What type of route is easier on your body?

Upslady20

With the bid list going up in our center tomorrow I am trying to figure out which route to bid on. Since I am female and approaching 48 years old I have to put more thought in it than I used to. I have been a driver for 21 years so I have a couple of choices.
So which is better on your joints and muscles?
A mall route with 95 stops 25 miles and between 400 and 600 packages. With several heavy boxes to put on the docks of Lowes and Home Depot. You drive two different package cars.
A rural route with between 110 to 125 stops 125 miles. The driver on it now runs over by almost 2 hours.
A route that does a large trailer park and some business including Walmart and Home depot. 150 to 185 stops 100 miles.
My manager said if my body was used to it age does not matter. I seem to think that your body gets worn out even if you do everything right.
So looking forward to your thoughts on this.

trickpony1

My manager said if my body was used to it age does not matter. I seem to think that your body gets worn out even if you do everything right.
So looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Did you ask your manager where he did his residency in internal medicine, orthopedics and cardiology?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
upslady20,
I am 48 too, and I have done all three types you mentioned the last 23 years. I started out with a warehouse route, delivered 400 and picked up 600 a day. Then I went to a route that had a Walmart and then DRed all day. I have been on my present area about ten years now, 120 stops, 95% Dr, and 90 miles. It got a little sweeter last year when I bid on an EAM Bid, so they had to pull two hours off my regular route because I hit 9.5 at 5 PM.

I can have any route I want when I bid tomorrow, but I will stay where I am at. There are good and bad things about any route, you just have to decide what you want to do. Our bodies do certainly wear out over the years, it is up to you to look out for yourself. It doesn't take but a few weeks to learn a new area, I am amazed at the high seniority drivers that stay on some back breaking route just because they are afraid of change. Good Luck on your decision.:shifty:

stepitup

lady20...

I can sympathize with your dilemma, I am a 52 year old female driver. I was a coverage driver for 17 years and have experienced all these routes. Three years ago I bid and won a rural route that goes out with about 100 stops, 150 packages and only 6 pickups. I drive around 170 miles a day. You didn't mention how many pickups were involved in any of the available choices but typically a heavy commercial route will have a heavy metro log. Although the 95 stops seems easier on the knees, the jumping in and out of the car will be equivalent to running the rural route with 125 stops. Not to mention all the packages you will be handling (more than once if you have to load them on a handtruck to get them inside the mall). Also, look at the vehicle you will be driving on each route. Is there power steering?? Automatic transmission? Low step to the ground?? Good luck in your decision!

Griff

I'd say take a long look at the truck assigned to each route. I find the truck makes an enormous difference in how your body feels at the end of the day. The new trucks they are throwing into the lineup are amazing. I've driven quite a few different routes with the new ones and it makes a big difference. The power steering and extra low step will save your body more than any heavy residential route ever could.

In package I was swing on every route we had. If it were me I`d go on the rural route. Most of what you deliver will be of the smaller lighter variety. If the other guy is 2 over he might be stroking it. Ask him what he does out there. Second choice might be the mall,your out of the weather most of the time but there`s lots of "carting" and I always hated fighting for a dock space. Best bet is to go feeder.
One question,is package bidding routes on a annual basis now? When I was in pkg if you bid a route it was yours until you bid off it,retired,or died. Here in feeder we bid every six months.

browniehound

I've done'em all too. I would stay away from a mall route becuase you have to handle each package more than once. Personally, I think a house call route in an automatic, power-steering truck is easiest on your body. I want to do as little 2-wheeling as possible.

30andout

Be assured, whatever route or whatever pkg car you get they will change it as soon as you get it. Sorry to sound negative but that's the way it goes with me.

