What would you do

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by S.F. Rush, Nov 16, 2019.

1. S.F. Rush

S.F. Rush All Encompassing Member

Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

What’s it pay the first 5 years?

3. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

If you are young enough, I would say go for it. A lot more possibilities in the trades. You wanted it bad enough to start the process, has anything changed since then?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. S.F. Rush

Year 1=$28
    Year 2=$35
    Year 3=45
    Year 4= $59
    Year 5=$68

5. S.F. Rush

I’m 34. UPS won’t let me transfer so I’m basically chained here. I could take this trade anywhere I want. That’s the driving force behind this. I enjoy UPS, but not SF

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. sailfish

sailfish Duke of Douschebaggery

What would I do? You wouldn't even have to ask me twice.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. zubenelgenubi

There's your answer. It's * that we can't transfer around just because it would be a headache for the pensions. Nope, gotta quit, lose all seniority and hope to get rehired again where you want to go.

Besides, with the trades, once you get to master level, you can start running your own crews and make as much money as you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
  8. S.F. Rush

Year 5 would be 130-150k/yr. not to mention getting off work at 2pm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
  9. zubenelgenubi

Is it pretty steady work? My buddy didn't finish his pipefitter apprenticeship due to being too far down on seniority, and there not being enough jobs. That was back around 2008, though.

10. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

This seems like a no brainer to me brother go get it.

11. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

You'd be crazy not to do it.

12. Don't these jobs have a lot of extended traveling to find/follow work when you have low seniority? Maybe it depends on your area....

13. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

My Nephew completed all his apprenticeships as an lineman and now makes TONS of money working on the big power lines out in Calif and Arizona. . The only drawback I see is its not really a career for a married man with small kids for the first years. He's been at it now for about 10 years and he still travels to jobs all over the country. (He is kind of money hungry though so that may have something to do with it). I told my wife the other day that if he don't settle down and sign on with a steady job like working for a local power company that I see his marriage failing because she is left home twiddling her thumbs with a 3 year old and only sees him a couple tomes a month - if that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

whats her number?

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

She's a cutie too. That's why I think my nephew better get his act together.

16. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Hopefully she delivered that kid by C-section .

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. sailfish

sailfish Duke of Douschebaggery

Getting out of UPS and S.F. in one fell swoop sounds like a no-brainer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I would go for certain skilled trades over UPS without thinking twice about it. My brother is a UAW Pipefitter in the Bowling Green Corvette Plant. He basically just sits around doing nothing all day, he is just there in case a plumbing problem pops up on the assembly line. The only time he is really busy is when they do a model change. If GM brings a contractor in to do plumbing work he gets paid to watch them do it. Stuff like that happens on weekends and holidays, so his overtime checks are unbelievable. He will get a $24k signing bonus with their new contract. There will always be a need for certain skills like electrician and plumbing. If you get the experience the sky is the limit if you can manage money and start a business on your own.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Dumpster, INABAG

Plus you can grow a beard without a Dr. note!

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Seems like a no-brainer to me. I would leave and not look back.