What if it’s a just Better not Bigger thing?

JustDeliverIt

We all remember when Carol got rid of HR and other positions, then sold ups freight and now she is cutting 12000 jobs , not laying off but Cutting. Which means that those jobs with never exist again even if we go back to Covid volume. Right after peak season was over, she came out and send a thank you message and the centers all over the nation buying pizzas and donuts. All the sudden we are struggling.

At some point the shareholders/board are going to have to hold Carol accountable for her poor leadership. Turning away profitable work on the same street we go down every day because it doesn't hit the margins that is desired is ridiculous. It's still profitable and it takes away the volume we had.

The downturn in the economy along with post pandemic volume loss is real, but people got used to ordering online for 2 years. They still are and the work is out there but her philosophy is flawed and it's starting to show.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Oh…..and then let’s blame the Union for driving away our business…..yeah :censored2:ing right!
Everything you said is right on. I went to a management retirement party a couple of weeks ago, all current and former management. Among the current UPSers there was ZERO pride and just a general sense of doom. They have been beaten down to the point they are just going through the motions. I'm sure at least some of them had heard about the cuts, but it is deeper than that.

Transfer that to an operation and if it is clear that supervision has no pride, why bother or care? I feels like UPS is in a slow death spiral into the land of forgotten great companies....

On the bright side, it's supposed to get warmer this week....

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Everything you said is right on. I went to a management retirement party a couple of weeks ago, all current and former management. Among the current UPSers there was ZERO pride and just a general sense of doom. They have been beaten down to the point they are just going through the motions. I'm sure at least some of them had heard about the cuts, but it is deeper than that.

Transfer that to an operation and if it is clear that supervision has no pride, why bother or care? I feels like UPS is in a slow death spiral into the land of forgotten great companies....

On the bright side, it's supposed to get warmer this week....

On the Union side our members are seldom going to any any retirement parties..they did in the past and both hourly and management would show up..Your observations are correct..I remember a well liked Union part timer who retired with 35 years service that the company provided the typical send off, which was appreciated. What pissed me off was that no Union Official showed up for his presentation, in contrast if a full time feeder driver retired it would be on their agenda.

When I left I didn’t even want a cake, the Center Manager wanted me to come back to the building for some form of recognition. I was not falling for it and never returned. Over the years I seen how the Company treated their employees, it would be hypocritical for me to show up thinking that my years of service really meant anything to UPS or the Union. They knew that when I left.

I came into the building quietly over 45 years ago and left the same way…

anonymous23456

On the Union side our members are seldom going to any any retirement parties..they did in the past and both hourly and management would show up..Your observations are correct..I remember a well liked Union part timer who retired with 35 years service that the company provided the typical send off, which was appreciated. What pissed me off was that no Union Official showed up for his presentation, in contrast if a full time feeder driver retired it would be on their agenda.

When I left I didn’t even want a cake, the Center Manager wanted me to come back to the building for some form of recognition. I was not falling for it and never returned. Over the years I seen how the Company treated their employees, it would be hypocritical for me to show up thinking that my years of service really meant anything to UPS or the Union. They knew that when I left.

Thank you for doing your job with conscience. Long gone are the days when a company man rewarded for his longevity. We are now just steppingstones for Wall Street to the next higher earning number. I'm sorry to say that we do not have a budget for your party. Otherwise, we would have thrown you a bash.

80762461-0-image-a-199_1706850127764.jpg

Pullman Brown

giphy.gif

DriverNerd

I’m one of the only reasons many of the business on my route stay with UPS, and I’m sure many other drivers do the same thing for their routes.
I agree for sure. I've been a cut driver for years and I hear a lot of shippers talk about their driver. I try to make an effort to make fun of every driver at every pickup that talks about them and I usually get huge laughs in the process. To me, this just shows the type of relationship they have together. Just mention Fedex or Amazon and watch them start bashing them.

Brown Down

I agree for sure. I've been a cut driver for years and I hear a lot of shippers talk about their driver. I try to make an effort to make fun of every driver at every pickup that talks about them and I usually get huge laughs in the process. To me, this just shows the type of relationship they have together. Just mention Fedex or Amazon and watch them start bashing them.
Yep. When I was a cover driver I used to get questioned if the regular was in his 50th vacation of the year. Always laughing as they said it. Now mine always pick on me a d when I'm off they usually scare the crap out of the replacement without knowing it's not me.
It's definitely what sets us apart. Or at least it used to be.