What happens if contract is voted no?

Superteeth2478

Yeah....and what was the thought process when that trapdoor was written into the IBT Constitution?

(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.
You know, seeing as how the union and the company are both pushing this as the best contract since sliced bread, this must also be their last, best, and final offer, right? Meaning that if we vote this down by the above-mentioned margin it's an automatic strike vote. Unless they're full of :censored2:, anyways. They're probably full of :censored2:.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yeah....and what was the thought process when that trapdoor was written into the IBT Constitution?

(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.
wow!

that's scary

twoweeled

If it was only that easy, but it’s not. Ask Z and the other regions that got the contract imposed on them. Also if not enough Teamsters vote it could be ratified by the IBT. If we strike the president could step in and force us to work though it which would significantly weaken the Unions position. The bottom line is a no vote does not guarantee a strike and you could get better or you could get worse. You have to decide if the original contract offer is worth the risk of a strike you area.
We're not striking or anywhere near it at this point. So no need to worry about Trump stepping in and "supposedly" weaken the Union's position. A no vote at this point, is no where near a strike. Not even close.
If a no vote were to happen, why on earth would you think the company would come back with a worse vote?? "Ahhh, they didn't pass that proposition, maybe if we worsen it, they'll pass that one!" Maybe if they cut pay in half, they'll jump all over it!!

puzzled.png

LagunaBrown

We're not striking or anywhere near it at this point. So no need to worry about Trump stepping in and "supposedly" weaken the Union's position. A no vote at this point, is no where near a strike. Not even close.
If a no vote were to happen, why on earth would you think the company would come back with a worse vote?? "Ahhh, they didn't pass that proposition, maybe if we worsen it, they'll pass that one!" Maybe if they cut pay in half, they'll jump all over it!!

puzzled.png
Well apparently you got it all figured out don’t you...... I made my point and rational minds will comprehend the risk involved. It’s your words vs. ink and paper.

twoweeled

Well apparently you got it all figured out don’t you...... I made my point and rational minds will comprehend the risk involved. It’s your words vs. ink and paper.
1. I do have it figured out, regarding a strike not happening and getting a worse offer if this is voted down. Thanks!
2. My words vs ink on paper? Where is it written we will definitely go on strike if voted down, or a worse offer will follow if voted down? (not that I'd believe it anyway).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thanks, but that's old news.

* Half.... *
Then why didn’t you post it here? That way when it happens people expect it.

I did Chief, started a whole thread about it, two weeks ago.

Added a couple of red asterisks to my previous reply to help guide you to the link you apparently overlooked, if you're interested, as it's not an exclusively Southwest issue.

Just cursor and click where it says * Half.... * above.

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

1. I do have it figured out, regarding a strike not happening and getting a worse offer if this is voted down. Thanks!
2. My words vs ink on paper? Where is it written we will definitely go on strike if voted down, or a worse offer will follow if voted down? (not that I'd believe it anyway).
Your opinion vs contractual language.

LagunaBrown

I did Chief, started a whole thread about it, two weeks ago.

Added a couple of red asterisks to my previous reply to help guide you to the link you apparently overlooked, if you're interested, as it's not an exclusively Southwest issue.

Just cursor and click where it says * Half.... * above.
Good, I’ll make sure to reference it when it happens.

Tony Q

Been here 4 years so this is my 1st time voting on a contract. If the purposed one is not accepted, do they re negotiate or strike?
In my opinion they will look at it and make a decision. Don't be surprised if UPS says "this is our last, best, and final offer. You don't like this 14,800,000,000 then take you chances.