What to expect from my Orion ride?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Yes and no. I used to work in an orion center though so I've already been through the initial orion BS once and will have to go through it again...Dealing with the Orion weenie isn't a big deal--hell it's almost fun to get them worked up, but watching the on cars and center manager go through the five stages of orion implementation can be a pain.

1) After the initial "Orion is gonna be great" crap they try to convince themselves and drivers, but when they see the fallout from Orion they are like,"All these drivers planned days went through the roof and their mileage is way over what they weenies say it needs to be. No Way, this can't be happening!" (Denial).
2) Next comes the butt chewing they get on several conference calls while they see their MIP bonus floating away. They threaten drivers and they get really pissed (Anger).
3)Next, they see that the drivers have figured out that they are being given conflicting directives and they can't be disciplined because they are just working as directed so they start begging the drivers to make it work (Bargaining).
4)The on cars and center manager see that begging the drivers didn't work and that Orion has completely screwed everything up for them and they just start moping around, taking random days off (some taking weeks off with no explanation) (Depression).
5) Finally the center passes the orion implementation test and drivers who have experimented with not following Orion see that they aren't being talked to about doing it their way anymore. The orion compliance % for the center drops, but the sups have a lot less guys being paid over and less miles so they realize they just have to live with it and take the lumps for crappy compliance %. (Acceptance).
I have to say, a lot of thought went into that and I commend you for that. I've read that three times, how informative and true to the core . The bonus situation linked to this creates havoc and number one , three and five on your list are my favorites. It backfired and went the wrong direction sort of speak, and here comes buddy up to the driver to make things happen, and last of course is the acceptance of failure and live with it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am impressed with your comical satirical picture of Orion . What a realistic look at 20million dollars down the drain with a empty bag. The guy in the picture is puzzled along with the rest of us as to where is Orion and what does Orion really do.
The guy in the photo is Vince the ShamWow guy, he is the cokehead who does infomercials peddling chamois towels, food choppers, and other junky, overpriced and overhyped gimmicks. I'm surprised UPS didn't hire him to do PCM's extolling the miracle of ORION to the centers where it is being implemented.

upsbeernut

Wednesday is my time to shine with Orion. Nice job doing it on Wednesday, the only day of the week where 90% of the businesses are pulled off along with the 50 package and bag post office stop. MMMM, sounds a little too coincidental and ive heard they get on your truck and fine tune it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Wednesday is my time to shine with Orion. Nice job doing it on Wednesday, the only day of the week where 90% of the businesses are pulled off along with the 50 package and bag post office stop. MMMM, sounds a little too coincidental and ive heard they get on your truck and fine tune it.
Of course they tweak the load. They do that on the annual safety ride as well. You can just look at the load and know a supe is going to ride with you.

Overpaid Union Thug

I saw one of the ORION weenies in my center today. I just laugh whenever I see any of those guys because I just happen to know for a fact that the various ORION teams across the country are sometimes staffed with management rejects (part-time sups that didn't pass the full-time management candidate test) and/or people from outside UPS that understand little to nothing about how drivers do our jobs. Let alone how their niffty little disaster of a program is going to affect things .

Sent using BrownCafe App

When I had my OJS ride,a few years ago. They had 2 preloaders in my truck. Just to make sure it was loaded stop per stop.

My sup looked like a giant A-hole,when I pulled out a signed statement from both preloaders.

OJS ride,thrown out! lmao

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I had my OJS ride,a few years ago. They had 2 preloaders in my truck. Just to make sure it was loaded stop per stop.

My sup looked like a giant A-hole,when I pulled out a signed statement from both preloaders.

OJS ride,thrown out! lmao
hurr-gaiz-moar-dancing-gumby-o.gif

upsbeernut

Of course they tweak the load. They do that on the annual safety ride as well. You can just look at the load and know a supe is going to ride with you.
Had it Tuesday instead and I was twice as tired the next day. We didn't make the projected mileage only off by 3 miles wow ill give you the gas money for that. He flipped out when I broke off to deliver a high school. He flipped out when I had to break off to start my pickups at 3:30. He kept asking Do you think you can run this whole area while we are here and make your NDA ? Today he came up and said well we did pretty good but you didn't scratch, well da get out of my face I didn't scratch cause you reduced the mileage with 179 stops overloaded. Orion is only implemented to add more stops with less miles. That constant looking for stuff on different shelves wore me out. You have to find it cause your not allowed to go back.The one big question I have for the Orion team is why didn't this software tell us the shortest distance to the next stop, we don't know which way that's a judgment call, that question baffled him cause no one knows.

upsbeernut

Yesterday was a nightmare, I backed up over 25 times, took a half hour lunch , got pressured to run more stops in between the NDA, went over by 3 miles which wasn't satisfactory, didn't scratch the route(who cares an hour was taken away 4 years ago) didn't scratch cause the miles went down, had a question that wasn't answered, Why didn't Orion have the capability of telling you which way to go to get to the next stop in the shortest way? No one knows . I look for Orion II to come out. By the way I was so tired today I did it my way ill take the heat. Article 37 can't fire me for performance.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats what I did my second day, I :censored2:canned it. I do the same most days now. 95% in trace, and 24 miles over. Take away all the miles and expect us to work like a crazy person, all...day...long. I work hard, and the fastest I safely can. My sporh, if it mattered has went up by 2 on most days. But it has me set to make 18 PH. Has never happened and never will. I usually do 15. One day I did 16 by some pure act of GOD. And I was almost 2 hrs late. I gave up.