What would you do

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?

If you are young enough, I would say go for it. A lot more possibilities in the trades. You wanted it bad enough to start the process, has anything changed since then?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
If you are young enough, I would say go for it. A lot more possibilities in the trades. You wanted it bad enough to start the process, has anything changed since then?
I’m 34. UPS won’t let me transfer so I’m basically chained here. I could take this trade anywhere I want. That’s the driving force behind this. I enjoy UPS, but not SF

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's your answer. It's * that we can't transfer around just because it would be a headache for the pensions. Nope, gotta quit, lose all seniority and hope to get rehired again where you want to go.

Besides, with the trades, once you get to master level, you can start running your own crews and make as much money as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
There's your answer. It's * that we can't transfer around just because it would be a headache for the pensions. Nope, gotta quit, lose all seniority and hope to get rehired again where you want to go.

Besides, with the trades, once you get to master level, you can start running your own crews and make as much money as you want.
Year 5 would be 130-150k/yr. not to mention getting off work at 2pm

Last edited by a moderator:

rod

Retired 22 years
My Nephew completed all his apprenticeships as an lineman and now makes TONS of money working on the big power lines out in Calif and Arizona. . The only drawback I see is its not really a career for a married man with small kids for the first years. He's been at it now for about 10 years and he still travels to jobs all over the country. (He is kind of money hungry though so that may have something to do with it). I told my wife the other day that if he don't settle down and sign on with a steady job like working for a local power company that I see his marriage failing because she is left home twiddling her thumbs with a 3 year old and only sees him a couple tomes a month - if that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My Nephew completed all his apprenticeships as an lineman and now makes TONS of money working on the big power lines out in Calif and Arizona. . The only drawback I see is its not really a career for a married man with small kids for the first years. He's been at it now for about 10 years and he still travels to jobs all over the country. (He is kind of money hungry though so that may have something to do with it). I told my wife the other day that if he don't settle down and sign on with a steady job like working for a local power company that I see his marriage failing because she is left home twiddling her thumbs with a 3 year old and only sees him a couple tomes a month - if that.

whats her number?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would go for certain skilled trades over UPS without thinking twice about it. My brother is a UAW Pipefitter in the Bowling Green Corvette Plant. He basically just sits around doing nothing all day, he is just there in case a plumbing problem pops up on the assembly line. The only time he is really busy is when they do a model change. If GM brings a contractor in to do plumbing work he gets paid to watch them do it. Stuff like that happens on weekends and holidays, so his overtime checks are unbelievable. He will get a $24k signing bonus with their new contract. There will always be a need for certain skills like electrician and plumbing. If you get the experience the sky is the limit if you can manage money and start a business on your own.