have taken you to complete that day's work.

If it took you longer than that amount then you are running over your allowed time.

This looks bad for you and your center's management which would give them the incentive to inflate miles to make your planned day look larger in the system.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No everything is the same every day. And all pkgs weigh 17 pds.
JK being a smarty. You should get extra time for miles, but its just something else to dog us for.

is 17 pounds the average that we get per box...ummm I think Im getting screwed. Something else I have been curious about is drive speed, can there be a variance if your driving in business parks and dock areas most of the day in which case your going 15-20 mph. Is speed manually put into a route allowance or is everybody the same. Also, if you have a dock route and have to wait longer on average for people to open the dock and answer the bell can there be a variance for that. maybe p-man can comment, sorry to change the direction of the post!