Upslady20

All of the routes have the power steering with low steps but are not automatic. I am currently doing the route with the 150 to 180 stops everyday with only 6 pickups. My feet are taking a beating on that route from the in and out. Since I am in Florida during the snowbird season it stays very heavy on the resi side then in the summer I do pick up a lot of business. The old people drive me crazy. Horrible time allowance
I used to do the mall route that was the route I did two years ago. I left it because I felt the heavy packages were going to shorten my career at ups. I do hope to make it to retirement even if I have to crawl in and out of the car. Picking up the 60 to 70 pounders and putting them on the dock puts a strain on my aging body. I did like the route though it has a good time allowance. And the AC is nice in the mall.
And the rural route I did 4 years ago. It has changed though and became more rural. There used to be a lot of stops on the way out there at business's and schools that are located in other drivers pm work now you just go straight out there. I just can't figure out why the other driver gets it at 8 almost every night. I am used to getting in at around 6 so that bothers me more than anything. I like to have a life after I finish work.
My manager said that we will be getting a time study some time this year so that might help. Or hurt who knows.

helenofcalifornia

I'm with Cachsux, all the routes are re-bid every year??? In Norcal, once you win a route, it's yours until you give it up because you bid and won another route. I thought feeders was the only place that you had to bid every year. And if I were you, (I too am in late 40's) I would bid on the rural route. Are the old people as bad as everyone makes them out to be? I go crazy when I have to follow one old geezer going 20 miles under the speed limit, but a whole state of them??

Overpaid Union Thug

In my 2 short years, and counting, as a cover driver I've experience many different sorts of routes. There are two that I think are the easiest. The first is the "rural routes" where it might take 3 hours to run 30 stops. There is plenty of "windshield time" out on those routes and no traffic, red lights, etc.. The other type of route is the mall route. Mostly indoors and you can load up multiple stops on the pull out dolly. Sometimes the mall routes get slammed with bulk stops but even this it's still pretty easy. I know some drivers hate pickups bad enough that they are willing to run a more difficult route if it doesn't have scheduled pick ups.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My last route was a mall/technology park route and I will tell you 100 times over taht I will never put myself thru that again. I was stressed out beyond all belief and was tired and sore every day. I had that run for 1.5 years until I took my current bid where I do a rural town of about 120-130 stops, maybe 15-20 signatures and 6 pickups in about 120-130 miles.

If you run the rural route, get yourself a good radio to keep from getting bored to quickly.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ask the guys/gals that are cover drivers what the best areas are. We bid on routes for life in our center. I've been on my 800-900 piece monster for 13 years and I'm begining to think I'm one of those afraid of change. But it pays damn well. How long are you stuck with your decision once you make it?

old levi's

blank space
With the bid list going up in our center tomorrow I am trying to figure out which route to bid on. Since I am female and approaching 48 years old I have to put more thought in it than I used to. I have been a driver for 21 years so I have a couple of choices.
So which is better on your joints and muscles?
A mall route with 95 stops 25 miles and between 400 and 600 packages. With several heavy boxes to put on the docks of Lowes and Home Depot. You drive two different package cars.
A rural route with between 110 to 125 stops 125 miles. The driver on it now runs over by almost 2 hours.
A route that does a large trailer park and some business including Walmart and Home depot. 150 to 185 stops 100 miles.

First of all be glad that you're that young. Take the rural route.

Upslady20

We bid every two years in our center. And I already have Sirrus in my present package car. Just will have to get the mechcanic to direct wire another cigarette lighter plug in for me.

Upslady20

Maybe I missed something I am no longer young. Soon to be 48 is not young at UPS. Although the new drivers seem to be slackers most of the time so I usually still look like I am doing a good job.

DS

Fenderbender
We bid every two years in our center. And I already have Sirrus in my present package car. Just will have to get the mechcanic to direct wire another cigarette lighter plug in for me.
Sounds like you dont have the option of a milk run in the country.If I were you I`d go for the mall run.Dont kill yourself with heavy stuff,always ask for help.Sure theres lots of big ugly boxes for the gap,but theres the ones for the sunglass hut that make it easier than your other choices.
I`m 52 and I`m the guy scratch_king talked about that has a heavy industrial commercial residential area combined,and I`m afraid to change.Same area 15 yrs now.I know every nook and cranny of that route,and I know the most efficient way to do it.
I think that everyrone is different as far as how much your body can take,personally I think its keeping me in shape(somewhat)and I`ve been raggin` my sup for a new p7 my p8 has almost 500,000 on it,and its a long haul draggin` myself into it 130 times a day.I`d take the mall.