What should I Do?

Pasaholic

I have a gay customer at hair shop who evertime I go in there hits on me and says things like "are you delivering a big brown package to me" or nice buldge in you brown shorts", I'm not gay and it getting on my nerves, what can I do?

A

Anonymous Comment

I have a gay customer at hair shop who evertime I go in there hits on me and says things like "are you delivering a big brown package to me" or nice buldge in you brown shorts", I'm not gay and it getting on my nerves, what can I do?

Put a *** **** in a box and give him the big brown package delivery.

mgator39

If you have a good relationship with your center manager tell him and let him tell you what to do or say (CYA). UPS will generally side with the customer with this kind of situation so be VERY careful what you do or say.

B

bigdog2

have you said anything to your super , if not let them know . cover your self you never know what he may say , to ups. if it keeps up tell ups you will not make delivery to this person.

over9five

Staff member
"UPS will generally side with the customer..."

That's for sure!

center manager "Obviously, Pasaholic, you are a closet homosexual and you have brought on these come-ons by your own secret desires".

Sorry Pas, you know I'm kidding! If it were me, I'd grin and bear it while I was there. To be really honest I would give it right back to him. I bet I could put on one REAL good gay act!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is he the only person working at this hair salon? If not, ignore and avoid him and deal with the other person(s). If he is, ignore his advances, deliver the package (the box, not the "package"), and leave. I am assuming that, since this is a hair salon, there is a good possibility that this is a COD stop, which will make my advice more difficult to follow. Maintain your professionalism, complete the delivery, then leave. I know, I know, easier said than done, but after a few deliveries in complete silence he should get the picture. If he persists, speak with your mgt team to seek their advice. Perhaps a visit by your center manager could put an end to this for you. If all else fails, ask your center manager to make this stop a "pick up at bldg" stop.

smf0605

I hope you're kiddng about the "side with the customer" answer. UPS does not accept sexual harassment from employees OR customers. You need to tell your center manager.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have a florist who is like this with. I jokingly flirt back since he know I am 110% not gay or into that at all. I tell him gay jokes all the time and everything. Why be uptight about it and make it uncomfortable. Even when I had my helper with me I would tell the florist that I had some fresh meat for him.

Tony31yrs

Put the harassment on file with your supe, but make sure that a union rep is there to witness it. Otherwise the supe could later deny that you made the complaint. This way your butt is covered-in more ways than one.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I tell him gay jokes all the time and everything. Why be uptight about it and make it uncomfortable.

I too have a gay receiver (no pun intended) working at this hospital. Maybe its just me but he seems to get excited whenever I deliver anything shaped like a long tube to him.

UPS Lifer

Put the harassment on file with your supe, but make sure that a union rep is there to witness it. Otherwise the supe could later deny that you made the complaint. This way your butt is covered-in more ways than one.

This is exactly what you need to do as a 1st step. You may have to document your concern.

2nd step is to let him know he is making you uncomfortable with those comments and to please stop. This is no different than any other type of harassment.

If I were your center manager I would get with HR make sure you documented the incidents and place them in your file. If this person didn't stop, I would set up a meeting with the store owner and HR and the employee and explain UPS position. If he was the store owner the conversation would be with him. I would also let him know that if the behavior persisted we would not deliver to the location until the location was harassment free.

It should also be noted that one of the first things I would ask you is how you would like this situation to be resolved. Your dignity and respect should be UPS's main concern.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
:laughing:Your dignity and respect should be UPS's main concern.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Are you freakin' kidding me? Start hitting on every female employee in the place. Ask if they want to be your helper next peak, they can work with a real man! :peaceful:

dillweed

Some people are bothered more by this type of behavior than others. As posted, some see the humor and others are offended.

Comments about a man's bulge are just as disgusting as those about a woman's boobs and it's difficult to remain professional when some creep is making lewd remarks.

upslifer has some good ideas. I'd be tempted to ask this pervert to please stop the comments and that you're not interested. See what happens. If it continues go to the center manager with a union rep and let them know you have already told him that you don't appreciate the comments.

I'd fully expect the center manager to speak with weener-head and make it clear that, if the harassment continues, he'll have to pick his crap up at the customer counter. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and this one is well worth squeaking over. Best of luck!

Some people are bothered more by this type of behavior than others. As posted, some see the humor and others are offended.

Comments about a man's bulge are just as disgusting as those about a woman's boobs and it's difficult to remain professional when some creep is making lewd remarks.

upslifer has some good ideas. I'd be tempted to ask this pervert to please stop the comments and that you're not interested. See what happens. If it continues go to the center manager with a union rep and let them know you have already told him that you don't appreciate the comments.

I'd fully expect the center manager to speak with weener-head and make it clear that, if the harassment continues, he'll have to pick his crap up at the customer counter. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and this one is well worth squeaking over. Best of luck!
Good Post Dill, except I think I would reverse the order on part of your advice.\
If it continues go to the center manager with a union rep and let them know you don't appreciate the comments. THEN the next time a comment was made I would ask this pervert to please stop the comments and that you're not interested.
I might even inform the perv that I had already talked to my Manager. This way you are already on the books as having reported the incidents and if the customer calls in accusing you of starting trouble, you should be covered.