What happens if contract is voted no?

Legitimyze

Been here 4 years so this is my 1st time voting on a contract. If the purposed one is not accepted, do they re negotiate or strike?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Been here 4 years so this is my 1st time voting on a contract. If the purposed one is not accepted, do they re negotiate or strike?

Supposed to renegotiate.

WILL be renegotiated. It will be renegotiated 3 times before any strike will happen. So you definitely should use at least 2 no votes. You wouldn’t go to a car dealership and take the first offer do you?

bowhnterdon

If it is voted down, depends of the percentage of no votes as to what happens. Close? Most likely a small tweak here and there, then another vote. A big No vote? The IBT will forced to actually make it better..

Blackstream

If it is voted down, depends of the percentage of no votes as to what happens. Close? Most likely a small tweak here and there, then another vote. A big No vote? The IBT will forced to actually make it better..
I remember in the last contract, one of the results of the no vote renegotiate was part timers had this pool of money that could go to their raises... I think it was an extra 25 cents added to our raise each year, for the first 3 years or so. Unless they decided health care costs got too big, in which case the money would go there instead.

Weirdly enough, we only got that money in our first raise, the one we had to get a retro check for.

john chesney

All the negotiators get to go on more vacations. Maybe that’s why they have this :censored2: agreement hoping we vote it down so they can do more golfing

542thruNthru

All the negotiators get to go on more vacations. Maybe that’s why they have this :censored2: agreement hoping we vote it down so they can do more golfing

What's this WE :censored2:? Don't you have a bingo game to get to old Man! ;)

giphy-18.gif

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
its really all in the numbers. we need a massive voter turnout of the 250000 employees. last contract if i remember right like 65000 out of i think 210000 voted and that's obviously less than half which then changes the vote count rules to 66% of no votes needed as opposed to 50%. i think once you get into those lower numbers its gonna be difficult to get a overwhelming no vote to affect any real change. in fact as we have seen in the past with supplements, if its close enough it may get rammed through and justified because of lack of voter turnout. they spun the 93% strike vote garbage so I'm sure they can spin low voter percentage

ski or die

Ski or Die
If the contract is voted down, company and union negotiators will sit down at a table in a serene sitting somewhere in the Caribbean and consider carefully the hourlies requests and needs and try really hard to meet their demands. Then head to the beach with some beach babes and Bahama Mama drinks and congratulate themselves on what a fine job they did and extend the contract until after Christmas so as not to interrupt the joy of everyone receiving their gifts we should deliver for the holidays. There was a time when a great philosopher once said "Strike, Strike, Strike." Sounds like a good idea to me.

LagunaBrown

WILL be renegotiated. It will be renegotiated 3 times before any strike will happen. So you definitely should use at least 2 no votes. You wouldn’t go to a car dealership and take the first offer do you?
If it was only that easy, but it’s not. Ask Z and the other regions that got the contract imposed on them. Also if not enough Teamsters vote it could be ratified by the IBT. If we strike the president could step in and force us to work though it which would significantly weaken the Unions position. The bottom line is a no vote does not guarantee a strike and you could get better or you could get worse. You have to decide if the original contract offer is worth the risk of a strike you area.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Also if not enough Teamsters vote it could be ratified by the IBT.
Yeah....and what was the thought process when that trapdoor was written into the IBT Constitution?

(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.

Last edited: