What if it’s a just Better not Bigger thing?

PoirotAtUPS

Everything you said is right on. I went to a management retirement party a couple of weeks ago, all current and former management. Among the current UPSers there was ZERO pride and just a general sense of doom. They have been beaten down to the point they are just going through the motions. I'm sure at least some of them had heard about the cuts, but it is deeper than that.

Transfer that to an operation and if it is clear that supervision has no pride, why bother or care? I feels like UPS is in a slow death spiral into the land of forgotten great companies....

On the bright side, it's supposed to get warmer this week....
A UPS retirement party is a rare event and must have been privately funded (vs. historical) - haven’t seen one that wasn’t private in 5 years.

The gloom is appropriate - the cuts began immediately after the earnings call - UPS way overbuilt during the pandemic and over hired center management for non pandemic volume levels. Carol doesn’t want to admit this as her whole shtick is “better not bigger”. She’s cutting everything she thinks they can get by with, regardless if it is profitable.

Make no mistake, the future of UPS is to outsource and automate everything possible. Pay attention and support your union because that’s the only protection left. Management has no protection.

Yep. When I was a cover driver I used to get questioned if the regular was in his 50th vacation of the year. Always laughing as they said it. Now mine always pick on me a d when I'm off they usually scare the crap out of the replacement without knowing it's not me.
It's definitely what sets us apart. Or at least it used to be.
My cover drivers would always mess with my customers

Gumby is in jail, Gumby is on gay cruise, Gumby got fired.. LoL

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
What do they do and how many should UPS have per center? I am in Operations...I know what they do but just want to hear from the GREATEST RPCD opinion.
They don’t do anything honestly

maybe chase some misloads and get bitched at by some email ..

Our Diad tells us how to get to the next stop now ..

The old school On road supervisors who actually knew routes and trained are extinct .

RIP MANAGEMENT
🧔‍♂️✊

PoirotAtUPS

They don’t do anything honestly

maybe chase some misloads and get bitched at by some email ..

Our Diad tells us how to get to the next stop now ..

The old school On road supervisors who actually knew routes and trained are extinct .

RIP MANAGEMENT
🧔‍♂️✊
A good assessment - driving is now taught online - talked a couple who’s first time on the actual seat with hands on the wheel was the in-person test.

DriverNerd

Back in @MECH-II day was manual transmission for test only

You knew how to drive a manual or you FAIL
🧔‍♂️✊
They took us out in the oldest, crappiest manual cattle car rusting away outside. My left leg still hurts trying to push down that clutch. We only had a few automatics back then though.

My favorite part now is that we have a list of drivers willing to drive a manual that car wash uses.

DOK

We use to have a sup that make you drive 15 miles to deliver a sure post misload, yesterday I called a new sup about a business misload I had that was 3 miles away and told him I can deliver it and he told me to sheet it missed . Very disappointing
I’ve been told to sheet missed next day air misloads, incredibly.

DOK

At some point the shareholders/board are going to have to hold Carol accountable for her poor leadership. Turning away profitable work on the same street we go down every day because it doesn't hit the margins that is desired is ridiculous. It's still profitable and it takes away the volume we had.

The downturn in the economy along with post pandemic volume loss is real, but people got used to ordering online for 2 years. They still are and the work is out there but her philosophy is flawed and it's starting to show.
Are her days numbered? What is the process of getting her ousted?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Are her days numbered? What is the process of getting her ousted?

She will leave on her own terms.. is there a retention agreement. I don’t know if she has one considering her position as a CEO. I believe she is now over 65 and was already a multi millionaire before her UPS gig. She will not be hurting…legacies are a thing in the past, it is all about the money now…