What would you do

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Is it pretty steady work? My buddy didn't finish his pipefitter apprenticeship due to being too far down on seniority, and there not being enough jobs. That was back around 2008, though.
Here in S.friend. it’s a modern gold rush for anything construction. There’s not enough workers for the work needed

MAKAVELI

I doubt the average tradesman can afford to live in the city even though they make the big bucks. To live in that city takes even BIGGER bucks.
In a 2 income household he can live in the City depending on the spouse's job. If he can make $70 an hour he could live in the City or live quite well in the East Bay.

Last edited:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I would go for certain skilled trades over UPS without thinking twice about it. My brother is a UAW Pipefitter in the Bowling Green Corvette Plant. He basically just sits around doing nothing all day, he is just there in case a plumbing problem pops up on the assembly line. The only time he is really busy is when they do a model change. If GM brings a contractor in to do plumbing work he gets paid to watch them do it. Stuff like that happens on weekends and holidays, so his overtime checks are unbelievable. He will get a $24k signing bonus with their new contract. There will always be a need for certain skills like electrician and plumbing. If you get the experience the sky is the limit if you can manage money and start a business on your own.
all great points. In all honesty, if something were too happen and UPS isn’t an option anymore, who’s going to hire me without any real skill or degree. The 7 years I’ve put in here has only pigeon holed me. So it’s either take a risk or stay with what’s safe.

Poop Head

Judge me.
all great points. In all honesty, if something were too happen and UPS isn’t an option anymore, who’s going to hire me without any real skill or degree. The 7 years I’ve put in here has only pigeon holed me. So it’s either take a risk or stay with what’s safe.
boom.

Shug it.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I doubt the average tradesman can afford to live in the city even though they make the big bucks. To live in that city takes even BIGGER bucks.
Most commute for sure. But I bought during the housing collapse 10 years ago. On paper it was a good move, but I love fishing, hiking, snowboarding. Not very city like. SF has super rich people and abhorrent poverty. It’s depressing.

542thruNthru

@542thruNthru loves the men from SF.

4ZZg.gif

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
You have to admit, The 9ers don’t really have any bonafide superstar on their roster. Jimmy G gets no respect. They have no threatening wideouts. No big name running back. No standout offensive linemen. The only dude on defense that anybody knows of is an aged injured prone defensive back in Richard Sherman. What they’ve done so far is amazing. C’mon, you have to respect that

Whither

Scofflaw
I’m 34. UPS won’t let me transfer so I’m basically chained here. I could take this trade anywhere I want. That’s the driving force behind this. I enjoy UPS, but not SF

My wife is a 2nd year inside wireman apprentice with the local IBEW. Long as the economy holds you can get work as a traveler if you don't mind being away from home. Obviously, in the long you could take your skills and start your own business (but look into the terms re: repaying the union for your training if you want to jump ship: at my wife's local, once you get the journeyman cert it's another 5 years til you're off the hook, otherwise you'll pay for some, if not all, the training).

Are you interviewing where you want to move? If not, it is possible to transfer locals but by no means easy. They call it 'jamming your ticket.' Wife says it's easiest to pull off during your apprenticeship, but process is very dependent on the local, e.g., it's nearly impossible to transfer into my wife's local.

Also: make sure they'll be starting you off as an apprentice. My wife went through 2 years as a 'pre-apprentice' (lower starting wage and her hours didn't count toward her cert) before she got into the apprenticeship. Also, be prepared to spend 1-2 nights a week after work at class, doing homework, studying for tests until you 'turn out.' Finally, as others have said, layoffs are a possibility.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?
can you have a beard?