What would you have done?

Oak

I would have reported it. Right now.

I rolled my ankle, many years ago. In a matter of seconds I couldn't reach around it with both hands. Took five weeks off work (on comp by the way) before I could walk on it. I had a hack doctor and think I could have been better, sooner with the right doctor and therapy.

For about three years after I could step on a pea on a sidewalk and down I'd go. Get right back up and walk fine after a few steps. I was lucky I never went down, say in front of a moving vehicle.

It's been 20 years (+ or -) and sometimes the covers still irritate it while trying to sleep.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So when you go to the doc next week when it's the size of your thigh and he finds damage that requires surgery, do you really think UPS will believe it happened as you say? W/C benefits you far better than disability and if you claim it as off the job you're committing insurance fraud. Grow a set and report all injuries/incidents immediately.

Reporting an on-the-job injury after a vacation would definitely make a manager go out for blood. When I was a rookie, I was in the office with a kid who had a long list of compensation/disability claims (everyone's body is different) and watched a division manager tow the line ("I believe this is fraud and I will fire you if the doctor proves you didn't do this at UPS.") in the closest way possible by threatening to fire him (in a round about way) for reporting an injury several days after it happened. He would've been convinced to go out on disability for a legit comp injury if I hadn't been there.

We also had an elderly woman on another sort (absolute sweetheart, one of the nicest women I've ever met at UPS) recently slip/fall at work in the hub right in front of a supervisor. She thought she was OK, then it was hard for her to come in the next day to work. This went on for a few days and then a few weeks, then she found out she had a pretty serious injury (don't have all the details, but she's unable to work) and will have to be out for 4-5+ months.

When she tried to report it as a workman's comp injury, the supervisor suddenly "forgot" what happened and she was discouraged into simply taking disability instead.

Always, always protect yourself.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I had debt and two different new houses. I still went balls deep into the company. Either you got it or You don't.

It's always better to take them on and protect yourself in the long run. It's a little spotty in the beginning, but the payoff is always better than just going along to get along.

35years

Gravy route
In our supplement you are paid vacation AND workman's comp if you are disabled from an on the job injury and have vacation.

Yes, you legally have 30 days to report an injury, but it is best to report it immediately.
Cover your behind. Report it now. Tell them you didn't think it was that bad (which is true) but now you want to see the doctor.
Go to your own doctor first before the UPS doctor. (it is then harder for the UPS doctor to deny it is work related, and harder to disagree with the first doctor about your inability to work.)
If they try to deny the work comp claim talk to your State work comp helpline.
I know of at least 4 drivers who have run into this situation. UPS tried to claim it was not work related simply because it was not reported immediately.
When the insurance company tries to deny payment, they back down when you ask for a work comp hearing (and ask for double damages because of unfair denial of benefits).

Last edited:

By The Book

In our supplement you are paid vacation AND workman's comp if you are disabled from an on the job injury and have vacation.

Yes, you legally have 30 days to report an injury, but it is best to report it immediately.
Cover your behind. Report it now. Tell them you didn't think it was that bad (which is true) but now you want to see the doctor.
Go to your own doctor first before the UPS doctor. (it is then harder for the UPS doctor to deny it is work related, and harder to disagree with the first doctor about your inability to work.)
If they try to deny the work comp claim talk to your State work comp helpline.
I know of at least 4 drivers who have run into this situation. UPS tried to claim it was not work related simply because it was not reported immediately.
When the insurance company tries to deny payment, they back down when you ask for a work comp hearing (and ask for double damages because of unfair denial of benefits).
So you are saying according to your supplement you are required to burn your properly selected vacation time? That stinks...fair maybe. I agree, tell them now but don't go see your doctor. You are using union benefits to pay for an on the job injury......insurance fraud! If this driver is covered and has 30 days by law to report, then use the company's doctor. They can't deny him treatment.

35years

Gravy route
So you are saying according to your supplement you are required to burn your properly selected vacation time? That stinks...fair maybe. I agree, tell them now but don't go see your doctor. You are using union benefits to pay for an on the job injury......insurance fraud! If this driver is covered and has 30 days by law to report, then use the company's doctor. They can't deny him treatment.
1. Nope, you still get your already scheduled vacation. If you end up on work comp that week you can reschedule vacation or get paid vacation pay in addition to work comp.
2 Seeing a 2nd doctor for a work comp claim is covered by work comp insurance in my state as well as others. I have the right to choose my own work comp doctor. You and the Union don't see a bill (UPS's work comp insurance covers the doctor bill). In no way is this insurance fraud. In fact I never go to the UPS doctor except if forced. I chose my own doctor for all work comp treatment. UPS can still force me to see their doctor but my treating physician is officially my own. After the initial visit to your own doctor UPS will force you to see theirs. The next office visit to either doctor determines your choice of treating doctor.

Last edited: