What to expect from my Orion ride?

OptimusPrime

How hardcore do you want to go? If you really want to mess with them go full blown zero driver liability. I was told to bag every resi, knock on the front door. If no one answers say the front porch is a security risk, then proceed to go around back and hide it at a side door or patio. All the while maintaining a brisk walk.

wayfair

swollen member
1st day, you run it by edd or however you normally run it. The second day, you run it like it says... HAVE FUN DIGGING!!! and crossing the street, and making left hand turns, and pissing your regular customers off

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You make it clear before you start the truck that you won't be driving in residential driveways AT ALL. If you're on a route where you usually have to drive down long driveways in the woods you may have to modify this to I won't be backing into driveways. You will not be making end range motions to reach far over bulk to get a package. You won't be crossing multiple lanes of traffic on foot on a busy street, and if forced you make sure you wait until it is very very clear to cross. You won't be cutting through backyards on foot (sadly this has been requested) to get to the next street over. Use designated walkpaths--stay off the grass. You decide when it's lunch time, not them. Take your lunch in your contractual time window and make sure you go to the nearest business where you can use a bathroom and wash your hands before eating.

Stand up for yourself and insist on working safely. Don't be afraid to hurt the orion engineer's feelings because you're going to only spend 2 days with them and the outcome of their little experiment gone bad will actually determine how every day from now on will go for you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My Orion guy never told me to do anything I never did before. The trace may suggest you do it, but if you wouldnt do it before...if there is not a cul de sac, or a burned down house with grass 16 inches high, I still dont do it. In my experience he told me, I am not here to look at your methods, unless you are doing something dangerous, I dont care. I am here to teach you Orion, and make it friendly. For the most part on my end it could work, but has not yet, going on month 3.

I think the biggest thing is make sure they put ALL your businesses in, before pick ups. Unless that is not an issue, because ones they leave out of trace at the end of your day, which when they start adding 40 stops to your day will need to be re tweaked. Or you are breaking trace for them, and not able to keep up with it to bring you to where you need to be at the start of your pickups. In most cases I have seen you cannot keep up with it anyway, unless you know turn by turn, and houses by heart. I have one stops that gives me 2 minutes, it takes me two minutes to get in the gate, on a good day!With 40 air, and 20 ground.

When you go to whole on your rdo, there will be all kinds of stops peppered in. When it is air, look at your commits, do them, you know if it will be tight, if its going to be tight, leave it on commit, and dont look any further.
Good Luck.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
run your route as close to 100% in EDD as you can and treat it as as 3 day OJS.
They told me"we arent looking at your methods" and that's Bollocks. They are looking to see if you are taking shortcuts,speeding ,going in driveways ETC so they can adjust the dispatch range along with implementing ORION. This guy is NOT your friend,and dont fall for the Good Cop routine

Follow the methods to the letter,introduce this guy to EVERYONE on your route and tell them HE will be the one responsible for screwing up the delivery times( my guy got really pissed after the fourth or fifth time i did this lol) as well as following the methods as close to 100% as you can.
have fun! the ride is what YOU make of it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How hardcore do you want to go? If you really want to mess with them go full blown zero driver liability. I was told to bag every resi, knock on the front door. If no one answers say the front porch is a security risk, then proceed to go around back and hide it at a side door or patio. All the while maintaining a brisk walk.
huh??? The ride is to look at the route as a whole to try to cut miles..what is all of this other stuff your saying. My route didnt change much at all..took off a couple pu's that were a little out of the way and cleaned up my resi area...dont make this more than it really is...just a cleaned up edd(or at least my route)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
huh??? The ride is to look at the route as a whole to try to cut miles..what is all of this other stuff your saying. My route didnt change much at all..took off a couple pu's that were a little out of the way and cleaned up my resi area...dont make this more than it really is...just a cleaned up edd(or at least my route)
You lost work? Well you are a lucky man.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
If the orion guy tells you or even suggest you back remind him that is unsafe. If he is telling you to talk lefts that will make it unsafe, don't do it, make a right and go to a safe place to turn. It will piss of the orion guy to know end.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Remember that the person riding with you is, in most cases, an outside contractor not an actual UPS management person. They aren't your boss, and they dont have the authority to make you follow stupid or unsafe instructions. Just focus on doing your job and pretend they arent there.

upsmaninmi

These people are claiming they are management and have been drivers at one time or another. I'm guessing that means they drove for 30 days max and have no idea what we go through. My concern with my route is I have a busy 2 lane rd that runs on the lake, much to busy to run across. I hope they don't imply that i do that cause I'll shut em down. I'm guessing all the customers who's home packages get delivered to their workplace probably shouldn't be that day. I'll do it by the book, skip the flag stop pickups, and take my sweet :censored2: time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Remember that the person riding with you is, in most cases, an outside contractor not an actual UPS management person. They aren't your boss, and they dont have the authority to make you follow stupid or unsafe instructions. Just focus on doing your job and pretend they arent there.
in my area they are supes who have either screwed up and are being punished by having to go across the state and the carolinas to implement ORION or brand new supes who look like they havent hit puberty

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
in my area they are supes who have either screwed up and are being punished by having to go across the state and the carolinas to implement ORION or brand new supes who look like they havent hit puberty

AKA, the dreaded "special assignment."

andrsnbkj

Orion sux it changes daily if it doesn't make sense shut it off that's what I do they can go pound sand

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Work as instructed without violating safety. Ask them how they want you to deliver. If it's anything like 90% of the routes out there, halfway through the day you'll be told to run it like you normally do.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You don't send your all stars out when they ask for "volunteers", you send the expendable ones that aren't performing where they're at.